Cost to return defective products.

I guess you have to bite the bullet when you have to return products purchased on e-bay.

I'm not prepared to bite the friggin bullet on this one ,, the guy sent me defective product, I'm sending it back, I will contact e-bay and Pay-Pal regarding the dealings I've had with this seller and I don't give a rat's backside how good a rating he has.

My cost to return a package via Canada Post ( regular parcel post ) $ 36.50 ridiculous that the buyer has to absorb that cost when some seller entices you to buy, his advertising is false and he ships you defective product.

No, that is to me anyway totally unacceptable, I have really tried to work things out with this seller to no avail.

If this seller does not reimburse me for the cost of shipping I shall be in touch with the Canada Border Services Agency and show them the false declarations on the product waybill attached to the product I bought.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

"I don't give a rat's backside how good a rating he has."

Could you be more specific.  Is this an overseas seller with thousands of transactions and 100% feedback or.. or.. or... 

In general terms, sellers with a 100% rating and thousands of transactions will take care of their customers properly when notified of a problem with an item,

" shall be in touch with the Canada Border Services Agency and show them the false declarations on the product waybill attached to the product I bought."

Great idea!

Now, take a walk around the block and think about it.

In Canada, like most countries in the world, the importer (that is YOU) is responsible for whatever amount was declared by the seller on the Customs Declaration.

That is correct - YOU are responsible for whatever duties and taxes should be levied on an imported purchase, regardless of the value declared.

For example, if you purchase a $200 item and the sender declared a value of $20 to avoid taxes or $60 as a gift, Canada Customs - once you contact them and advise the value should have been $200 - will reassess you for duty and taxes and possibly brokerage fee that should have been paid. It is worth thinking about it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I certainly agree with you but it is rather obvious that the seller is bringing product in from China with false declarations on the international waybill.

I bought the product from the seller who indicated on his advertisement that the product was located locally ( B.C. ) and to allow 2-3 days for delivery.

Naturally no mention of duty, brokerage fees etc. if the item is being shipped from one location in B.C. to another location in B.C.

This seller misled me and I'm really annoyed about it, he also sold me an item that was defective ( I had two other learned opinions on that ).

And surely you would agree with me that it's highly unfair for a purchaser acting in good faith to be liable for the cost of shipping a defective product back to a seller ,, the product should not have been shipped in the first place.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Is this an eBay transaction?

Is this a recent transaction?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You posted about this below.

Has it been more than 45 days since your purchase of the pool cue?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Yes, this is an " e-bay " transaction.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I purchased the cue thirteen days ago, the seller will refund my money when the cue is returned but why should I be out of pocket ( $ 36.50 ) to return this product which was defective when it was shipped ,,, that's my point.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

lol88
Community Member

I also am in the same situation that the seller(Citycase) required me to pay for half of the return shipping for a defective product.

I suggest you open a case with Ebay, this can only be done within 45 days after listing has ended.

I made the mistake of exchanging email with the seller and missed the 45 days deadline.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yes, open a case now and I'm pretty sure you could and should use the BC address for the return.

If you go online and use paypal expedited shipping it will not cost you $38.50 to return in the same province.

I believe you posted that the seller is in BC as are you.

It is not your problem that the seller used a drop shipper.  You bought the item in good faith that the seller was from BC........... is that correct?

In fact, expedited shipping in the same province is very reasonable (or at least it was before the recent increases, and probably still is).

Message 9 of 9
latest reply