Customer Wants Cancel - But Has no eBay Acct

This customer placed two orders from eBay within a week. His ID is constructed from his name and 4-digit number and was created on same day as first order was placed.

Now he wants to cancel second order (emails directly) and when I asked him to confirm on eBay the cancellation, he says the process requires eBay acct, which he does not have.

Does eBay allow guest purchases now with automatic ID creation ?
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

And I already promptly got an answer:

I placed the order as a guest, not a registered user.

Well, eBay has created an account with valid ID and captured personal information from the purchase. So I told him to retrieve password through "forgot password" link on the sign-in screen.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

My understanding is that it is not possible to purchase on eBay without being "registered" for whatever that is worth.

Bernie
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

And this is what eBay is doing to us now:

- Please cancel order.

- Please confirm to eBay that you agreed to cancel the order. The payment has been returned.

- I received a message from ebay asking me to confirm cancellation of the order. However, I do not have an ebay account that the procedure requires an ebay account. Please advise.

- you or someone placed this order on eBay, so you must have one.

- I placed the order as a guest, not a registered user.

- I see. Did not realize eBay allows this now, process must be new. eBay has created the account for you already. You may retrieve password for it by clicking "I forgot my password" on the log-in screen and type user name ***their ID***. eBay will send you your password.

- I have attempted that process to no success. I am now becoming angry with both ebay and your company. Simply refund the payment to my corporate credit card today. I donot want to use ebay. I did not create an account with ebay.

- Please READ what I write to you. The payment has been ALREADY REFUNDED before we engaged in this discussion. I have mentioned this several times already. I am not sure what eBay is trying to do, but "guest purchase" is new and there was absolutely nothing wrong we did. YOU decided to make purchase, then YOU changed your mind later, not reading Terms And Conditions you agreed to and now announcing how angry you are with everyone. Have a nice day
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Bernie, there is two options:

1) eBay allows guest purchases and creates temporary accounts for them. I said this guy placed and paid two orders, same ID.

or

2) he is so ignorant and just clicks everything that he may not realize he actually created an account. Now, why would he not be able to retrieve the password if this is the case?

I already wasted 1/2 hr on $16 purchase that was cancelled and then he tells me how angry he is. F**** I****.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

There is no such thing as "guest purchase" and your customer is confused.

Instead of wasting so much time, why don't you just do a "mutual" and close the darn thing after 8 days?

If you have already issued a refund, he can't make a claim.

Bernie

PS: Personally, I would refrain from such emo endings 🙂 They do no good and your customer likely just experienced eBay the hard way, like so many before.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Bernie, I the "emo ending" was still polite and in line. I am not a robot and instead of ignoring people I show small level of frustration. It's not a tantrum but a strategy and in 99% cases it gets customer back into reality. Remaining 1% are hopeless cases who will think how rude I am no matter what I do, but at least they will not try to keep the idle conversation going anymore. My second last neg which says how rude I am is for "what exactly you want me to do" after 9 previous emails. There was no avoiding that neg and I saved time.

Btw. this customer made another order direct from our store today.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

It is a good thing that we are all different as the world would not be as colourful with only Bernie's and Pierre's running the show 😉
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Do Xena and Mary know that you two guys are running the show ?
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

- I have attempted that process to no success. I am now becoming angry with both ebay and your company. Simply refund the payment to my corporate credit card today. I donot want to use ebay. I did not create an account with ebay.

Do you think he is just playing dumb and trying to extract more money from you to his credit card? Is he claiming he did not get the refund through PayPal? Maybe he paid by credit card through PayPal, without having a PP account, and does not realize that PayPal has refunded it through his credit card. Or he does realize it, and is trying to get you to refund it twice. Just a thought.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Pick up the phone and call him. Why would you waste so much time emailing when a simple call can resolve it all? Above all, stay calm (yes, robotic).

I run the biz show and Xena runs everything else, incl. the social/"entertainment" aspect 😛

Bernie
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

If he doesn't have an eBay account, and you have refunded his payment, and you have not shipped anything, what can he do to you?

He can't leave feedback.
He can't trash your DSRs.
He can't file a dispute.
He can't win a dispute, since the payment is refunded.

Start ignoring his emails to your personal addy. In fact block his emails. And remember of course to put him on your Blocked Bidder List.

If he is a non-member scamming, that probably will stop him.
If he is a member, he may figure out how to use Contact Member, which will put him on eBay's radar.

Good luck. And remember, you can't cure stupid.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Western, I don;t think they play dumb. There is something going on at eBay. Bernie says there is no guest purchases, but why this customer was unable to retrieve the password to their account they were not aware they had? There was nothing to be gained by "playing dumb", he simply wanted out of sale before the order was mailed out.

Bernie, customer issue was resolved same day as I mentioned at the end of post #6. My "emo response" stopped further communication and possibly made the customer realize we truly did not do anything wrong. The main issue is the "Guest Purchases". You claim they do not exist, but when I log off and try to do Buy Now on an item, it sends me to sign-in page which has big blue "Guest Checkout" button on the left side.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Yes, folks can buy on eBay as "guest".

For more information, please check this http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/buying-as-guest.html
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

eeeeeeehhhhh !!!!

I did not know that. Since when does this exist and why did eBay not announce this properly to its sellers?

That opens up a whole new can of worms where buyers can have UPI's with impunity and come back to buy under another generic ID. As soon as they have 2 UPI's, create a new "guest" account.

Bernie
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

It has been around for years, five or six.

Does it make sense? Of course not. It goes back to the days eBay would do anything to get new buyers leading to new PayPal users.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I would have been ready to bet this was not possible and would have lost.

I wonder how many on this board also did not know this?

Bernie
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

That's the advantage of grey hair... I know "stuff" 😉

I also forget "stuff" 😞
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Post-It-Notes are my best friends as well 😉

Bernie
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I remembered hearing about this years ago too but never had one buy, at least I don't think I have anyways. I did have one buyer go psycho on me when she paid with her credit card through PayPal.

She absolutely insisted she didn't buy from PayPal and that *I* had fraudulently accepted her credit card payment through PayPal which she hadn't authorized....she's going to report me to the BBB, the news, eBay, the police etc etc etc

I think she sent me something crazy like 5 emails in the course of an hour after she bought something from me. I was at work during the day and came home to this nonsense.

The last one I got from her was basically nevermind I understand now, I called PayPal. But it just makes you shake your head sometimes doesn't it.

Sorry you got stung Dipmicro.
Message 20 of 20
latest reply