Confused about how cases are open?

So, if there is an issue with an item, either not as described, or it doesn't work. And I message the seller, does this automatically open a case?

Because i had an issue this time where the product didn't work. So I messaged the seller, and I wasn't happy with what they offered so I declined it, but there was no option for me to respond.

So I had to go and message them again, which now it opened another case, saying I have to return the item. So now I have messages between the seller and myself agreeing on a partial refund. But now I have another message saying I need to return the item. Which is not what the seller and I agreed on in the other messages.

It's just confusing, I didn't realize every time i write a new message it opens a new case!? Is that correct. Now I'm worried the seller is going to use that other case, saying "well you didn't return it". But if I was going to return it, I wouldn't be agreeing to a partial refund, I would expect a full refund. The seller never mentioned wanting me to return it. They offered partial refund right away.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

A case is opened when you send a message and choose the topic that your item is not as described or that it was damaged in shipping..or something like that. I believe that you if you open a request for return you will also open a case depending on the reason for the return. As far as I know you can't open two cases for the same item.

For some reason the new system only gives the options for the seller to tell the buyer to return an item for refund or for the seller to refund the buyer without a return. There is no button they can click on to give a partial refund. However, if that's what you both agreed upon the seller can give you the partial refund through paypal and just not get ebay involved any more.

I think that the case will eventually time out when no item is returned.

I haven't yet had to use the new system for a not as described item so I'm basing this info on posts that I've read on the U.S. boards.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

And I message the seller, does this automatically open a case?

No. That is just communicating with the seller. Often the seller will correct the problem and no Case/Dispute is needed.

A Dispute is a very specific thing. Either you or the seller can open one through the Resolution Centre up on the right top of this page under Help andContact.

The principle eBay/ Paypal work with is that neither buyer nor seller can have both the item and the money. So the buyer is required to return the item, with Confirmation of Delivery. Then either the seller or PP will refund her. It depends on the seller's willingness to cooperate.

For the seller, the worst case is having PP do the refund. He then not only is out the money (although he has his unwanted item back) but eBay/PP will give him a black mark, which may impact his ability to list and sell.

The seller can however, step up and refund himself. He doesn't need the item back if he prefers not to. Even with an open Dispute he can send a partial refund, with the approval of the buyer. He can accept a photo of the unwanted item (eg smashed china) .

So at this point, your seller could send your partial refund to your PP account. Then you can end the Dispute when you see the money in your PP account.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Ok thanks to both responses. But both seem a little different 🙂

So messaging and communicating with him is opening a case. But I could go farther and dispute it in the resolution centre. That would be getting ebay involved, correct?

So I should just do nothing with the "case/message" that says return it. Cause we never agreed on that. I have no problem sending photos for a partial refund.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The system is in the middle of being changed so that's probably why you are getting different answers. With the newer system there are times when a case is opened just because of the topic you choose when you message the seller.  Once you open a case...even if it is accidentally, the seller receives a defect.  If you either escalate the case or 'ask ebay to step in' then ebay will make a decision in the case and if the case is in the buyer's favour the seller receives an unresolved claim strike.

You mentioned that you had to open two cases/messags. As I said it isn't possible to open more than one case at a time for one item but next time you might find it easier to go to your ebay messages and click on reply to the seller's last message to you.

You and the seller have agreed upon an amount for a partial refund...right? Have they sent it to you yet? If not, then you might want to contact them again and ask them when they will be sending it.   If they do send it then yes, you can ignore the message about returning the item. If the seller ignores you and/or doesn't send the partial refund shortly then the situation will be different.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply