CANDA POST OR UPS TO THE UNITED STATES

pricebreak22
Community Member
I am shipping about 15 items per week into the US. I have
been using Canada Post's Expedited Parcel service to the US and I want to try UPS. UPS requires more documentation. Will my customers have more duty issues if I use UPS? Will I come under more scrutiny if I use UPS? When I use Canada Post everything passes under the radar. Does anyone have any experience with this? Please let me know.
Thanks, pricebreak22
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If your value is low, ups is way better than expedited; it's much faster and trackable.
If your value is high (over $200 i think), ups will slap on a hefty fee (brokage) for your buyer.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I use UPS exclusively.

Nothing over $200 imported into the U.S. has duty applied so you don't have to worry unless the item is more expensive than $200. If it is, UPS will deliver it with a COD to the customer for the duty.

UPS is sooooo much better than CP Expedited for the following reasons:
- always clears customs in 24 hours, no 10 day customs holds ever
- everything is automatically insured up to $100 and the process to claim is much easier.
- they pick-up, no trips to the post office
- if you ship enough they will offer you discounts to the States that result in cheaper rates than CP Expedited
- items arrive in 3 to 7 business days guaranteed depending upon the distance

Monique

Monique

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

pricebreak22
Community Member
Thank you so much for your feedback. Do you use their PC based program? I used to have to fill out a Customs Declaration Form. Will UPS Connect create one of those for me? It's great that you took the time to answer me. I really appreciate it. I checked out your Ebay Store and I think you have done an awesome job.
-pricebreak22
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
When I set up an account with them they provided me with their UPS Connect software and a thermal printer. They provide me with the printer labels on demand, delivered to my home.

You quickly become very fast at navigating through the software when shipping. I can usually get through about one shipment every minute including the customs papers. I can print out all of the customs documents using their printer and labels which saves me even more. When I'm done, the Connect software automatically arranges a pick-up through their web-site and provides me with the confirmation number.

Couldn't be easier!

Monique

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What's your average weekly volume Monique (and what's the average weight?)
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Average shipping charges via UPS per week would be about $750 before being discounted.

Monique

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

mirakbiz_inc
Community Member
SIgn up to http://www.smallbizcan.com and get 20% discount regardless of your volume.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Only internationally. 10% for Canada (laughable, as its still 50% higher than FedEx counter rates), 15% for USA (same).

For brokerage, it's the same as the entry level discount plan, and in some cases, the entry level discount plan is better than 20% off - $29.45 for goods under $1600.00 and $53.05 for goods over $1600.00 provided you have them broker 30 shipments a year. More brokerage = more discount.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

1dealsavers
Community Member
How does that help small packages? I have found UPS far higher in price for anything that is 10 LBS or less - canada post is MUCH cheaper - it ALL depends on what you are selling and shipping.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

1dealsavers
Community Member
a 40 LB vending machine shipped IN Canada is 40.00+ with UPS - 23.00 Canada post 5 days - so that is 50%!!
Message 11 of 11
latest reply