Canadian pricing for shipping not present even with Canadian seller and Canadian shipping carriers

surfspider
Community Member

This is quite irritating.  If the seller is Canadian and is listing from Canada but is listed in USD then I have to convert the price and shipping to CAN just to figure out the cost.  All tabs and settings show Canada in shipping but it still lists it in USD.  Even the shipping companies are Canadian!

Since it doesn't matter to the seller how I want to see my listings as we're both Canadians I should be able to choose CAN as the currency to view.  Even more generally, it shouldn't matter where the seller is from.  What does matter is the final price I see on my credit card, which will be in my currency of Canadian funds not USD.  

Going back and forth converting it all out is a waste of time and something the Ebay site should be doing for me automatically.

Website already converts the item for sale in USD with a subscript in CAN dollars, but does not do this with shipping.   This is frankly a basic level of code required to internationalize your website and allow me to see the total Canadian pricing.  

If you did this to your American customers I'm sure you'd change it so they could see their items + shipping in USD.  Instead put the original price from the seller's currency as the subscript, and have it all calculated out in the buyer's currency preference.  This manages the expectation of what the buyer would see on their credit card / charges.  

Please update into an international website.  The changes I'm asking for won't affect Americans since everything is in USD, but it would allow non-Americans to stop having to calculate the total costs for every item viewed.

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Canadian pricing for shipping not present even with Canadian seller and Canadian shipping carriers

Login to eBay.ca instead of eBay.com and prices will be shown in CAN $$. Search will be in CAN $$. Shipping charges on the main page at the top will show Can $$$. The Shipping page will show US $ but once you have set up the country (should be automatically Canada) then go to the first page to see the price in Can $$.

A more simple way is just to add 10% to the USA prices to give you a good idea of the Can price plus currency conversion fees you will pay.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Don't want to sound dumb but maybe I am....if I do this my listing only seems to show at Ebay.ca and not on Ebay.com.  Am I doing something wrong?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

That is because your listing (the one I checked) shows you ship to Canada only.

To be seen on eBay.com (where many Canadians shop) you must also show shipping to the USA and provide a service and shipping charge to the USA

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I was on ebay.ca, and all settings set to Canada.  

On main selling page listing on ebay.ca shows Canadian subscript for pricing AND shipping.  BOTH are in subscript.  When I'm signed in you already have my postal code from my login and thus ebay.ca guess-timates the shipping on the main page, in sort searches, and other display areas.  Good.

But you left out a spot.  Not good.  

I'm asking that you take this existing information and functionality and add it also to the shipping page when I type in to verify my postal code, or wherever the postal code is added.  That still says US

This is clearly a leftover in the breadcrumbs of an order when you were only a US business but is irritating enough to ask for an update.  You already have the functions in other areas.  I'm asking you to fix this one spot where you forgot to fix it.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I'm asking you to fix this one spot where you forgot to fix it.

These are ebay member boards so unless you see a blue box around a post on these message boards, the person who has replied is an ebay member just like yourself and is unable to 'fix' a programming error or site glitch but can often help with other problems.

I'm not sure what spot you are referring to, When I look at my own listings which are almost all in $U.S. I see the item price and shipping in Canadian $ on the search page as well as within the listing. It is not showing as the prominent number within the listing...perhaps that is what you are referring to? I am guessing that the reason they do this is because you will not be paying that exact amount in Cdn $.  If the seller has listed in U.S. $ they receive that currency so if you are paying with Cdn $ then your money will be converted to U.S. The amount that you see in 'subscript' is only an estimate of what you will pay in Cdn $ as it does not include the service charge that your credit card company or that Paypal will charge to convert the money.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply