Canadian updates to user agreement - Read them and weep

12 REPLIES 12

Which part are you 'weeping' about?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I'm sure the OP will find something or invent something to weep about. Weeping is one area of expertise not missing in the pool of eBay sellers!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Pretty simple and straight forward to me. Simple business.

I am liking this last paragraph:

"If you do not agree to the amendments, you should stop using eBay and the www.eBay.ca and www.cafr.ebay.ca sites, as applicable, and terminate the eBay User Agreement by closing your eBay account."

Their game. Their ball. Their rules.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Welcome back recped. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I don't know if I want to weep, but this paragraph surely got me confused:

Cross-Border Trade. We updated this section to underscore that for eligible listings for which you have not previously specified an international shipping option, buyers from select countries may be shown an international shipping option. 

What does this mean exactly? Will we be forced to ship to countries we prefer not to ship to? I only ship my items via registered mail ($20 on average for my items). If I have to ship from Canada to, say, the Philippines, the cost of registered mail would be close to $100... which is why I prefer not to ship to places other than Canada and the US.

This could also be a source of problems:

We have also augmented this section to indicate that, when automated translation tools are available, you direct us to use them to translate your listings into local languages and to provide you with access to translations of other users’ listings.

Automated translation tools are far from perfect. Most times the resulting translation won't reflect the source text accurately. I write my listings very carefully, to make sure they describe the items exactly as they are. Poor translation may result in a buyer feeling deceived, which could lead to repeat trips to the Resolution Centre. Considering that ebay.ca is now adding a Money Back Guarantee Policy that they can unilaterally enforce, this -- if everything goes wrong -- could be a recipe for disaster.

The two changes listed above may affect our seller ratings directly, in particular the detailed seller ratings ("shipping and handling charges", "shipping time", "item as described").

So, in brief, I'd love to know more about these changes before I decide what to do.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I have been thinking for awhile of getting out of almost Full time selling and just go with some cheap BIN and if we are forced to sell to Countries that I do not deal with it will be a easy desision to make for me. The return shipping costs for NASD will be well over any profit that I can make on an Auction. My other concern is when the Buyer says it is NAD E-Bay does not have the Experdese and time to deal with it and the Buyer will win the largest percentage of time and the Seller will lose twice.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Crossborder Trade...... eligible listings

Eligible listings...... If a seller ships to Canada, US and select number of other countries...

If there is no shipping indicated for US..... eBay will fill it in

If there is no shipping for those other countries... eBay will fill it in...

If you ship only to Canada.... there will be no number for international shipping... Why....  because there are NO eligible listings to be view in any site other than Canada.

All buyers must state shipping to all countries where a seller "Ships To"

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Automatic Translation......  The key words are "You direct"

One must assume that there will be an option for a seller to specific....  No translation of the contents of my listings.

A potential buyer can always copy and paste into a translation program.....

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

It is VERY IMPORTANT  for anyone to read the User Agreement  for content....  looking for specific words... such as

Eligible Listings... and

You Direct

and if

They are not sure of the meaning ask here or on the Weekly discussion session.

In many instances one must read the User Agreement  in the context of understanding "legalese"...

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@retro-photo wrote:

I don't know if I want to weep, but this paragraph surely got me confused:

Cross-Border Trade. We updated this section to underscore that for eligible listings for which you have not previously specified an international shipping option, buyers from select countries may be shown an international shipping option. 

What does this mean exactly? Will we be forced to ship to countries we prefer not to ship to? I only ship my items via registered mail ($20 on average for my items). If I have to ship from Canada to, say, the Philippines, the cost of registered mail would be close to $100... which is why I prefer not to ship to places other than Canada and the US.

This could also be a source of problems:

We have also augmented this section to indicate that, when automated translation tools are available, you direct us to use them to translate your listings into local languages and to provide you with access to translations of other users’ listings.

Automated translation tools are far from perfect. Most times the resulting translation won't reflect the source text accurately. I write my listings very carefully, to make sure they describe the items exactly as they are. Poor translation may result in a buyer feeling deceived, which could lead to repeat trips to the Resolution Centre. Considering that ebay.ca is now adding a Money Back Guarantee Policy that they can unilaterally enforce, this -- if everything goes wrong -- could be a recipe for disaster.

The two changes listed above may affect our seller ratings directly, in particular the detailed seller ratings ("shipping and handling charges", "shipping time", "item as described").

So, in brief, I'd love to know more about these changes before I decide what to do.

I asked about the cross border paragraph on the weekly board hour but I didn't get an answer so I'll try again next week.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Crossborder Trade...... eligible listings

Eligible listings...... If a seller ships to Canada, US and select number of other countries...

If there is no shipping indicated for US..... eBay will fill it in

If there is no shipping for those other countries... eBay will fill it in...

If you ship only to Canada.... there will be no number for international shipping... Why....  because there are NO eligible listings to be view in any site other than Canada.

All buyers must state shipping to all countries where a seller "Ships To"

I'm not sure that your are correct. 'eligible listings' could also refer to items that are legal to sell to other countries.  If I specify worldwide shipping but there is no shipping price or service to some of those countries because I put in a service that wasn't available there, I really can't see ebay adding in a service or price.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Its not an option.  They already do it with the russian translation and it works very well

Message 13 of 13
latest reply