CHANGES TO SHIPPING COSTS ONCE ITEM IS PURCHASED

Can someone please explain why the shipping costs indicated for an item located in the "Search Listings" changes when you go into the actual listing and then again once you purchase the item. I have cancelled apprx 5 transactions in the past two weeks because of this.

Example #1 - Before I purchased an item the search listing showed an actual amount for shipping costs. I went into the listing and selected "Make An Offer". Once my offer  was accepted I went to the listing to pay and it showed as "Free Shipping". When I clicked on "Pay Now" it showed shipping as "Will Ship To Canada. Contact Seller.

Example #2 - The listing for this item showed as "Free Shipping" and did not indicate that the seller was using the GSP. Once I went into the actual listing it showed shipping as "Will Ship To Canada. Contact Seller", again not indicating that the seller was using the GSP. It wasn't until the seller replied to my request for shipping costs to Canada that they indicated that the item would be shipped via the GSP.

With the GSP, items costing over $20.00 Canadian are charged "Import Fees" and can make a significant difference in the total cost for an item.

Any info on this situation would be greatly appreciated as with the number of transaction cancellations I have had to request, it could eventually have a negative impact for me as a buyer. Thks in advance.

DMH

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have heard the odd person complain about that but it doesn't seem to happen that often and I have no idea why you would see free shipping when there was a charge for shipping.  Probably the best thing would be to take screen shots showing the difference in shipping prices and then either post the screen shots here,post them on the weekly ebay chat on Wednesday at 1p.m.est or email them to a Canadian ebay rep.

Are you looking at these listings on a mobile device or on a pc? Are you signed in with your buyer id when you originally see these listings?

If an item is listed with global shipping and is under $20 you will see a different cost on the search page then you will see when you click into the listing because the gsp surcharge does not show up on the search page. But other than that, the price shouldn't be changing.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I have heard the odd person complain about that but it doesn't seem to happen that often and I have no idea why you would see free shipping when there was a charge for shipping.  Probably the best thing would be to take screen shots showing the difference in shipping prices and then either post the screen shots here,post them on the weekly ebay chat on Wednesday at 1p.m.est or email them to a Canadian ebay rep.

Are you looking at these listings on a mobile device or on a pc? Are you signed in with your buyer id when you originally see these listings?

If an item is listed with global shipping and is under $20 you will see a different cost on the search page then you will see when you click into the listing because the gsp surcharge does not show up on the search page. But other than that, the price shouldn't be changing.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I've seen the same thing but not been a victim. It would appear to be another of the wonderful glitches this site has. Could it be that what this person saw was free shipping within the U.S? In other words what the buyer saw was the U.S. listing.

Here's my example: I was cleaning out the back end of my watch list yesterday and noticed that a CD had been bought that I'd been watching and was shipped from the U.S. without G.S.P. for $7.75  to Canada and now showed a postage rate of $3.35 after the listing closed. When I clicked on the title to open up the page the rate changed back to $7.75! I tried this twice with the same result. I scrolled down and found that the seller had added a note of his own like a lot do that stated: $3.35 within the U.S. and $7.75 to Canada.

Now, I don't know if this is the reason but I had originally added this to my list from .com not .ca

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks very much for the info. There are so many issues with the GSP that it's easier to buy from seller's who don't use it.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply