DSR shipping fees under 4.5 anyone else having problems ?

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
here is what I will try in all my next lisings , I will add the followong message in all my auction , before you read it understand english is a second language for me so any input greatly appreciated ..

If all Canadain Power sellers write a similar note in all of our listing we will get way more Exposure ... I was thinking maybe someone could make a nice lookin HTML so that we could all have the same one this way even buyer who dont read auction would be curious at one point or another read it .

anyways here it is :

" A note about DSR ( Detailed Seller Ratings ) , PLEASE READ :

While it is very hard to achieve perfection in an online transaction eBay still requires Power Sellers like me to obtain a minimum of 4.5 / 5 on all ratings ... This means when you rate a seller under 5 in any categories it is exactly like saying he does not deserve to be a Power Seller . Recently I have problems obtaining rating above 4.5 in the shipping and handling fees category ( and only in this category ), hence the need to explain shipping fees :

The only way for me to obtain Insurance and tracking information FOR ALL INTERNATIONAL ORDERS is to use Canada Post' s Xpress Post to the US and Canada Post' s E.M.S for international orders . In the United States they have more options for shipping overseas but in Canada we do NOT .

My handling fees are flat fee of 3 $ on every transaction ( sometimes it covers packaging fees sometimes it does NOT )

If you think that is too much and know how I could lower these handling fees please kindly let me know, but please remember I sell sunglasses it is a fragile item and requires to be packed carefully .

Believe me I am aware that paying 60 $ for shipping a 300 $ pair of sunglasses anywhere in Europe or Asia is very frustrating. If I could lower my cost I would sell a lot more , I receive many emails from Italy, Thailand and all over the world to tell me if shipping was lower they would buy from me . Thank you for taking the time to read this and considering how to rate a seller's DSR . "

So what do you all think ? of course this one is personalized for my listing but you get my drift , thanks in advance for your inputs , if solution like this have been posted somewhere else I apologize and thank you in advance for linking me to those solutions .
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

margeo29
Community Member
I know shipping is a sure way to get poor feedback. I know one seller that ships his items for free and he has a DRS rating of 4.6. I charge a flat rate of $5.00 and on high end items shipping is free. If I were selling sunglasses at the price you are I would give free shipping or a flat rate of $5.00 and cover the short fall. If there is not enough mark up than sell something else. Let’s face it the DRS rating sucks and is a flawed rating system and the people who thought it up are not sellers. Remember shop lifters are buyers; think you would get a fair rating from such a person. Don
Message 2 of 73
latest reply

I was including a nice letter with all of my sales explaining the DSR, I was sending a really nice thank you note, also. I emailed all of my customers when they would receive their items and my DSR for shipping and handling tanked at 4.3, I had never been under 4.6.

So I scrapped the nice letter on letterhead, I scrapped the little thank you letter, and I changed the way I send my emails.

NOW I scribble a THANK you note on the packing slip.
I send each customer an email telling them to REMEMBER this item is being sent from CANADA and not the USA, our shipping takes a little longer, so you should receive your parts on such and such day, or sooner.

My DSR to date has risen to 4.62 and rising!!!

Scrap the excess crap it doesn't work, well not in my case, check out my store it still says I will be closing this store at the end of the year.

Customers do not care about the frilly stuff, they just want the goods.

I used to tell the customers to leave feedback in the emails I sent. I DO NOT CARE ANYMORE.

ALL I CARE ABOUT is (1) providing the best service possible, (2) answering all their inquiries in a timely fashion (3) I email my customers alot to tell them where their parcel is so they know it is coming.

I tried the other way, KISS is the BEST way.
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID !!! 🙂
Message 3 of 73
latest reply

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
haha , in a way I am sure you are right , the thing is I cant just stand there and look at my S&H DSR go down like that , my comms and the rest are all over 4.75 , I get excelent rating for my product in feedback comment , but I guss your right I am just having a bad 2- 3 month everything wil lget back in place .

about adding soemthing in our listing dont you think its the least we could do to at least educate buyers ?
Message 4 of 73
latest reply

You know I was doing that but the more information I was giving them the more it made them look at other things, making them think that maybe I was trying to cover up something by talking to much.

Since I have scaled back, things are really picking up, I now have 4.99 in description, 5.0 in communications, 4.8 in shipping and 4.64 now in shipping and handling. From 4.8, 4.8. 4.5. 4.3 in June

You be the judge 🙂

I am actually looking at maybe keeping my store, if things keep going up 🙂 Maybe?
Message 5 of 73
latest reply

Your shipping DSR is steadily falling because eBay is marketting the concept of honest feedback to buyers, which results in users selecting 3 for shipping, aka "Neither quickly nor slowly".

The days of buyers clicking 5 stars on all items is over, get used to it. As a buyer I give three stars for all DSRs by default, which represents average.

Sellers should buy also, and be forced to read the rheams of pages of crap most listings are filled with. Figuring out what exactly you are bidding on and if is dead junk or a functioning item shouldn't be a game of Where's Waldo.

As with most things in life, the less you say the better B-)
Message 6 of 73
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
I absolutely believe the we must educate the sellers as we can see that we aren't going to get assistance from Ebay.

For May my DSR for shipping was 4.3
For June it was 4.5
So far for this month it is 4.71 Yaaaaa!

I changed my email preferences. I now inlude shipping info on the invoice that is sent Congrats you won, On the combined invoice, thank you for your payment, shipping notification, as well as asny other emails.

I also made up a 1/4 of a page letting the buyer know when I received their payment and the date I shipped. If I had to wait for the payment to clear I include that. As well as Canada Post website on all emails as well as this. I include the time frames.

ANd then I try to lighten the message. I add a different one every month. This month mine said "My hubby won't approve any roadtrips at this time so unfortunately I can't hand deliver and must rely on Canada Post". "While they don't offer the same service as I believe I would I feel they do pretty well under the circumstances. All packages leaving my country and entering yours must clear Customs/Home Security. If there are High Alerts or High Volumes your package may be delayed a little longer. If it is around the same time as a holiday it also may be delayed a couple of days. I am still working on my hubby about the road trips so please understand I did everything in my power to get your package delivered as quickly as I can.

For cottonwoodindustries it didn't work. I try to keep my info short and sweet. I add funny cartoons and sometimes tips. I believe it has worked very well for me. It also improved my communication score and I've had buyers thank me for providing the info.

There are always some you can't please. You have to try and find what will work for your buyers. There are others in here that have given suggestions.

For August I am going to include a small calender again. Hi-lighting the payment date, payment cleared, shipping date, days Canada Post doesn't deliver as well as US Postal days they don't deliver. I don't have problems with International buyers. This worked very well for me also.

Yes, it's extra work. But now it only takes a few minutes of me cutting and pasting to make the new leaflet. A few secs to enter the info. It may not work for anyone else but it works for me.

Good Luck
Message 7 of 73
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
There's something wrong with this system. X-( I charge actual shipping cost + $1.00 for handling fee which I list clearly on all auctions. I even sell with FREE SHIPPING and still my DSR shipping evaluation is at 4.52 for the 30 day period and 4.69 for 12 month period.

I have noticed my DSR shipping evaluation seems to go down just before the discount is calculated on the invoice. Strange!!!

My shipping evaluation was well above 5.0 on July 16th. Didn't receive any feedback from buyers until July 22nd but noticed on July 18th my DSR for shipping went down.

Contact E-Bay and asked if the feedback calculations were evaluated in real time and they replied YES. So as soon as a feedback is given then it is calculated in the DSR. Questioned them why my DSR shipping rating went down when there were no current feedbacks and all I got was BLA-BLA-BLA no clear answer or reason.

Anyone else notice this??

Have a nice day.:-)
Message 8 of 73
latest reply

Everyday, feedback that is over 30 days drops off. So even though you are not receiving any feedbacks you are losing them on the other side. So it one of the feedbacks you received in the last 30 days scored you a lower DSR, it will have a bigger impact on the overall picture.

This is what I have been noticing, if there is anyone out there that knows different, please enlighten us, thanks Lore
Message 9 of 73
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Thanks for the update Lore. I forgot about that part of the equation.:O
Message 10 of 73
latest reply

As a buyer I give three stars for all DSRs by default, which represents average.

