CANADA POST OUTRAGEOUS SHIPPING CHARGES !!

grade
Community Member

Am I the the only one on Ebay that has loss Ten's of thousand's of dollars in business  due to Canada Post's beyond sickening charges ????

Do you know what it costs to send international with a tracking # to anywhere in the world besides the USA ?

It has gotten to the point that due to Canada post I lose every week at least 3-5 sales due to shipping charges that are beyond the scope of INSANE.

So, anyone else out there getting screwed by CANADA POST ?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Do you know what it costs to send international with a tracking # to anywhere in the world besides the USA ?

Yes.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Almost all Canada Post parcel rates include confirmation of delivery(tracking), if it is possible to confirm it to the destination country.

This means that you cannot be scammed by a fake Item Not Delivered claim.

For comparison, this is what your US competitors are charging:

https://ircalc.usps.com/

But many of them use the Global Shipping Program which slams their potential buyers with duty and sales taxes plus a service fee in addition to USPS shipping costs.

So any overseas customers are looking at high shipping.

Either they can afford it or they can't.

You are of course also free to either use a freight forwarding company like ChitChatExpress to delivery your shipments to the USPS for a reasonably small fee or to ship by courier like UPS or DHL.

You can also, if you have a great deal more courage and faith in your customers' integrity than most of us, use the cheaper much slower Surface rates.

It's worth noting that USPS decided a couple of years back not to offer overseas surface shipping any more, because of problems with slow delivery complaints.

A possible loss of business is better than a real loss to a scammer, especially in your field which seems to include a lot of high value and bulky items.

Those of us who are selling small cheap items have the luxury of using LetterPost/LightPacket which are cheap and fast but which cannot be tracked. Even there, in some high fraud categories like sports cards and, oddly, CDs, sellers still prefer the expensive shipped services.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

If Buyers want it ....  they pay the postage...

Shipping beyond Canada and the US works to a point...... with tracking.

Then in the summer ... August to Septemeber ....of 2014...  tracking got messed up with many parcels to Europe not being tracked beyond Montreal.

It was a problem.. but I survived.... and that is when it was decided to ship ONLY to Canada and the US.

Today... if someone really wants it  they have you ship to someone in Canada or the US and then the parcel goes international... There are businesses that do this trans-shipping option....

The cost of postage is what it is... one learns to live with it  and use  the eBay option  or Canada Post Business Solutions.....  the new version of Ventureone.

Pull up your socks...  tie up your shoes  ....and get to selling like we all do on eBay.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

You are selling mostly unique high-end items. You want tracking and insurance on those parcels, as a seller. If a buyer wants it, they will pay it. I wouldn't worry overmuch about postage charges. They are what they are and cannot be helped. Unless you want to investigate services like ChitChat which may be available to you from your location in Toronto. 

A bigger problem is that your shipping isn't set up properly. As a fellow Canadian, it won't give me any kind of cost. 

Shipping and handling
Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid Postal Code.

Item location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Shipping to: Worldwide

Afghanistan   Albania   Algeria   American Samoa   Andorra   Angola   Anguilla   Antigua and Barbuda   Argentina   Armenia   Aruba   Australia   Austria   Azerbaijan Republic   Bahamas   Bahrain   Bangladesh   Barbados   Belarus   Belgium   Belize   Benin   Bermuda   Bhutan   Bolivia   Bosnia and Herzegovina   Botswana   Brazil   British Virgin Islands   Brunei Darussalam   Bulgaria   Burkina Faso   Burundi   Cambodia   Cameroon   Canada   Cape Verde Islands   Cayman Islands   Central African Republic   Chad   Chile   China   Colombia   Comoros   Congo, Democratic Republic of the   Congo, Republic of the   Cook Islands   Costa Rica   Cote d Ivoire (Ivory Coast)   Croatia, Republic of   Cyprus   Czech Republic   Denmark   Djibouti   Dominica   Dominican Republic   Ecuador   Egypt   El Salvador   Equatorial Guinea   Eritrea   Estonia   Ethiopia   Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)   Fiji   Finland   France   French Guiana   French Polynesia   Gabon Republic   Gambia   Georgia   Germany   Ghana   Gibraltar   Greece   Greenland   Grenada   Guadeloupe   Guam   Guatemala   Guernsey   Guinea   Guinea-Bissau   Guyana   Haiti   Honduras   Hong Kong   Hungary   Iceland   India   Indonesia   Iraq   Ireland   Israel   Italy   Jamaica   Japan   Jersey   Jordan   Kazakhstan   Kenya   Kiribati   Korea, South   Kuwait   Kyrgyzstan   Laos   Latvia   Lebanon   Lesotho   Liberia   Libya   Liechtenstein   Lithuania   Luxembourg   Macau   Macedonia   Madagascar   Malawi   Malaysia   Maldives   Mali   Malta   Marshall Islands   Martinique   Mauritania   Mauritius   Mayotte   Mexico   Micronesia   Moldova   Monaco   Mongolia   Montenegro   Montserrat   Morocco   Mozambique   Namibia   Nauru   Nepal   Netherlands   Netherlands Antilles   New Caledonia   New Zealand   Nicaragua   Niger   Nigeria   Niue   Norway   Oman   Pakistan   Palau   Panama   Papua New Guinea   Paraguay   Peru   Philippines   Poland   Portugal   Puerto Rico   Qatar   Reunion   Romania   Russian Federation   Rwanda   Saint Helena   Saint Kitts-Nevis   Saint Lucia   Saint Pierre and Miquelon   Saint Vincent and the Grenadines   San Marino   Saudi Arabia   Senegal   Serbia   Seychelles   Sierra Leone   Singapore   Slovakia   Slovenia   Solomon Islands   Somalia   South Africa   Spain   Sri Lanka   Suriname   Swaziland   Sweden   Switzerland   Taiwan   Tajikistan   Tanzania   Thailand   Togo   Tonga   Trinidad and Tobago   Tunisia   Turkey   Turkmenistan   Turks and Caicos Islands   Tuvalu   Uganda   Ukraine   United Arab Emirates   United Kingdom   United States   Uruguay   Uzbekistan   Vanuatu   Vatican City State   Venezuela   Vietnam   Virgin Islands (U.S.)   Wallis and Futuna   Western Sahara   Western Samoa   Yemen   Zambia   Zimbabwe  
Change country:   -Select- 
Postal Code: 

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

This is on your listings:

PLEASE CHECK SHIPPING FEES BEFORE BIDDING ! 

DO NOT USE  EBAY  SHIPPING RATES. USE WHAT I PROVIDED BELOW.

Please use Canada Post information below. Contact if you need help

To Check shipping fees go to www.canadapost.ca 
1. Choose get rates

2. Choose Canada, USA , International

and enter the info below.

From               Length     Width      Height      Weight     

M6G2P9           22.5 "     10.5"         2.25"        4.30 LBS

Shipping and Guarantee:

I guarantee all my items! If you are dissatisfied, I will refund the cost of the item.  I have a 100% feedback rating and care very much about keeping it that way. I treat all fairly and efficiently. Thank you very much for looking and good luck

You need to enter that information yourself into the ebay Calculated Shipping Tool. 

That is what the Calculated Shipping Tool is there for. A buyer cannot checkout and pay for their item unless you give them a cost for postage. If you're finding buyers have evaporated after purchase but before payment, this is the reason, and not the actual cost of postage. You as the seller must make the checkout process seamless and effortless for them.

Buyers don't wait around to find out what postage costs, nor do they read and browse elsewhere to calculate costs. You must be professional about this. I assume there is some unstated reason you distrust the ebay Calculated Shipping tool but a buyer isn't going to care about that.

Print your postage via Paypal Shipping to get the discount and carry forward. You have some really great and inserting items that will sell once you get this set up correctly. 
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Also, ditch the imperial measure. Canada Post went metric forty-seven years ago. Your postage costs will be more accurate in centimetres and grams. 

Good luck! Like I said, you have some awesome minty items that I'm certain will meet demand once you get your listings set up correctly. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Calculated shipping not working for Winnipeg either. You are going to loose a large % of potential sales with your shipping like this. Nobody wants to fool around so they just click the back button. Even if your calculated shipping did work we found that it scares many buyers away so we stopped using it years ago. Flat rate to a country is the way to go.

Anything that is covered by insurepost can be shipped small packet air then insured for $1.60US per $100US of value. They have a list of things they will not insure. You need the scan in receipt from the post office. We get the receipt day stamped for good measure.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Or, if you REALLY think the price of postage is a turn-off for your buyers, add $35 to $100 (latter for the really large or pricey stuff) and make it all FREE postage which as we all know means postage-included. But make it work so that you buyer can pick and pay simultaneously. That's tremendously important.
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

In fact just now I went to add your jet engine model to my cart....But your shipping doesn't work, so I just added one from another seller to my watch list.

Fix your shipping your sales will come much faster.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I see "Shipping Not specified", I lose interest and move on.

You need to do your homework, weight them, measure them and find postage rates and add the shipping information to your listings, otherwsie you are losing many potential buyers.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

grade
Community Member
The problem is that the rates given people do not know how to interpet them on site because canafa post does not specifiy. Example cheapest rate has no tracking. They always go for this and I do not send without teacking. Example. Theybdo not tell people that ground shipping with tracking takes at tleast 60 days. Yes it does. I have sent 100s of times......
Message 11 of 31
latest reply

grade
Community Member
Incorrect: Almost all Canada Post parcel rates include confirmation of delivery(tracking), if it is possible to confirm it to the destination country.

