Cancellation

I was only one person who was interested in an item. The bidding period was 6 days. I have won the item. The seller has canceled my order.  Reasons: "I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason." After cancellation in couple days the item was for sale again. I was trying to bid but the seller has blocked me. I decided to contact him and find out reasons for his decision. His response: " I only sell and know how to sell in U.S. And for some reason i allowed canada when i didn't want to." I understand I cannot force him to ship the item to Canada but this option is still available on his site. Is this normal  behaviour of sellers on ebay? Why buyers have to be hurt and sellers do not care. I even cannot leave a negative feedback. I believe it is not right. Thank you!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Cancellation

@rymma2005 wrote:

I was only one person who was interested in an item. The bidding period was 6 days. I have won the item. The seller has canceled my order.  Reasons: "I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason." After cancellation in couple days the item was for sale again. I was trying to bid but the seller has blocked me. I decided to contact him and find out reasons for his decision. His response: " I only sell and know how to sell in U.S. And for some reason i allowed canada when i didn't want to." I understand I cannot force him to ship the item to Canada but this option is still available on his site. Is this normal  behaviour of sellers on ebay? Why buyers have to be hurt and sellers do not care. I even cannot leave a negative feedback. I believe it is not right. Thank you!

there are quite a few people in the us that wont sell to canada for some strange reason,im not sure what there problem is?I can understand not selling to other countries,although i have done so at speciall requests,but i have also noticed some us sellers have really crazy shipping to canada like 5 times the price that it will actually cost,but to relist as shipping to canada again seems strange,did he relist at the same price as the auction you won?Unfortunate that some people can be so ignorant as not to know how to ship to canada or whatever,guess all you can do i spose is shake your head like whatever,they walk amoung us

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

The seller in question sounds scatterbrained and not very smart, to be honest. I bet he was enrolled in the Global Shipping Program without realizing. It is for sellers like him. He ships only to the PB hub in Kentucky and it is forwarded from there to the buyer wherever it is located. Check your credit card, bank account or invoice for a second charge to Pitney Bowes for customs and processing. You need that money refunded too. Call paypal if you do. 

The merits and/or demerits of the Global Shipping Program are an entirely other matter. You may have dodged a bullet there. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

Also, it is possible that your seller listed on ebay.ca instead of ebay.com because he tried to Sell One Yourself from a Canadian listing.

If you never got to the point where you paid, don't worry about it. It's better in the long run to have it end this way, as disappointing as it may be right now. If you had paid and it was refunded, you'd still lose money on the currency conversion fee. (If it was listed USD.) And if it were shipped via GSP, you'd have to get the duty paid in advance refunded too.

Of all the nasty tricks that members can play on each other here, this is among the most benign. But you still should be able to leave feedback for him, no? 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

Hello 'rymma...',

<< His response: " I only sell and know how to sell in U.S. And for some reason i allowed canada when i didn't want to." . . . but this option is still available on his site>>

What do you mean "this option is still available"?

Do his listings indicate he ships to Canada?  Or is it a GSP listing, which means the seller set up his auctions for US-only but the Global Shipping Program co-opted his listings into the program whether he wanted it or not.

There's a difference. 

Either way, as you say you are blocked now.  Perhaps it is just as well that you can't leave feedback.  After all, you did not lose money, you were just a bit disappointed.  When you leave a red negative for a seller you also leave it as a permanent part of your own outgoing feedback so it is best to save it for those who are truly scammers and thieves,  not some poor sod who doesn't know how to set up his listings properly, or worse -- how to get out of that unwanted GSP.  

My advice is just chalk it up to life on ebay and move on to another seller.  If this is the first time you have been inconvenienced in this way you have been fortunate.  Most sellers can get it right, but ebay is complicated and can confuse sellers who are not all that adept at details.  Buy your item from someone else and everyone will be happy, - most of all yourself.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

Unfortunately, I cannot leave a feedback for him. The item is not in my list anymore since the order was cancelled.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

You are not obligated to accept the cancellation request. It is a courtesy. If you refused, the seller would be unable to recoup his selling fees and I believe you would be able to leave feedback. Was the item won? Or was your bid cancelled prior to the auction end?
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

No, he has relist the item for a lower price. He said he was OK with the price I paid, he just did not want to ship the item to Canada. Maybe somebody can explain me how hard is to ship the small item to Canada? To be honest I don't understand.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

I had conversation with the seller. He just changed the previous shipping option. Now I can see the red colored ad "

Does not ship to Canada". Of course, I will never buy anything else from that seller. I only hope I can find the same item somewhere else.
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

You are right. I had two charges. One was from Pitney Bowes.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

Ebay has sent me the message "The seller has cancelled your order. Reasons:......" I have got two refunds. The item was won. I do not know why the seller did not cancel my bid before the end of the action if he did not want to ship it to Canada. I did not have any option to refuse the cancellation.
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

Absolutely, your USA-based seller has found himself enrolled in the Global Shipping Program and with no idea what it is or how it works.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

<< He said he was OK with the price I paid, he just did not want to ship the item to Canada. Maybe somebody can explain me how hard is to ship the small item to Canada?>>

Hello again, 'rymma', 

It is not difficult at all to ship to Canada.  Are you still in contact with this seller?

It is highly unlikely you will ever change his mind about anything, but you can sweetly ask if he would consider mailing the item to you through USPS First Class International, -- which is a tracked service providing Delivery Confirmation. (that is important for sellers).

All he has to do is know the packed weight of the item, your postal code, and he gets the rates here:

https://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

He then adds the shipping fee to his listing, making it available to Canada.  He prints off the label and mails the item.

Easy, easy, easy.

He has obviously never done it before, but if you are ask nicely and are gentle with him he might reconsider. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

I wish all sellers were nice. Unfortunately, my seller does not want to hear anything about Canada. You can see how he has changed shipping option. Red color.... WOW!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

I have another problem because of the seller. I have to wait 6 business days to get refunds to my paypal account. I may lose money depending on an exchange rate. Any way I can complain ebay about this seller? Why I have to have problems because he was stupid?
Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

You're right, 'rymma', that was a lovely item at a great price. But it is always the seller's decision on where to ship, ie, which countries. The seller does not create that bright red warning sign, - that is from ebay when sellers specifically don't ship here. I suppose if a seller blocks Africa, then Africans will see a bright 'no go' sign as well.

That item would have shipped easily and cheaply via USPS First Class. And as I say, -- tracked. If you cannot sweetly persuade your seller, even renegotiating a slightly higher price to compensate her for her efforts, you will have to find another seller.

Even if you 'could' leave that negative, it is best if you don't because other sellers will see it and remove your bids and block you. You will not get this item here by leaving a negative, and you may not get other items in future as a result.
You will have to move on and accept life always brings disappointments. It's how we grow.
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

'rymma', -- check your private Messages, up near the top of the page.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

Thank you for such a detailed comment. I agree with you that it is the seller's decision on where to ship. When I see shipping information "May not ship to Canada" I contact a seller and ask if it is possible to ship. Some sellers say "yes", some sellers say "no". I am fine with any response. This situation is different. He has changed shipping information later when my order was cancelled already and I have paid money. I still believe it is not right.
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

Your seller simply isn't comfortable selling outside the US, and having never done it before, does not know how easy and painless it is. It's sad he is so fearful, but there is nothing you can do about that.

As I said earlier, just get all your money back, and then put the whole mess out of your mind.
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Cancellation

Now that is strange, lazy seller?Not fit for duty?Dont like canadians?I have run across thease us sellers,never could figure them out maybe dont no where canada is?One thing i do no is you cant reason with them
Message 20 of 21
latest reply