As you do onto others, they do onto you.

The spirit of what you do carries over in the way you do business. Your customers feel this and act accordingly.

We charge for shipping, packaging, handling (and then some!) and still end up with 4.9's across the board. It is the way that you do business that makes the difference.

Xena
Message 11 of 73
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
I agree with you in part on this Xena. My other DSR numbers are good. I do disagree with your default settings for leaving feedback because this system is suppose to be an honest representation. If I feel the seller's service has warranted 5 stars then I will leave 5 stars and I have for many sellers. If I have purchased from the U.S. or anywhere else I take into account that there are delays with customs that they have no control over. If the shipping rate is within a few dollars or even more depending on the item and what is required to pack I don't have any problem with that either. I also realize there are costs incurred by the seller such as time, packing materials and fuel costs.

This is my view be it right or wrong.:-)
Message 12 of 73
latest reply

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
faerywishes

the problem is not with my handling time , it is for my shipping charges , as I already explained, it is not my fault we are in Canada and we dont have as many options for shipping as in the US , my problem is not related to the delay all my customer are well aware of delay when buying internationnal and I let them know but they keep saying shipping is expensive .. the problem is I AGREE but I cannot pay for the shipping .. I mean they knew shipping cost when they purchased eventho they have no alternative for shipping cost they still rate me by comparing me to there local sellers witch is NOT fair ..

PLEASE SOMEONE LETS EDUCATE BUYERS ABOUT CANADA POST OPTIONS LETS TAKE MATTER IN OUR OWN HANDS !!!!

No matter how many tricks you will give me or not this is not the issue here , the issue is Canada Post charges too much for shipping therefore OUR DSR will suffer from it .

if yours have NOT it is simply because you are not using EMS ( XPRESS POST INTERNATIONAL ) because there is no option with that service it will cost you MINIMUM of 50 $ + insurance ( half that to the US) , now I know some buyers are well aware of this and rate 5 stars anyways but it only takes a few to rate 3 stars or 4 and there goes down your DSR

any help ????????????
Message 13 of 73
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
You need to post something in your auctions related to the Canada Post rates to educate the buyer as long as they can read!! Your shipping rate is clearly listed but you should still make reference to the Canada Post rates or even put into your auctions that you only charge the actual rate you are charged if that's the case. This is the only way you'll be able to educated a buyer. Canada Post rates have always been an issue and always will be. Unless you live close to the border and can take advantage of the U.S. Postal Service your stuck with Canada Post. Have you tried UPS to see how their rates compare to Canada Post?

Hope this helps in some way.
Good luck
Message 14 of 73
latest reply

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
ruthsdevildog

thanks for your input , I guess I have to resign my self about using UPS I think they have slightly better price its just I don' t like UPS AT ALL . ( for many reasons including there BROKER's FEE rip off )

yes my auction will have something to educate buyers , the reason for this thread is I would like all of us to stick togeteher on this and have a similar message this way we ll get more coverage , I get an average of 1200 diffrent IP hits in my various auctions per week , if only 10 of us agree to have same nice looking HTML message we would get great exposure and I am sure within a few month that problem would be almost resolved, and it would help us all

I just had a talk with a new customer from thailand and he was 100% sure seller are makin money from shipping until I linked him to Canada Post web site and showed him the rates then I explained him we are NOT using USPS like in the States , he then apologize for not believing me at first , 1 less millions to go .....
Message 15 of 73
latest reply

I do disagree with your default settings for leaving feedback

I don't have default settings. I was just referencing back to the poster who stated that he/she always leaves a "3". With that attitude, how can one expect one's own customers to be any better?

As to shipping, dagr8, we have something like the 3rd or 4th lowest shipping cost on this planet. Ever try sending anything from Europe? Yet, good sellers' DSRs there don't suffer.

Why you are using EMS and making life miserable for yourself is beyond me. That aside, you are repelling customers with those shipping charges.

