Buyer did not receive item but Canada Post sent delivery confirmation

We shipped an item via Canada Post regular parcel.  Buyer did not want insurance or to pay for more expensive shipping with signature upon receipt.  We received a delivery confirmation email from Canada Post on August 10 stating the item was successfully delivered at 9:08am and the tracking number was provided.  The buyer opened a claim against us because he states he did not get his item.  He thinks maybe the mail carrier left it in his apartment lobby or something like that.  He claims because he did not receive his item, we must refund his full amount plus shipping.  We have the confirmation email and we provided him with the tracking number where he can go online to Canada Post and clearly see for himself that the item was successfully delivered.  His emails are driving me a bit crazy because he keeps saying it's our fault.  Can we do something through ebay to end this open case dispute without having to refund him or hurt our ebay reputation?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone who don't want insurance, you can bet they are scammers or not honest and I am seeing it is happening to you.  Good think you include with tracking number.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I know how annoying this can get when dealing with a difficult customer.  But in all fairness, these things can happen though where Canada Post employee would leave the package in front of a house or in front of a door in an apartment building which they are not suppose to.  The customer could be lying or maybe they are not, all you have to do is call Canada Post and provide them with the tracking number and your information and most likely they will re-reimburse you for the value of the shipment up to $100 plus the shipping charges. 

This has happened to me few times already. 

If the buyer opens a case and you already had uploaded the tracking number when you marked it shipped, then eBay or PayPal can see it and they will not refund the buyer.

Hopefully you end up not loosing any money.  Good luck

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone who don't want insurance, you can bet they are scammers or not honest and I am seeing it is happening to you.  Good think you include with tracking number.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your support as I was thinking the same thing.  I just got off the phone with ebay and they escalated the case and closed it in my favor at the same time.  I provided ebay with the tracking number, they checked it and closed the case.  That was nice and quick but the messages this member was sending were getting "stupid".

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

That's good.

You can report the buyer to eBay for harassing you if the member keeps emailing you.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

We received a delivery confirmation email from Canada Post on August 10 stating the item was successfully delivered at 9:08am and the tracking number was provided. 

Tell him he should :

• talk to the apartment supervisor about security in the mail room
  • make a complaint to the postmaster at his local post office. And that's post OFFICE not the outlet in the back of the drugstore.
  • visit the local police station and make a report about the theft.

All of these should emphasize that you did your duty, and the delivery confirmation from Canada Post will protect you with eBay and Paypal.

The problem is that his item was stolen.

He may also want to contact his tenant's insurance broker about coverage for his loss.

But you are not responsible.

Unless-- if the item was valued over $750 eBay does require Signature Confirmation. Since this protects you (as does confirmation of delivery) you should pay for it (all of a buck fifty) rather than asking the buyer for extra money to cover it.

Less than $750? Not necessary.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply