Buyer now wants to return an item saying she has one exactly like it.

I have a buyer that purchased a 14K gold bracelet from me and now wants to return it. She says she has one exactly like it. I have a no return policy on my listings. I don't feel comfortable with somebody returning something like this. Buyer is fairly new.

Were I to accept am I responsible to return initial shipping costs. Person obviously changed their mind and no longer wants it.

Not sure how to respond to her. Can somebody help me with this. Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is a case of buyer's remorse if you have stated the facts correctly.  You should not end up being out any money.  Message the buyer and let her know you will accept a return of the item she purchased, in the same condition as sent to her.  Let her know she needs to send it back with delivery confirmation or tracking, and ask that she send it in a box with protection from damage.  Also be clear that when you receive it and are satisfied it is the same bracelet you sent her, you will refund the purchase price minus the original shipping.  You will need to satisfy yourself that she does not substitute a cheaper bracelet than what she purchased from you.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

mcrlmn
Community Member

Regardless of any no return policy, eBay has a pretty broad return policy.

According to your post this is buyers remorse, but I would politely offer a full refund upon safe return of the item in the same condition as received.

The buyer is responsible for the cost of return shipping with tracking.

Save all correspondence until the matter is resolved.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Buyer paid for initial shipping costs. These funds go to the post office to pay for shipping to buyer. Do I have to refund this also or just the price of item? Doesn't make sense to me to have to refund this also? .
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Generally speaking, there is no good reason for having a No Returns policy

And No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

You may find that the customer ends up with both a refund (forced by eBay/Paypal) and the purchase (since you said you wouldn't take it back).

Many potential buyers will backbutton away from a No Returns/No Refunds policy.

Mccrim has the answer, ask the buyer to return the bracelet for a full refund. You are not required to offer return shipping. You can have a restocking policy, but not only does that annoy customers who can leave appropriate feedback, but in this instance you can apply it retroactively.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I have not answered the person yet. That's why I am on here asking questions. Who pays for initial shipping is what I would like to know. I understand return shipping. If I have to refund initial shipping cost + price of the item does not make any sense. The post office got that money not me. There's nothing wrong with the item. She obviously changed her mind. If everybody is allowed to do this it can leave us with a lot of out of pocket money no?
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This is a case of buyer's remorse if you have stated the facts correctly.  You should not end up being out any money.  Message the buyer and let her know you will accept a return of the item she purchased, in the same condition as sent to her.  Let her know she needs to send it back with delivery confirmation or tracking, and ask that she send it in a box with protection from damage.  Also be clear that when you receive it and are satisfied it is the same bracelet you sent her, you will refund the purchase price minus the original shipping.  You will need to satisfy yourself that she does not substitute a cheaper bracelet than what she purchased from you.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you maggieb. No doubt its buyer's remorse. I have emailed her and pretty well told her exactly what you told me and that is the only way I am willing to accept a return. I will then have to take the bracelet back to a jeweler to get it checked out. Pain all around. That's why I describe my items as accurately as I can but sometimes its a matter of opinion and not too keen on returns. Especially for a reason like this and for something like this that could be switched. Thank you for your help.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply