Collecting applicable sales taxes

hdwrench1
Community Member
Since I am new to this board I'll post this question.
We've been selling on ebay for a while but since we are a registered legitamite business we are obligated to collect GST and PST. We run a marquee on our auctions stating that yet every week we get some Canadian buyer that wants us to "fudge" the sales tax. I am almost at my wits end with this. Aside from refusing to sell to Canadians does anyone have any suggestions to this.
Thanks
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

deltone
Community Member
Tis a shame when people try this. I mean yah, who enjoys paying the taxes, but I wouldn't think of asking someone to not charge me the taxes. If it says that clearly on your auction, and they don't like it, then they should move on and go to another auction. Just stand firm and tell them that as per your terms of sale, taxes ARE required, by law, and basically leave it at that. Going into long explanations is not worth your time. Just be to the point. Sorry, I really don't have any tips to offer you.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
work the tax into the shipping , that is what we do . We chgarge a flat fee for shipping and the tax has been factored in
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

bargoonsports
Community Member
If you use Auction Works, which I do, there is a tax profile, you can set one up for US residents(which is zero) and one for Canadian residents based on Province. I live in BC, so I can set up the tax to automatically calculate GST and PST based on the shipping address that is entered into the checkout system. There is also tax reports that you can run for GST and PST reporting.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

firedept10
Community Member
hdwrench1

Why not state clearly in your auction that you will under no circumstances fudge the tax for anyone. I am sure you will still get asked but not nearly as much. Or make an auto email to respond to their request. Another suggestion would be to change the color of you tax request as the red blends almost right into the orange background. Just to make it more noticable. JMO!

Don
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
hdwrench, I've been done this road and I sympathize with every thing you are going through.

I have tried limiting my auctions to US bidders only. Not a good idea. Boy, can Canucks ever get nasty when they see that. I have never had so much hate mail.

Many Canadian buyers ignore the clear statements I put in my auctions and emails regarding taxes and make a quick PayPal payment and run. I say ignore because I find it very hard to believe that 90 percent of Canadian buyers don't read the auctions or emails. This is not an exageration - 9 of 10 Canadian buyers give me grief about the taxes.

When they do that you are faced with the dilemma of refunding their payment and asking them to pay again (time consuming and some just refuse to make another payment) or do you hold on to their payment and ask for another payment of the taxes only (also not good - you wind up eating a lot of extra PayPal charges).

I have been toying lately with not allowing Canadian buyers the luxury of using PayPal by changing my settings so that I will no longer accept payments from unconfirmed addresses. There does not seem to be any easy solution until PayPal figures out how to allow Canadian sellers to automatically calculate our complex tax scheme on instant payments.

bargoonsports, I also use AuctionWorks but they still don't allow you to calculate HST for NB,NL,NS - GST & PST for ON and just GST for all other provinces and territories.

If you ever find a solution, OP, make sure you come back and share it because, as you can see, many of us face this problem daily.

Bill

Bill

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Sorry "down this road"

Bill

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Out of 2000 packages sold on ebay last year about 20 or 25 were to Canadian Customers. I simply absorb the GST (and pst when applicable). I list it on the invoice however I adjust the selling price to account for it. The total on the invoice is exactly what the selling price + shipping is.
I find that the LESS shove a Canadian flag in my U.S. customers faces, the better I do.
I used to have the line about GST within Canada and all of a sudden I was getting all these emails asking how long shipping would take. I am POSITIVE that my sales were affected by making it more obvious that I am in Canada.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
On the other hand, I much prefer to tell my buyers right up front that they are buying from Canada. Some of the emails I was getting when I made it less clear were really quite angry... "Where's my widgit?" three or four days after shipping.

No, I won't be absorbing the taxes any time soon. At some point a solution will come along and Canadian buyers will have to make some decisions. If they want to buy on eBay they can either pay taxes to Canadian vendors or, if they prefer to import, to CanadaPost on behalf of Revenue Canada and provincial RST branches.

Bill

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

hdwrench1
Community Member
Hello All,
Thanks for all the replies. We are going to change our tax message text color and input a tax message to our Paypal auto payment responder to try to fix this.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Wayne
Heritage Cycle Works
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Interesting. For me the biggest concern is total volume of sales vs. profit and not so conerned with making a point to the few Canadians that do buy.
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
I don't consider myself any less concerned about net profit which is all the more reason that I won't absorb the taxes. Does it drive away some sales? Probably, but a black market for untaxed goods, has and will, always exist. The underground economy exists on ebay as it does everywhere within our country. Some people play above the board and some not.

Our tax system in Canada is largely a consumer based one which is why the old Federal Sales Tax was done away with. As I am not the consumer of the goods I sell so applicable taxes are for the buyer to pay.

Canadian Tire is not going to start absorbing taxes tomorrow because some people complain or dislike paying them. Neither will the Bay, Sears or any other retailer - large or small.

Henry's is one of the larger Canadian companies on eBay. I notice they don't absorb the taxes. I wonder if they are any less concerned about profitability.

I'm sorry, but I don't consider asking for applicable taxes to be paid as "making a point" of any kind. It is just as much a part of the total selling price as the item price or S/H but a part that many Canadians seem to want to overlook.

The real solution is for Paypal to address the issue and allow businesses selling on eBay to charge applicable taxes. After all, if they can allow for different tax rates to be applied for 50 states they can certainly allow for 10 provinces and three territories. The will just has to be present for them to implement the changes.

Bill

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
I just found a button within paypal that charges 7% on the total ...for Canadian's ...it's under the tx setting
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
chic-shopper, unfortunately that won't help if you have to charge HST for NB,NS & NL, GST/PST for Ontario and GST only for the rest of Canada. PayPal has applied a simplified solution (a single tax rate) for all of Canada.

Bill

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

hdwrench1
Community Member
Hello,
To labels for less.
We had a GST audit 2 years ago. You had better keep track of your customers and the GST charged. We had them in our offices for 2 weeks and they didn't find anything out of the ordinary but we were told to keep a record of the name and address of EVERYONE we sold to for them in case we ever get an audit again. We will NOT absorb the taxes for Canadian buyers. We have been selling on line and ebay for almost 5 years and I don't want to go through that again,
My $.02
Wayne
Heritage Cycle Works
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
You know you get GST back when you sell to American's .
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Yes, Todd, I just did my Tele-file this morning for the last quarter (the slow one). I will be getting back a little over $800 in GST.

Its a nice little "extra" paycheck every three months. I'm hoping to get back close to $1500 on the next one in January. That's if sales go as planned. :<)

Bill

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
"extra paycheck"???

I guess that's one way of looking at it - the other way is that it's an interest free loan for the govt. that comes outta your pocket!

File monthly - if you keep your books organized and telefile/efile it's not too much hassle - and you'll get that "paycheck" monthly.

There was a proposed bill that would have provided for a GST exemption card - exporters wouldn't have to pay GST at all and would remit the GST owed on domestic sales as per usual. But I haven't heard anything more about that in quite a while.

Anyone else remember the liberal's promise to scrap the GST if elected in '93??

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Thanks... my books are pretty organized as it is. And compared to the old manufacturing sales tax (FST), I do consider this closer to an extra pay. If you remember what it was like to try and claim the FST back for exports (I do), this is much easier and more readily accessible.

Thanks for the advice on filing frequency but it is Revenue Canada that determines how often you file. I guess some businesses could even file weekly but that is a determination they make based on total sales and whether money is owed to, or by, them. They allow you to file more frequently if you owe them money but less frequently if they owe you money. No different than paying and clawing back income taxes.

Without getting too political, I do remember that campaign promise. I also remember who gave us the GST and FTA. The damage that those pieces of legislation did to the old structure of taxation could not be undone by a political promise.

Once the old FST system was ripped out of place it was not an easy thing to re-install.

People seem to think that GST is some kind of extra tax we pay. It isn't. In fast, the old FST was 9%-12% and invisible to consumers. It was there but it was invoiced by manufacturers to the distribution chain without any easy provision to claw it back for exports. At least now we can see it and it is readily refunded by the Feds. The FST was a tax on manufactured goods... the GST is a consumers tax on goods and services. That's why businesses are also required to charge FST on S/H (a service).

I hear a lot of complaints about the GST - most people don't remember that it was not some kind of "extra" taxation.

Bill

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
Your revenue will dicate how often you have to file - higher the revenue the more often you need to file. This is based on their assumption that you'll owe them money.

But to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing preventing you from opting to file more often. I'm pretty sure I didn't have the revenue needed to be a monthly filer - it's been a while, but I think it was in the millions of dollars.

Anyhow, just something to think about.

The guys who swapped FST for GST also brought in free trade with the US - which I think has worked out quite well for many exporters.

I'll leave the politics alone though - I'm still bitter about the lack of a GST exempt status for exporters - I pay enough in taxes - I don't need to loan money to the govt as well!
Message 20 of 20
latest reply