Canada Post Shipping Assistance

Hey All

I have been selling on ebay and rescently noticed that the USA Canada post prices are way to low..? Today I shipped a package, ebay said it was 9.85$,when I went to post office it was $16!!   I measure, weigh and enter the dimensions.  I want all items to be tracked as I have been had before.  Is ebay maybe default to non trackable to USA?  Please help. I might just flat rate it......

JIm

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I do not know what $9.85 is. Small packet is $7.80, $10.35, $15.65 with no tracking. The $16 sounds like Tracked Packet.

The cheapest service with tracking is about $16 depending on weight and size.

You are comparing two different services.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I would think it would be a Tracked Package.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Ebay doesn't default to a particular shipping method...your shipping specifies that you would use small packet but when you went to the post office you purchased a more expensive option. As others mentioned, it was probably tracked packet that you paid for. For the type of items that you sold must sellers would use small packet as it doesn't make sense to pay $16 in shipping for a $10 or $20 item.

Just so you know, if you had printed your own label through paypal, you would have received about a 14% discount on that tracked package cost.  For expedited, the discount can be up to 18%.

The reason your shipping says $9.85 when small packet is $10.35 is because you are listing in U.S. $ and Canada Post charges in Canadian $ so the difference in the two figures is the exchange rate.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Hey

I see. But I sold items before not tracked and they claimed they never recived it. I got screwed out of the money as ebay always takes their side unless there is a tracking number.  I used to always send it expedited however today they said it was no longer available?  I use the venture one business card through canada post to get some discount... not sure how it compares to this paypal thing... maybe someone can advise me about that program and how it works?  I would like my shipping to be accurate. not sure where I went wrong maybe I selected wrong method?

JIm

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Today I shipped a package, ebay said it was 9.85$,when I went to post office it was $16!!

Why did you even ask the clerk? If you print out the label directly from Paypal, you get a record of your postal costs and can drop the parcel right into the nearest red postbox. Even if that box is outside the PO.

Same if you print the label through canadapost.ca. Just drop it in the box. Ignore officious clerks.

Are you using metric measurements? Any others are going to be approximations, a truism since 1974.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I have found the option to print your own... looks much easier. When I read on Canada post, there is still expedited parcel. so I do not know what the clerk was smoking!  I will have to find some boxes, and labels! Is there a certain label sheet needed?

thanks

Jim

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

You are not using Paypal shipping, are you? You are using the CP web site to figure out postage and then going to the PO. Yeah, you selected two different options.

You should be using Paypal shipping. Access it through yer sold page. I forget what it says "print shipping label". Better discount than the Venture 1 card. Print at home and drop in a mail box.

You are paying an extra $7 per parcel for mailing? That will add up pretty fast. I never use tracking unless it is the cheapest option for shipping.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@nesgamerdad wrote:

I have found the option to print your own... looks much easier. When I read on Canada post, there is still expedited parcel. so I do not know what the clerk was smoking!  I will have to find some boxes, and labels! Is there a certain label sheet needed?

thanks

Jim

No, you can use regular paper and you can get clear envelopes to put the labels in from CP for free.. They are called labelopes.

You can also attach the label with clear tape.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Awsome thanks!!!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an email from a person at Canada Post telling me that I should sign for the "commercial business" as their postage rates are much cheaper than PayPal Shipping.

I am puzzled as I thought PayPal Shipping is much cheaper at any time than Canada Post.  Or am I wrong?

I always see on the website that they offer 2% or 8% discount, etc., so I am not sure. 

Anyone who have experienced in being a member of Canada Post's commercial business and if their postage rates are really cheaper than PayPal Shipping.  I need to know to compare before signing it up with Canada Post.

Thanks in advance.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

"I thought PayPal Shipping is much cheaper at any time than Canada Post.  Or am I wrong?"

It is not a matter of right or wrong.

The postal prices offered by PayPal represent of discount of up to 18% from the regular retail price on some (not all) postal services.

If you have substantial volume, a commercial contract with Canada Post will give you more consistent lower prices, based on the services you use.  The same is true with other carriers such as UPS and FedEx.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Hey Guys

Ok Now I am really confused... I went to PRINT SHIPPING LABEL, fillin dimensions and weights.. click method and then I get error saying Paypal shipping is not available.  IF I go back select basic shipping it works??? I am confused.  I have double checked my dimensions and weight and they ARE within the sizing of the method I am trying to use???? what gives?

Jim

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

ok disregard seems to work now..

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@nesgamerdad wrote:

ok disregard seems to work now..

Just so others know.....you now have to check off parcel or envelope when using expedited Canada.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It may be ideal for businesses who have a large volume of parcels.  I am taking about small businesses on eBay like myself or maybe you. 

Thanks.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply