Changing User ID

Hi guys, I have been looking for the answer to this, but can't seem to find it.
I am considering changing the user ID of one of my other accounts to better reflect what I will be selling there. This particular account already has over 100 pos. feedbacks, and I don't want to lose them, and have to start over.
When I change the user ID, do I lose these feedbacks and go to zero?

Thanks,
AXE
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Changing User ID

Ok, found it!
Looks like you keep the feedback when you change your ID. Here's the copy & paste for those interested:

Before changing your user ID, review the following important information.

When you change your user ID, the change will appear immediately, even in listings you're participating in.

eBay will automatically attach your member and other important account information, including your Feedback Score, to your new user ID.

The "Changed ID" icon will also appear next to your user ID for 30 days.

Your old user ID can't be used by anyone else at eBay for 30 days.

You can only change your user ID once in 30 days. This is to prevent confusion for other members. Your user ID is a valuable asset, like your Feedback profile. Trading partners will come to recognize you by your user ID, so it's a good idea to choose one you'll want to use long term.

Cheers,
AXE
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Changing User ID

Your old user ID can't be used by anyone else at eBay for 30 days.

This is interesting, because if old IDs are released for grabs again, this may break blocked bidder list functionality. I wonder if the user changes the ID, if all BBLs with their ID are updated, but I am not raising my hopes too high.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Changing User ID

When a user changes his/her ID to another one, the BBL is updated, meaning a blocked buyer cannot circumvent the BBL by changing his/her ID.

However, it does not really matter as all they have to do is create a new account.

As new accounts (eBay & PP) can be created with a $25 Safeway "Visa" gift card, anyone can create an account under whatever name they choose.

If someone is out to get you, they will.

Bernie
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Changing User ID

Bernie, it's against eBay policies to bid on items of the seller who blocked an ID by using another ID and this may result in suspension of all the IDs.

I asked a friend, who is heavily in eBay development and he told me:

eBay's blocked-bidder list has input/output as text UserID, but is stored internally as something equivalent to EIASToken.

As long as someone doesn't change their UserID while you're editing the list, the same accounts should remain blocked.

At least for search purposes, eBay appears to shadow your old UserID for some brief period.

If you were to copy out your BBL today and then paste it back 1 year later, I think it's very likely that some previously blocked would escape. You could also end up blocking innocent buyers who claimed a recycled UserID.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Changing User ID

Roman,

I do understand the part about the eBay rules.

What I am saying is that if I had an ID of xenalook and a registered name of Xena Look and you blocked me, all I would have to do is create an ID under, say, billybob with a registered (fake) name of Billy Bob.

It is actually simple to get fully verified by eBay and PP with a fake name, and I mean fully verified; that's the scary part.

Neither you nor eBay would know about this and I could buy from you and hit you with lots of negs. Since the new account will be impossible to correlate to the old, blocked, one you would not be able to get the negs removed.

I mean, we are getting off topic here but, again, if someone wants to get you, you are a sitting duck 😞

Bernie
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Changing User ID

Of course, if they really want to, they get around. I was more curious that concerned.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Changing User ID

Luckily, instances of that particular level of obsession are very rare.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Changing User ID

I just changed my used name... well, eBay changed it as I broke a few rules.

My feedback came with me, my blocked list is still there and everything else still points to my new username.

It was pretty painless actually.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Changing User ID

Yes I just changed my user id on another account, and it worked perfectly, and the feedback came with me.
Thanks,
AXE
Message 10 of 10
latest reply