DECLARING INCOME...?

19tigger73
Community Member
Hi anyone and everyone,

Sorry if this subject has already been discussed... But just looking for a little clarification.

I sell on a part-time basis, on average selling for a month, then taking a month off. I mainly sell old books with 90% of sales going to the U.S.

My sales are not anything to get rich off of, averaging about 10-15,000$/year, this being a "gross" amount. After deducting what I paid for the items I sold, I think the net amount would be around 7500$-9000$.

This is only my second year selling on eBay and was just wondering if I should be claiming income tax? Should I be looking to register as a business if I plan to continue on eBay and sell more?

If I should be doing these things, where do I go to start or who do I call?

I now have a file-cabinet full of receipts from buying and Paypal Sales receipts...Should I do anything with these now?

I just want to avoid any kind of problems in the future as I have heard some horror stories.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. Any good book-keeping programs I should be using ideal for sellers whose customers are almost all American?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

DECLARING INCOME...?

shooger
Community Member
This has been talked about quite a bit. You'd probably get more info if you went and read the past 3 or 4 discussions on it, because you might not get a lot of new responses here in this thread.

Just want to point out that it doesn't matter if you take a month off. I think the numbers that matter are yearly numbers.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

DECLARING INCOME...?

I asked something similar here:

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jsp?forum=44&thread=100014733
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

DECLARING INCOME...?

19tigger73
Community Member
THANKS GUYS & GALS,

JAVEX: HOWS IT GOING WITH YOU SO FAR? I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BEING I HAVE A FILE -CABINET FULL OF RECEIPTS, INVOICES, ETC.

I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO START FRESH FROM THIS POINT ON, BUT DON'T KNOW...
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

DECLARING INCOME...?

I'm swimming in government forms and documents trying to figure out what to do with all of it. Haven't really gotten out of the starting block quite yet.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply