CANADA POST SMALL PACKET IS NOW $8.55 TO U.S.??

canadabeltbuckles
Community Member
I brought several small packets destined for the United States, to our local post office this morning, which have always shipped for $6.45 in the past, and was informed that they are now shipping for $8.55!!

Nothing has changed with the packaging or the weight of the items I am shipping, so I have no clue as to why the increase in shipping costs?? The same item now ships for less if the recipient is in Canada, but it has never been that way in the past...

Apparently, the new price was introduced yesterday, while all the offices were closed for the Stat. Holiday.

Light Packets to a U.S. destination, are still shipping for $1.92 plus tax, but Small Packets shipping to any destination in the U.S. will now cost $8.55...

Anyone else encounter this one today, or is it a 'glitch' in the system with Canada Post?

Did I miss some advertisement indicating the increase as of November 12th, 2008??

Frank

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

fenian
Community Member
Looking at the CP site, the $8.55 rate covers 250 gms to 500 gms. The annual rate brochure dated 01/08 showed the old rate of $6.45 covered up to 500 gms. You can still send up to 250 gms for $6.45. They've jacked up light small packet as well.......the old rate was $4.00 between 100 gms and 500 gms........the new and improved rates are $4.00 from $100 gms to 250 gms and $6.40 between 250 gms and 500 gms. I don't know when these took effect, but I've pretty much given up shipping non paper items outside of Canada, as I don't need folks shrieking in outrage at "my" shipping charges.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Changes effective January 12, 2009 and other important reminders

Price and service changes will be implemented to Regulated and non-Regulated Transaction Mail and Direct Marketing and Parcels services on January 12, 2009.

Parcel services changes effective January 12, 2009 will be posted here in December 2008.

The above is from the Canada Post site.

------------------------------------------------------

That $8.55 is for small packet air 250 to 500 grams.

surface mail is $7.20 US the same product.

I never use airmail as surface mail is just as fast... less expensive surface mail... and my buyers do not complain, as long as I keep them informed of what is happening

Rate increases come in January and Canada Post gives us lots of time to adjust.

We have already been informed of the lettermail adjustment.. odd size mail, non-bendable, 10 to 20 mm thick..

Parcel information will come in December
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

fenian
Community Member
The point remains that small packet rates have increased since the January 08 brochure came out,......and before the stated January 09 scheduled rate increases. If you mailed a 300 gram small packet air parcel in October it was $ 6.45. Now it costs $8.55. If you sent the same thing via small packet surface, it was $ 5.05 in October and it's $ 7.20 now. Bottom line is you can't send as much for the same amount of money. So much for "lots of time to adjust" ...and evidence that CP is working on the Babylonian calendar, not the one we use.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Last postal increase January 2008.

Next postal increase January 2009.

and ... Nothing in between.

Increases are legislated...

It is $6.45 for less than 250 grams, and $8.55 for 250 to 500 grams.... small packet US airmail

and it has been that since January 2008.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

300 grams is 50 grams above the $6.45 rate.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

The annual rate brochure dated 01/08 showed the old rate of $6.45 covered up to 500 gms

Not the brochure I have (dated January 2008), maybe you need to get your glasses checked?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

boy - guess you don't ship that often.
;-)

We ship MANY small packets weighing over 250G to the USA every week and it's been $8.55 ALL YEAR LONG since the January rate increase.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

fenian
Community Member
Ok, Ok........ketchup on my glasses. I rarely ship stuff other than lettermail (paper only) and then it's under 100 grams. Somewhat OT but still to do with CP.....our local CP office staff have had no info regarding the flexibility ruling as yet, or any sign of a template/curved thingee around which they can bend our mailers. Any other offices out there have their new tools yet ?
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Any other offices out there have their new tools yet ?

I doubt very much that any outlet will see these before Christmas. Updated rate booklets usually get delivered to outlets during the first week of January.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
our local CP office staff have had no info regarding the flexibility ruling as yet, or any sign of a template/curved thingee around which they can bend our mailers

Our favourite local CP guru says he doesn't know as much about the new regs as we do!! I'll let you know if I hear anything more, and please do likewise!! It would sure be nice to know if we're safe to order more of our mailers! We haven't had any complaints of damaged cards since we started to use them.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Frank,

I mailed several small packets today at the larger post office in town. The ones that were up to 250 grams were still $6.45 and the ones up to 500 grams were still $8.55 to the US.

The postmaster reminded me that the new rates do not go into effect until January 9th of 2009.

Are you sure you weighed your items correctly? Were you slightly over and perhaps that is why you saw an increase.

Susan
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

300 grams......
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

canadabeltbuckles
Community Member
Yep, that was it...

The items were exactly 266 grams, so yes, they were just over the 250 limit...

Have to learn to use less packaging I guess with those items...

After I called CP, to clarify, I got a call back from one of the supervisors, and she explained exactly what happened. I obviously didn't weigh it correctly at home... 😞

Thanks to all who responded.

Frank

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I am kind of curious to know why the increase is so high this year on the US packets, now that gas prices have dropped alot.

What are the reasons for the increase at all? Thanks.

Sukh
(Dream About Comics)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Thanks.

Sukh
(IComic.ca)

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

I wanted to add what I pay for a 100 - 200 gram letter mail, I pay $3.20 which till go up to $3.40. It does not hurt that much, but 200 - 500 grams will be now from $6.40 to $6.80 for me.

The international stuff is taking a bigger hit, it was $12.50 for me before now its $13.60, wtf? This is for 200 - 500 grams. Thanks.

Sukh
(Dream About Comics)

Thanks.

Sukh
(IComic.ca)

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I am kind of curious to know why the increase is so high this year on the US packets, now that gas prices have dropped alot

IMO because they can. Before they could have said it was due to increasing cost of living, which is hardly an argument now when everything is getting cheaper due to financial crisis, and average salaries are going down, they still keep increasing the price.

Someone mentioned that CP increases are planned and have a lag (of course, you don't print billions of stamps with different face value from one day to another) and if they knew about the crisis when they planned this increase they would not increase prices. If this is true, perhaps next year we will see some decrease.
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

DECREASE IN POSTAL RATES !!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL

Please pass around some of what you are smoking 🙂
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Here is another way to look at things.

Postal rates will be going up!

The exchange rate went up.. from parity to about $1.25 Canadian to $1.00 US.

Conclusion ---Postal rates went down for US customers.

Does that count?
Message 19 of 19
latest reply