They always choose cheapest rate. They caanot see what they get and do not get on canada post site nor do they care to look......
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

grade
Community Member
They choose surface when they want air for example....
Message 13 of 31
latest reply

grade
Community Member
I think its pretty straight forward and a lot of custoners do get it and confirmes with me that that is what they are seeing on cp . Even though they go into shock.......
Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@grade wrote:
They choose surface when they want air for example....

You keep saying that, but buyers can't "choose" a shipping service if it is not offered by the seller.  You just said you used it "100s of times", then that means YOU are offering it as a service.  Most sellers do not offer Surface because it can take at least 2 months to arrive and without tracking the buyer files a INR claim and ends up with the item and the money.  That is why very few sellers will send anything by Surface Mail.  

You, the seller, choose the services, and then have Calculated Shipping show the costs to the buyers. To the US (you can't use Calculated for US orders) you use Flat Rate shipping.  Pick a zip code for a place far from you, like California (lots of sellers use that 90210), and enter the dimensions and weight of your item at CP to get a rate, and use it as a Flat Rate for items going south.  

Canada Post is expensive but so is international shipping for just about every Western country.  There are lots of sellers in Canada who have been selling on eBay for ages and ages and they seem to be doing a good trade.  

For small inexpensive items that go UNtracked, you use a form of "self insurance", a rainy-day insurance fund you give yourself.  That means adding a tiny amount to every item you sell and saving it up for that time when you need to pay a false INR claim.  You only ship items UNtracked if you are prepared to refund a false claim.  

Never assume no one will pay the shipping fee.  These days it seems everybody and their dog must have a 6-figure salary in a double-income household, so there is a lot of loose spending money around.  If you have an item someone really wants, they'll buy it.  

Suit yourself and do whatever you want, but I can't begin to imagine how many sales you have lost (daily, I would think)  entirely because of telling buyers to go to Canada Post's website & sort out for themselves how to get the shipping fee  and then get back to you and tell you what it is.  

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

I don't understand your comment that Calculated shipping cannot be used for US orders.  The OP lists in Cdn $ on .ca.  It is listings on .com that ship from outside the US that must use flat rate.

The OP appears to be very frustrated and confused about how CP shipping can be set up to eliminate all his self-created problems, and incorrect answers will not help.  Not that any of the correct answers given on the several recent threads s/he has started on these boards have helped either.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

I don't understand your comment that Calculated shipping cannot be used for US orders.  The OP lists in Cdn $ on .ca.  It is listings on .com that ship from outside the US that must use flat rate.

The OP appears to be very frustrated and confused about how CP shipping can be set up to eliminate all his self-created problems, and incorrect answers will not help. 

Oops-a-daisy.  In my haste I got them transposed, it's items listed in USD where the CP calculator doesn't work on dotcom, that's all.  A small gaff in my opinion, and one of many to show up on what is a discussion board and not a GRE or Civil Services Exam.  I am sure you will apply the same diligence, not to mention forthrightness of language, to everyone who you see make a faux pas, as "incorrect" answers will never help.  

As I said in another related post, if the OP feels the need of a shipping tutorial I am sure some of the many kind and wonderful people here would enjoy the opportunity to offer some genuine assistance.   Ask and he shall receive.  

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

The OP registered 20 years (and 2 days) ago. You don't see a lot of 1997's, even when I registered 18 Years (in 15 minutes!) ago there were not that many '97's around.

The OP could use a lesson in shipping because there have been a few changes since 1997 but they seem to think everything is done the same way.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Never give the customer the choice of shipping.

Those darn millenials now outnumber us Boomers and they ain't making no more of us, while the Millenials keep getting born.

The customer of today is looking for fast simple service.

Did you realize that over half of our customers are shopping on their smartphones?

Have you ever looked at your listings on a smartphone?

Shocking what the customer sees and doesn't see, isn't it?

I agree- you have to switch to Calculated Shipping. And don't give multiple services. You want the protection of tracking (and Signature Confirmation if the total payment including shipping is over $750CDN) and Air Mail.

The new customer doesn't want to waste time doing YOUR job. Tell him the cost of shipping.

You also need to look at your listings with a cold* eye. For example, 'as is' is not a defense against a 'not as described' dispute. And you pay for return shipping on those!

"Assorted engine covers" is pretty questionable too. You sell what you picture or pay to get it back.

Umm- this is always touchy, but drop the Bible verse. That makes people less willing to trust you , not more. As in "The Devil can quote Scripture" suspicious.

We've been around since 1998 under one ID or another, but constant upgrading has been necessary.

* Spelling counts. Just saying. If English is not your first language we can help with those pesky minor grammatical details.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

worst than ever know know since Jan 2019, cost 17.00 to ship to usa anything over 500 grams, total corruption, bunch of thieving crooks

Message 20 of 31
latest reply