Can I have my tracking number ?

This question on $5 sale is annoying me probably more than dreaded "where is my item"

When buying from Canada, there is no sense of reality in this question. Canadians that can read and write should be old enough to know how pathetic our national postal service is and non-Canadians should know that internationally tracked service cannot be purchased for $3.99.

I wonder where these people get an idea about tracking numbers? Especially Canadians.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The average Canadian buyer knows nothing about wht it costs to ship.

If you're lucky, you'll find one that knows the price of a stamp.

When I had my courier, we got a call from an individual that had something that "had to be in London, Ontario in an hour!"

I told him the cost would be $55 for a rush.

He replied, "What! A stamp only cots 17 cents!"

So I told him to stick a stamp on it and hung up.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I really hate to say it but I find Canadians are the absolute worst. They don't have the slightest clue what it costs to ship things by Canada Post. I've had such a run on having to explain the complexities of dimensional shipping with Canada Post lately that I just copy and paste now. It's ridiculous and sad really.

HOW CAN YOU CHARGE ME $12 WHEN YOU ONLY CHARGE AMERCIANS $6.50?!?!?!!!

Well....if you read you'll see the US ones are USPS and Canadians get Canada Post and they charge by the dimensional weight....etc etc etc The response to which is always some variation of 'oh! I had no idea, thank you for explaining in such detail.' yeesh
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I'd tell those guys that I'd be happy to ship it to their US address for $6.50.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Well, I ususally throw a one-liner:

Sorry, there is no tracking number on the service used. Next time please make sure to request CanadaPost Expedited Parcel.

It would be nice if CanadaPost implemented at least delivery confirmations that are worth few cents. Their sorting machines they get from USPS are likely capable of scaning, I only suspect, their lousy ever-breaking software is lacking the capability.

But then ... who would buy the Expedited Parcel if there was D/C on oversized lettermails ?

Anyway ... to address the issue, I will be adding two shipping options on all my items and it's up to the person to choose the shipping service. Right now they cannot choose Expedited Parcel without specifically asking for it. Then my answer will be:

Sorry, there is no tracking on the service you selected during checkout.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I find that to be an issue when shipping to Canadians, too. But at least they get a tracking number within Canada with Expedited.

I find it's even worse for CP Expedited to the USA. (First, I always tell the customer to expect delivery within 10-20 business days for items going to the USA.)
The number the US buyer gets is not even a tracking number- it is only a delivery CONFIRMATION number! It is a full time job explaining that to the US customer when they email you 7 days later saying "where's my item", and that their "tracking" number doesn't show anything new online- the problem is, the info they get with the confirmation number stays the same online until the package clears customs, which normally takes at least a week! And even then, there is no detailed info for them. The number only confirms that it finally reached its destination, which really is only a benefit to the seller. It's probably worth considering UPS for US shipments for the tracking and speed, or offer CP Xpresspost for speed and tracking (very expensive though, for large stuff).

Perhaps the thing to do, is just offer several shipping methods as mentioned previously and give the buyer the choice:

For Canadian shipments (small stuff)-
Standard Lettermail or Expedited Parcel
For Canadian shipments (large stuff)-
Expedited Parcel or Xpresspost

For USA shipments (small stuff)-
Standard Lettermail or Light/Small Packet or Xpresspost
For USA shipments (large stuff)-
Expedited Parcel or Xpresspost

Now just to find the time to change all my listings..........X-(

AXE
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

HOW CAN YOU CHARGE ME $12 WHEN YOU ONLY CHARGE AMERCIANS $6.50?!?!?!!!

Huh..... how many times I got a similar questions..??? 😉
I charge 6.50 for US, and only 7.50 for Canada (the same for international). The difference is added to the item's price.
It works well - only sometimes it finishes with a disaster.
3 days ago I sold a 4 dol. item to a guy from Saskatchewan. He sent 4 + 7.50 = 11.50. I got 10.50 (PayPal/FVF). I paid 12.50 for the shipping + 0.50 for the package = 13.00. So I lost 2.50 with this transaction. And I am quite sure I will get 1 star for high shipping cost 😉
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member

Huh..... how many times I got a similar questions..??? 😉
I charge 6.50 for US, and only 7.50 for Canada (the same for international). The difference is added to the item's price.
It works well - only sometimes it finishes with a disaster.
3 days ago I sold a 4 dol. item to a guy from Saskatchewan. He sent 4 + 7.50 = 11.50. I got 10.50 (PayPal/FVF). I paid 12.50 for the shipping + 0.50 for the package = 13.00. So I lost 2.50 with this transaction. And I am quite sure I will get 1 star for high shipping cost 😉

I think you need to up your shipping charges! Or not sell to prairies and beyond!

Susan in SASKATCHEWAN
momoftwingles2
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The number the US buyer gets is not even a tracking number- it is only a delivery CONFIRMATION number! It is a full time job explaining that to the US customer when they email you 7 days later saying "where's my item", and that their "tracking" number doesn't show anything new online- the problem is, the info they get with the confirmation number stays the same online until the package clears customs, which normally takes at least a week!

You can also send them to canadapost.ca to see movement of a package. USPS.com doesn't show anything until it leaves Canada, but I find that canadapost.ca usually has more information. For example my package CX281849055CA doesn't show anything for 6 days on usps, but canadapost.ca shows its movement through Canada (and now it will show it's apparent trip back, lol).
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

"(You can also send them to canadapost.ca to see movement of a package. USPS.com doesn't show anything until it leaves Canada, but I find that canadapost.ca usually has more information. For example my package CX281849055CA doesn't show anything for 6 days on usps, but canadapost.ca shows its movement through Canada (and now it will show it's apparent trip back, lol)."

Again, that detailed info only shows up online at canadapost.ca after the item clears customs and is pretty much at the customers door step.
Here is a random one of mine that I will show you here that I shipped on the 8th: CX284863666CA
I shipped it on the 8th, today is the 17th, and here is what it says online:

" Track History

2010/04/08
14:17 MISSISSAUGA An order has been electronically submitted
13:27 GUELPH Item accepted at the Post Office "

Now, it will stay like that until it gets cleared by Customs and is almost at it's destination. So again, it is a confirmation number that you get on CP Expedited to the USA, not a full tracking number.

Cheers,
AXE
Message 10 of 10
latest reply