BROKER's FEE rip off

It's not a rip-off. That's their business and that's what they charge. If their charges are a rip-off, then so are yours. In both cases one knows the costs up front and we have the choice to select another supplier.

Xena
Message 16 of 73
latest reply

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
Xenalook

Of course now I know that shipping something via UPS standard from the US ( I will pay at least 35 $ broker' s fee + 15 % tax on MSRP . )

The Broker's fee is a rip off IMHO because an item worth less then 100$ will still have 35 $ fee (+ tax) in this case that is 35 % + 15 % tax dont you see the non sense here ?

On used item they calculate 15 % tax on the MSRP so if you got a deal on eBay and bought a used item you gonna end up paying tax on its full price .

I buy almost as much as I sale on eBay and I have many example here is a few example the second one is the best .

a used mirror for my Jeep bought for 25 $ paid 35 $ in broker's fee and 15 % tax calculated out of MSRP (200$) ended up paying over 70$ for a 25 $ USED item ....

sunglasses bought for 150 $ , UPS charges me 35$ of broker's fee and then 15 % tax out of the MSRP witch is 400 $ so I end up paying a bit less then 100 $ in 'custom/duty fees' for a 150 $ used item .... This is where it gets interesting : I refused the package and returned item to sender, had him reship the same package via USPS with the same exact insurance and declaration and I end up paying a bit less then 25 $ ( 15% tax of 150 $ + 6 $ fees )

UPS costs me more in Broker's fee alone .....

About calling my fee a rip off I dont mean no disrespect at anybody and I am sorry if your comment was not intended at insulting me but it kinda felt like that ..

My Shipping fees are like you said 'known up front' and I am using EMS .. but broker's fee are not .. and there is a big difference.

Xenalook

HELP :

my life miserable ? yes you are definitely right I lose a lot of money on this please tell me how I can ship to Europe with insurance and tracking number for less , I would appreciate it very much .
Message 17 of 73
latest reply

There was no intention to insult, of course. However, courier fees are more or less known up front.

I equated your statement to eBay buyers that complain about shipping costs after the fact - they are in the same league as you complaining about courier fees.

You know that you are going to have to dig deeply into your pockets if you ship by courier. You can't just do this and then complain later. And if you don't know what the fees are, ASK!

Personally, I never, ever buy from a seller who will not ship via USPS. Their loss, not mine.

As to overseas shipping. Why tracking, why insurance?

Small packet gives you $100. Bury $5-6 in your pricing somewhere and self-insure. Very, very few items get lost in the mail.

And, if you are miserable and losing money... time to change venues, my friend; no offense intended.

Xena
Message 18 of 73
latest reply

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
lol , by miserable I was just using your own terms :-x
and by losing money I meant I could make more..

I need insurance because my items are worth 300 and up even around 800 often , once I got burned because buyer did not purchase insurance something happened he claimed and paypal ruled in his favor eventho he declined insurance (like they always do ) got stuck with broken item and no money .. so now I purchase insurance , actually if you read any of my auction you ll see I state : insurance is include in the price and Xpress post (EMS ) is mandatory on all auction that sells over 100$

I also got burned for a pair of 150 $ sunglasses I had no delivery confirmation buyer claimed and won eventho I provided receipt and the small packet intl. paper .
that day I realised I was lucky someoen did not claim on a 600 $ pair . So I decided proof of delivery or no slae ... but then eBay implemented DSR so here we are trying to find solutions ..

thanks for your inputs but I am still cluless 😞
Message 19 of 73
latest reply

The spirit of what you do carries over in the way you do business. Your customers feel this and act accordingly.

What kind of self serving drivvle is that... it doesn't even make any sense....

How one conducts business is not directly related to anything other than the business, otherwise one would have to assume that people who cheat Canada Post and are threatened with denial of service and access to accounts probably cheat Revenue Canada, the Provicial Revenue Dept. and their customers as well.

I know lots of people who are terrific business owners but love to go home, get wasted and then do stupid things. This is why making assumptions is the last thing any business should do, or individual for that matter...

If one can't separate their business and their personal life, or lack there of, seek counciling, and quickly before you go postal....
Message 20 of 73
latest reply