DO NOT BUY FROM , they send PLASTIC ITEMS and say they are patent leather.

ommblue
Community Member

I received an item fromwhich stated patent leather, and it is PLASTIC.   They have said they will credit me $5.00, I want a full refund and do not want to pay for return.  They just answered me back and said it is patent leather,  IT IS PLASTIC.    

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Well. Actually.

Patent leather IS plastic.

Generally a plastic over fabric to make it more bendy but sometimes over light cardboard. At one time 'patent' leather referred only to the finish but for over 40 years, most fake leathers have been called 'patent'.

Another term is 'vegan leather' which is pretty funny since it contains a lot of petroleum based products, which belies the 'crunchy granola' term.

If you want more than the $5 partial refund, you will have to return the item. You cannot have both the item and the money.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I disagree with the other poster as patent leather is not plastic.

The seller sent the bag through the global shipping program. In some cases if a buyer files and wins an item not as described case and that item was sent through the gsp, the buyer is not required to send the item back. I'm not sure if that is what would happen in this type of situation so you might have to send the bag back in order to receive a refund. A good seller would offer to pay the return shipping costs however ebay can't force the seller to do that.  If the bag has a tag stating what it is made of take a picture and attach the picture to the claim.  If there is no tag then it is a matter of he said/she said.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You buy something from somebody who has 242 negatives and you expect it to be good. GEEZ.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hello 'ommblue',

I understand your fury about lies in the listing, but at this point all you can really do is call it a

learning experience.  And if you buy very much on ebay, you'll end up a whole lot wiser about

these sorts of things.

When contemplating a purchase, -- be sure to look at the seller's feedback, particularly those

negs.  Often you'll see cruel remarks like "It took 2 weeks to arrive" which you can comfortably

ignore, - but when I look at your seller here, well, she has a lot of complaints about poor quality

items, and items not matching the description. 

Buying from HK and China is risky.  People who buy jewelry described as '14K gold' and 'sterling silver'

from there are often outraged to find they have received a cheap 'dollar store quality' item.

If you are unhappy with your purchase, you are required to mail it back with Delivery Confirmation

at your own expense.  You have seen this link about ebay's return/refund policy:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

That would be beastly expensive, - far more $$ than you paid for the item.  So you can either take

the $5 - which is not a bad percentage, really, - or not. 

And then ask yourself, -- did you truly expect you would get patent leather for 8 bucks?

Patent leather is expensive and were it real, a bag that size would cost a whole lot more, at least 

several hundred if the quality was any good.

There may even be a linguistic problem.  Looking at the seller's feedback and her responses, it

would appear she sincerely believes it is okay to call something 'leather' when it is, as you say,

plastic.  But now you know.

The only way to get genuine patent leather is to pay the appropriate price.  You might find searching for it

easier if you choose North America from the Location option on the left side of the page.

I hope you are able to get some use out of that one you have, -- perhaps just not what you intended

it for.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Oops...I was looking at the OP's buyer history at a different patent leather purse so the gsp isn't involved at all.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I don't know femme, but a a few years back I bought some short boots which were patent and were not cheap- not from ebay..  They were definitely leather,nice and fairly soft and  the innerside was  leather, smelt like it too.  Then I bought some sandals from Payless, also patent, cute, but you could definitely tell they weren't leather.  Well, let's say Payless doesn't sell leather and sometimes the smell of rubber gets to you when you walk in there! - but they are super comfortable.

But anyway, the OP obviously doesn't look at all the seller's negs and you get what you pay for!

Cheers

Message 8 of 8
latest reply