Canada Post January 2013 Rate Information & new Tracked Packet service.

Rate increases effective January 14,2013 will apply on all Domestic,USA  & International Parcels

Also there will changes to the USA & International Small Packet service, and a new Tracked Packet service will be introduced:

Small Packet

Changes will be made to the Small Packet service as follows:

*  January 14, 2013: The existing $100 Liability COverage will be removed on all Small Packet- USA & International Services.

*  February 11, 2013: Small Packet - USA Surface will no longer be available.

New! Tracked Packet

A new Tracked Packet service available to the USA and 20 International destinations will be introduced at post offices on the dates indicated below. The new service will provide tracking visibility and Liability Coverage of up to $100.

Australia, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.

January 14, 2013: Tracked Packet Service available to commercial and online customers.

February 11,2013: Tracked Packet service available to consumers at post offices.

Other Rate Increases Effective January 14, 2013.

The following rate changes are also being introduced on January 14,2013:

Liability Coverage on Regular Parcel increases from $1.80 to $1.95 per $100 of Coverage.

Additional Liability Coverage on Domestic Parcel services increases from $1.80 to $1.95 per $100 of Coverage.

Domestic Registered Mail Service (exclusive of postage) increases from $8.25 to $8.50 and Additional Liability Coverage increases from $1.80 to $1.95 per $100 of Coverage.

USA and International Registered Mail services (exclusive of postage) increase from $14.50 to $15.25.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

January 14, 2013: Tracked Packet Service available to commercial and online customers.

February 11,2013: Tracked Packet service available to consumers at post offices.

Small Packet/Tracked Packet.....No insurance for four weeks  ????

Expedited Parcel USA is insured ... use for one month  if insurance is an absolute....

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

It now appears that Small Packet, with no insurance after January14,  will end on February 11

and the new Tracked Packet will appear on the same day... February 11.

Or will Tracked Packet be available on January 14???????????

Confusion in the absolute....

Lettermail/ Letterpost rates are set...

but much of everything else is left  for January 14... and some for February 11...

Plan ahead  and take each step as the date comes...

Canada Post has not provided any clarity in one simple statement.... 

Many statements appear to be contradictory

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

It now appears that Small Packet, with no insurance after January14,  will end on February 11

and the new Tracked Packet will appear on the same day... February 11.

Or will Tracked Packet be available on January 14???????????

I don't think that it is contradictory.

Tracked Packet is available on January 14 to online and commercial customers but won't be available to consumers at the post office until Feb 11.

None of the small packet services will have insurance as of January 14th. Online and commercial customers can use tracked packet or expedited if they want insurance or buy 3rd party insurance.

On February 11, small packet surface USA will no longer be available.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

You guys have me thinking and that is never a good thing. I have always used small packet air from Winnipeg. Never believed in surface.

Cumos, you use surface and it works for you? Hum? Perhaps I will try the tracked packet. If surface is not that slow, this upgrades me to tracking and ticks off a lot of boxes.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

You guys have me thinking and that is never a good thing. I have always used small packet air from Winnipeg. Never believed in surface.

Cumos, you use surface and it works for you? Hum? Perhaps I will try the tracked packet. If surface is not that slow, this upgrades me to tracking and ticks off a lot of boxes.

Elmwood, 

I actually always used Small Packet Surface to the US......so I'm only changing to Small Packet Air.  

IMO, I think tracked packet will be too much of a sticker shock to Americans but I'm also selling a lot of points, condensers & rotors & PCV valves that are not worth big money.

I may put tracked packet on small lightweight items worth more than $100.

Logo photo Logo.gif
Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage
Demorestville, ON / Scarborough, ON
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I'm gonna develope a strategy. I have TRS for a few weeks. I got it once, I may get it again. I will focus my efforts on higher value widgets where the 20% will make a difference. No sense pounding myself to save 20% off the FVF of the cheap stuff.

I will need to "value add" compare what the tracked packet will do.

I use price pointing of price +shipping. I move those numbers around. If I can make the extra shipping cost back on the FVF reduction, it might be worth the effort.

Roblins: we are gonna be in Belleville and then Toronto early Feb.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

For parcels less than 1.0 kg

Small packet Air USA costs $15.56

Tracked Packet USA costs $17.54... $2.00 more for insurance and tracking.... same for all US states

Insurance for Tracked Packet is for items not more than $100 in value.

For items over $100 in value   Expedited Parcel US..is about $20 to Arizona (Zone 4, median price)   and varies among US states.... Insurance cost per $100 value over $100

For that January 14 to February 11 period... it will be a Tracked Packet price...  with Expedited Parcel USA shipping option used .

Prices for US parcels  and all  information in  the listng will be for Tracked Packet....  will be revised as of January 14

For January 14 Tracked Packet will be listed as Standard shipping  and then revise to Tracked Packet after February 11.... when prices will be revised with associated Tracked Packet name... This last revision will be easy.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Delivery speed to the US...

Small Packet Air  ---- 5 to 8 business days

Tracked Packet ---- 4 to 7 business days.

Expedited Parcel USA also has an estimated delivery time of 4 to 7 days...

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

The question becomes...

Insurance and tracking .... Yes... or... No

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I'm gonna develope a strategy. I have TRS for a few weeks. I got it once, I may get it again. I will focus my efforts on higher value widgets where the 20% will make a difference. No sense pounding myself to save 20% off the FVF of the cheap stuff.

I will need to "value add" compare what the tracked packet will do.

I use price pointing of price +shipping. I move those numbers around. If I can make the extra shipping cost back on the FVF reduction, it might be worth the effort.

Roblins: we are gonna be in Belleville and then Toronto early Feb.

Love to see you in either or...........  Send me a message when it gets earlier to the date and we'll do something stupid together.

Logo photo Logo.gif
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

The question becomes...

Insurance and tracking .... Yes... or... No

My refunds for any reason in 2011 was less than 5%.  I haven't completed by books for 2012 so I can give an update but I doubt it is much different.

As a result, I'm not concerned with Insurance.  I think I only did 1 insurance claim in 2012 due to USPS destruction of an item through  sorting machine.  

So. tracking and insurance are not that important to me for items <1kg.

Logo photo Logo.gif
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Cumos, your post #7. Yes, no, maybe. Yes, small packet air goes for $15.56. I have had Expedited under 1K go for $14.85 Paypal shipping and that includes the American, precious and fictitious, tracking #. Depends on dimensions, of course.

I sell widgets from $20 to $300. Oddly, some of the $300 are smaller than the $20. I dunno. This will not work for all of my listings.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

In the 501 g to 1 kg range, Tracked Packet USA and Expedited Parcel USA will need to be selected carefully if possible.

The TP USA rate is $17.54 but eBay Canada has said that this rate will be discounted using PayPal Shipping. I think it will 5% at least, I assume that Venture One card holders will get to use the 5% discount card for TP at the Post Office. So at 5% discount the TP rate is 16.66.

Expedited Parcel USA is based on distance so with the PayPal 25% discount EP USA easily goes under the TP rate of $17.54 (or 16.66) for closer states to the Canadian Seller. So the 1 kg TP rate get closer to the SP USA rate of 15.56.

One advantage of TP is that it does not use Dimensional Weight. EP does use DW and that will make a bigger box ship at 2 or 3 kg rate for EP USA even if has a physical weight of 1 kg. Using TP if the box fit under the simple TP dimension rules will save money.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

In the 501 g to 1 kg range, Tracked Packet USA and Expedited Parcel USA will need to be selected carefully if possible.

The TP USA rate is $17.54 but eBay Canada has said that this rate will be discounted using PayPal Shipping. I think it will 5% at least, I assume that Venture One card holders will get to use the 5% discount card for TP at the Post Office. So at 5% discount the TP rate is 16.66. So the 1 kg TP rate get closer to the SP USA rate of 15.56.

Expedited Parcel USA is based on distance so with the PayPal 25% discount EP USA easily goes under the TP rate of $17.54 (or 16.66) for closer states to the Canadian Seller.

One advantage of TP is that it does not use Dimensional Weight. EP does use DW and that will make a bigger box ship at 2 or 3 kg rate for EP USA even if has a physical weight of 1 kg. Using TP if the box fit under the simple TP dimension rules will save money.

Sorry, I put that comment in the wrong place in the first post.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

The issue then becomes one of managing listings. I went from "below standard" to "TPS" in six months. I know it will not last. However, there is the concept of saving 20% on fees with tracking numbers.

A $50 widget, not so much. I do sell $250 widgets. Then there is the in-between.

If I can spend $1 to get $2 back, plus upgraded service, the hassle is worth it.

This is a conversation I never envisioned being a part of. Oddly, it comes at a time when the amount of selling I will be doing will be interrupted by "life".

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

The issue then becomes one of managing listings. I went from "below standard" to "TPS" in six months. I know it will not last. However, there is the concept of saving 20% on fees with tracking numbers.

A $50 widget, not so much. I do sell $250 widgets. Then there is the in-between.

If I can spend $1 to get $2 back, plus upgraded service, the hassle is worth it.

This is a conversation I never envisioned being a part of. Oddly, it comes at a time when the amount of selling I will be doing will be interrupted by "life".

I assume you mean TRS, not TPS.

The discussions about the changes to Small Packet and the introduction of the Tracked Packet is good for all as each topic and post makes sellers think and understand a bit more.

The changes are coming so we must all adapt to the new reality as cumos55 said in a post. Adapt and adjust.

After reading all the topics and posts as well as the eBay and Canada Posts links, I have a better understanding of the changes as well as how they will affect me and other sellers. Even though some topics and posts are repetitive, they reinforce an understanding of the changes.

Once implemented, we will understand more from actual use.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Small Packet Air  ---- 5 to 8 business days

Tracked Packet ---- 4 to 7 business days.

Expedited Parcel USA also has an estimated delivery time of 4 to 7 days...

The 1 day difference is meaningless. There is no particular reason tracked will arive any faster than air. Also I stopped using air to the U.S. long ago because there was no appreciable difference in surface vs air delivery times. Also I have had 4 day delivery only once for expedited to the U.S. I think that is a very optimistic estimate unless you live near a major sorting center like Mississauga and are shipping to a place near a major U.S. sorting center.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Widgetc,

Exactly. Tracked Packet USA is a completely unnecessary service, introduced by Canada Post in the hope that it will make money for them. Given many eBayers' obsession with "tracking" (or rather delivery confirmation) and insurance coverage, CP just might suck in enough customers to make it viable - though God knows why. Expedited Parcel USA rates are only marginally higher than TP USA rates and the fact that, unlike TP, EP involves volumetric as well as actual weight would only occasionally benefit a seller.

You are also correct in pointing out there's precious little difference in delivery time to USA between Small Packet Surface and Air. So why remove SP Sfc to USA? More money for Canada Post; if their customers don't like it, they can take a long running jump.

Tom  

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Does anyone have any information on this "tracked packet" and its pricing? I can't find this info anywhere!  

Message 20 of 23
latest reply