Code name M; Program M

Never mind the effect eBay's frequent changes have on sellers - the latest program eBay is cooking up is a total re-brand of key features that buyers will have to get used to.  

eBay is working on a new project code named Program M; the program's brand will replace the familiar seals eBay currently displays on listings, including one that highlights Top Rated Sellers. 

The company explained in a survey it's conducting:  This program aims to simplify the buying and selling experience by using a single presentation element to signify low ship cost, quick delivery purchase from a reliable seller, easy returns and guaranteed on-time item arrival. Accordingly, an item that offers free shipping, 3-day guaranteed delivery, Hassle-Free returns and comes from a trusted seller will be eligible for Program M.  

eBay explained that "if" it proceeds with Program M, it would retire current logos for eBay Top Rated Sellers; eBay Fast N' Free; and eBay Hassle-Free returns.  

A seller on a discussion board said eBay was considering giving buyer a coupon if Program M listings' promised 4-day delivery schedule was not met.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Code name M; Program M

Why this could be bigger than the PayPal logo overhaul!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

Fast N Free
Lol free is often economy mail maybe hidden free but not fast, EBay is out to lunch with so many demands put on sellers just to suck up to buyers.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

Sounds like something CSIS could be working on!Woman Frustrated

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

kashka
Community Member

Oooooh...I wonder what font they will use?..this is so exciting!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

It sounds as if the information you are quoting came from eBay.com.  I suspect this will have little or no effect on Canadian sellers, or if it does, it will be considerably modified.  

EBay has usually recognized that there needs to be a somewhat different set of parameters for Canadian sellers (we are, after all, "foreign" sellers as far as eBay is concerned).  The delivery estimates, returns requirements, TRS qualifications, and a number of other factors imposed on U.S. sellers are already different here.  I wouldn't worry too much yet. 

On the other hand, I think it will have a significant and immediate impact on U.S. sellers, as I suspect is intended.  If this initiative does take place, it will be another notch in "raising the bar", and many will fall off because they won't or can't meet all the standards.  Like the other seller 'gold stars' that eBay has been displaying over the past year or so - TRS seals, 100% positive FB, Experienced Seller, etc. etc.-- it will get its buyers used to recognizing one particular performance logo, and anyone without it, well, good luck.  

We shouldn't be at all surprised.  This process has been accelerating over the past year especially.  What eBay wants, I expect, is to ultimately rid itself of all sellers except those who can meet its commercial-style standards and volumes, which will be difficult for most "Mom and Pop" operations.  

Or, at the very least, make sure such "little people" go to the bottom of the heap where buyers will ignore them.  Why?  Because eBay likely no longer makes the most money off independent small vendors.  They don't want that demographic as their core anymore.  What causes more trouble, time and expense for eBay -- a horde of individual trouble-making, whining and complaining, non-professional sellers, or a few dozen big commercial retailers?  I think the answer is pretty obvious.  Its analogous to what Wal-Mart did to small, local businesses in countless towns across North America, and eBay took lessons.

No smaller seller should expect any favours from eBay nowadays.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

Could also mean Canadian sellers listing on .com won't have any benefits and be invisible as well. Why should Can sellers that don't qualify get preferential treatment over US sellers that don't qualify???

They and us will also probably lose any FVF discount listing on .com??

Preferential treatment for Canadians as far as the 20% discount may go by the wayside soon as well cause most of us will never make or qualify for Program M.

Free listings for a store, flat FVF's across the board, no discounts for categories, no FVF 20% discount unless you are one of the chosen few and a severe increase in the qualifications as far as items sold and $ value sold

Any one else have any other ideas how small sellers can get shafted over them next year or so.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

Seems all EBay has to do is fiddle with listing placements to weed out small sellers, once your sales slow down not much
Incentive to flog a dead horse......
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

Program M is really a code name for Program "S"

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

Ok will bite what is program S .?
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

think of words that start with S

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

Let's keep this family friendly, people. 

LizzieR-CA

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

again I ask what is unfriendly about this discussion?

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Code name M; Program M

Since nothing new is being added to this discussion, I'm blocking any new replies.

Thanks,

LizzieR-CA

Message 14 of 14
latest reply