CP INSURANCE

shoplineca
Community Member
I attended an eBay session held in Ottawa this morning where a CP rep (Account Executive from TO) gave a presentation.

One of the things that he mentioned was that, primarily due to eBay, CP is now examining their historical habit of paying losses based on the sellers cost for the item.

He said that in some instances, on an increasing basis, CP Claims Reps are being a little more sympathetic towards arguments made about a Seller's loss due to damage or theft of the item and that on an increasing scale, claims are being paid based on the selling price of the item, rather than the cost.

The 'Letter of the Law" however clearly states that the seller will be paid the landed value, being his purchase cost for the item, yet CP is considering re-vamping their policy in line with how business is being conducted on eBay and how sellers expect to be treated by CP in the event of a loss or damage of the item shipped.

No dates were given towards a formal change in policy aside from acknowledging that they sometimes slacken their position and they are reviewing that policy at this time.

Malcolm

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

CP INSURANCE

I just made a small packet claim (took 5 months), but was finally reimbursed the full selling price of the item ($35.00 CAD).

Worked for me, albeit slowly!

John
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

shoplineca
Community Member
The word given by the postal official, without any guaranty that it will work every time, is to be persistent, ask to speak to a supervisor if the clerk isnt cooperative and provide copies of the eBay auction page showing the selling price.

Malcolm
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

llee2
Community Member
Wow, a CP rep at the Ottawa session! Malcolm, did you guys get any Q&A time with him. Would loved to have heard him try to address some of the concerns most of us have with CP.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

laplaya29
Community Member
I had a poster that I sold get damaged before it arrived at the buyers. I had the pictures of the damage, the receipt for the shipment and a letter from the buyer with all the details of the damage. I phoned CP and she didnt want any of that, she issued me a cheque for $100.00 and I had the cheque within 10 days. I couldnt believe how easy it was. She didnt even want to see the proof of damage, just took my story and acted on it right away.
Bill.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

shoplineca
Community Member
We had limited Q&A during the session and only 15 minutes following the session and time was taken up by some real junior eBay sellers trying to tell their stories about specific problems with specific franchised postal outlets.

The rep kept trying to tell them that he couldnt answer everyone's individual problems with a franchised location and little time was left to address major and more central postal issues.

I was able to get my 5 minutes with him and basically here is what I learned:

I found this particular rep to be very candid and while searching for the right words not to put himself in any trouble with his employer he:
1. admitted that theft exists with postal workers in the field but not in the processing plants
2. was very aware how much business was going state-side because of the gross spread between USPS' rates and CPs
3. was aware of the insurance problems and that CP wasnt up-to-date with how they should be nandling claims but are now headed in that direction
4. explained that the processing plants have the technology in place to do cubing by scanning all parcels/packages through an arc type machine that calculates the cubic weight
5. admitted that there were serious problems when they introduced cubing last year expecially through the summer of 2003
6. suggested that if problems cant be resolved through your CP contacts then take the problem higher all the way up to the Ombudsmen for the Post Office.

Following the eBay session, we were asked to fill in a questionnaire and one of the area allowed us to make suggestions.

One of my suggestions was for 2 more hours for Q & A with eBay staff and CP reps.

Malcolm

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

Malcolm,

I was hoping to make it to the session but work requirements prevented it. Was there any talk of small packet within Canada or even a Media Mail rate.

Michale
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

shoplineca
Community Member
Yes, but it wasnt brought up by the CP rep. It was raised by someone using small packet as a comparison to the USPS Media mail service being less expensive than alternative CP methods but still not what Candians want (they are demanding a media mail service).

So the discussion on that subject was not overly informative. All the CP rep did is refer people to the rate cards provided in an eBay bag of goodies for the samll packet rate.

Malcolm
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

"small packet" is an International service only, it's the same worldwide so this will not be coming to Canada (domestic)anytime soon (actually never).

Media Mail, we used to have something like this years ago called "book rate", it was eliminated probably more than 20 years ago, don't expect it to return. You can lobby all you want but I doubt it will ever happen. Canada Post is a business too, there is basically no competative service to Expedited (in most cases) so why would they offer an even cheaper service?

Ben

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

shoplineca
Community Member
I have no interest in it for what I ship but of the 150 in attendance at the eBay session, about 25% of them ship media and suggested that eBay take up the responsibility to address CP on behalf of its members.
At that point someone else suggested that en eBay member start a private discussion board to solicit interested parties.

Again the thrust was having to pay $11 Cdn to ship media when US competitors can ship for less than $3 US (rounded figures). CP Packet offered somewhat of a relief when shipping to the US but still making it somewhat difficult over the US competition and the rates they are charged.

Malcolm
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

niko_and_co
Community Member
This is encouraging. I have to file 12 claims for videos that got fried by xrays. Was wondering how hard it would be and how long it would take.

Janet

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

shoplineca
Community Member
Janet
Gather all your information (tracking numbers, etc) and call the CP toll free customer service number and they will process your claim over the telephone.

Malcolm
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

CP INSURANCE

niko_and_co
Community Member
I have no tracking numbers as they were sent as small packets but I called and they said I could file claims anyway.
Thanks Malcolm
Message 13 of 13
latest reply