Crossing Border Question

Have been successfull crossing border with my books to ship from USA.Last time however I was perused for having 3 shirts on my 7523 sheet(I also sell clothes).I really seek to ship clothes from the US-Europe as the cost is 1/2 or less and way faster.Does anyone know which form is required or how do you legally get clothes across the border?
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Crossing Border Question

jakeeangel
Community Member
The duties on importing textiles are pretty steep. You can't use the 7523 form for that. I don't know the form number but I know you can't use that one. There are strict quotas for textiles and high duty rates.

Here is a link to the tariff codes that I just found in the wee hours this morning. Man what a pain that was! It not only has the codes it shows the rate of duty as well.

http://prototype.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/2005_supp.htm

Somewhere in there it might tell you the correct form. I had to go inside on one trip and was told that because some of my stuff was made in China, I can't use that form. I asked which one I was to use and he didn't really answer me. He charged me $6 import duties and sent me on my way.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Crossing Border Question

I used a lady in Vancouver to ship our stuff across the border. I sell mainly clothing, and that haven't been a problem yet (touch wood). She told me as long as each package is under US$200, then there is no problem. I don't know which form she uses, maybe I can ask her for you.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Crossing Border Question

jakeeangel
Community Member
I got told that info too about the less than $200 per package but it depends on the mood of the border guard that moment. The guy that sent me in when I had to pay $6 was a grumpy SOB. When I went in they asked me what I wanted and how much I had. 4 guys looked at each other and laughed saying forget it but because the guy outside sent me in they had to do something. When I questioned them about the $200 per package thing he told me he was going easy on me. He could make me go across the street to get a broker.

The guy outside was a real jerk. He had powers over me and was going to exert them. It's the badge. It gets to people sometimes. lol 😛 I'd love to know the form number that your friend uses if you don't mind asking them.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Crossing Border Question

She uses form # 7533. She said every guard interprets the regulation differently, never try to argue with them. She pays $5 entry fee or you can get a pass.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Crossing Border Question

You are not supposed to bring in over $5 worth of clothes
Message 6 of 6
latest reply