Did EBAY "phone" anyone else over taking out certain policies???

boneshakerscards
Community Member
Recently I made a post awhile back on here about not being too pleased with the new 'Buy-It-Now' policies and not being able to list an item for under a dollar, and making the suggestion that if we were allowed to list those items for under a dollar, but make it a 'choice' listing where the buyer could choose several items worth more than a dollar it would be fine.

Today, I get home to find someone from Ebay has left a message on my answering machine about it and telling me, and I hope I have this right, that they have 'removed' the limitations on choice listing and now allow it. As well they have 'removed' their limitations on identical listing of 15 or more items. Then the woman said if I need any more info to check out Ebay's annoucement board.

I went to check it for clarification as to what it's all about since the phone call was somewhat vague only to find nothing on the annoucement board about this sort of thing.

My question is, did anyone else get this phone call or know what it's about and could shed some light on the lifting of these restrictions and limitations??
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Look harder...it was announced about 3 weeks ago at the same time as a few other changes.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
boneshakerscards -"... As well they have 'removed' their limitations on identical listing of 15 or more items."

Is this just being cynical, or naïve?

When getting ANYONE to list is an issue- lift the limits on the amount of IDENTICAL ITEMS you may list!

If the earlier reasons for such restrictions were sound for eBay- why do they not apply to today's eBay?
I believe it was to create a better searching experience for the buyer- without having to look at endless listings for IDENTICAL ITEMS.

So now- when the number of listings has dropped- the buyer be damned- and let them wade through endless IDENTICAL LISTINGS?

NOTE- sellers must pay for these IDENTICAL LISTINGS. Are sellers really that stupid? (And please- no lectures on economics- or the fact that I don't know how to market- I'll stay stupid with 100% and no BUYER NEGS for 2700+ transactions.)

Am I just being cynical, or naïve?
Oh, how the once mighty have fallen!
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Just for fun under HELP-
Go to the "CONTACT US" at the left sidebar, and click on it.
Then click LISTING VIOLATIONS (to the right).

Follow through to:
LISTING POLICY VIOLATIONS

Then:
OTHER LISTING POLICY VIOLATIONS

Then, FOURTH from the top- VOILA!=
LISTING MORE THAN FIFTEEN IDENTICAL ITEMS

If ever there was a case of ONE HAND not knowing what the other was doing- WELCOME TO eBay!
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

boneshakerscards
Community Member
Thank you Recped, I guess I didn't look hard enough and just figured it would be the lastest annoucement since I just got the phone call today! But you're right...

As far as Lina says,"OTHER LISTING POLICY VIOLATIONS
Then, FOURTH from the top- VOILA!=
LISTING MORE THAN FIFTEEN IDENTICAL ITEMS
I agree that they don't seem to know what's going on with their ownselves and hence the reason why I asked if anyone else could give me some clarification on what is, and what isn't still an Ebay listing violation.

I don't have much faith in Ebay's technical support right now!! Actually my picture uploader hasn't worked in over a week now, the 1st message I sent about it, I got the andriod response of: "It's a technical issue and an active bug in the system we are working on." I sent another message about it last night and got a weird response about an issue with Turbo Lister when that's not even what I am using, and then the only "Tech" support they could give me was, and I quote: "Try using another web browser or using a different computer." Well geez! That is the most pitiful answer I have ever received... tell me to 'buy' another computer to fix my problem...

Sorry, I feel like I'm ranting on this page which I know is not right, but I am almost fed up enough in less than 5 months to start looking at another web provider after the problems I have had with Ebay... but at the same time I still wanna make this work if I can and I want to be clear on ALL their new policies. The ones that do affect me, and the ones don't! Thank you!
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Here's another conflict-
eBay has rules regarding the sale of "raw" (uncertified) coins on eBay.COM- that are located in the UNITED STATES. (these rules DO NOT apply to eBay.CA)

When questioning items clearly listed as located in the UNITED STATES- and listed on eBay.COM- being ICCS Certified/GRADED- contrary to eBay policy- this was eBay's reply:

"The Live Auctions site is a specialty area within eBay. Items listed in
Live Auctions are actually for sale in an international auction house.
These auction houses are vetted by eBay and are allowed to list a wide
variety of items on eBay.

Because these auction houses actually handle the auction and possess the
item, eBay has given some latitude to the auction houses listing items
with regard to eBay policies surrounding authenticity. Most auction
houses employ experts in a variety of fields in order to authenticate
and evaluate the items the auction house puts on the auction block. For
this reason, auction houses may be exempt from certain listing policies
when putting their items in the Live Auctions categories on eBay."

SO- there is one rule for EVERYONE that IS NOT an "AUCTION HOUSE"- AND ANOTHER completely UNWRITTEN set of RULES for AUCTION HOUSES!
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Here's the rule- does anyone note any exceptions for AUCTION HOUSES?

"Raw and Uncertified Coins
A raw or uncertified coin is defined as any coin not graded by one of the authorized grading companies. Sellers are permitted to list these items on eBay under the following conditions:
A numeric grade is not included in the title of the listing, such as MS-65, VF-25, etc. A numeric grade may only be included in the description of the listing.
The grading company or price guide is not referenced in the title or description.
A dollar value (even if personal opinion) is not included in the title or description."
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Lina, sorry but you're wrong. What you're not understanding is that the help files are woefully behind. The 15 identical listings thing just changed recently. The announcement board is where new policies are announced and is considered an ammendment to the user agreement.

That is where the most current info is. They will get around to updating the help files but they're slow. There have always been differences the .ca and .com site rules. It's nothing new.

If you check the announcement boards you'll find Live Auctions have been or will shortly be discontinued. Don't get your knickers in a knot.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
So now- when the number of listings has dropped- the buyer be damned- and let them wade through endless IDENTICAL LISTINGS?....

You got it!
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
jakeeangel- maybe I am being far too in my naïve belief that, like in the case of writing a cheque- the BODY & FIGURES should match!
If you change the rules- I expect to find those changes IN THE RULES- and not be expected to find the details in "ANNOUNCEMENTS".

WHEN I CLICK RULES- I EXPECT THEM TO BE UP TO DATE.
ANYTHING LESS IS ABSURD- AND TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE.

IF THE "RULES" AREA IS DEFICIENT- THEN CHANGE THE NAME TO SOMETHING MORE APPROPRIATE- LIKE"
"POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS, THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE CURRENT"

I appreciate the differences in the eBay.COM- and eBay.CA rules.
It's when the RULES for eBay.COM are clearly NOT APPLIED in some cases- as I described regarding AUCTION HOUSES.

If the item cannot be sold by ANY eBay seller on the eBay.COM site- why can a US AUCTION HOUSE list that IDENTICAL ITEM on the eBay.COM site?
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi all,

In regards to our lifting the restriction against multiple listings, this is being done in conjunction with the launch of some new improvements in Finding. You can read more here: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/200805191654102.html

The highlights: "To prevent buyers from being overwhelmed by identical listings, advancements in Finding will limit the display of duplicates from the same seller. The listing displayed will be determined by the sort option that the buyer chooses, such as Time Ending Soonest, Newly Listed, Total Cost, and Best Match."

The change to Finding to support this is not live yet - hence the policies and Help pages have not changed yet. This was supposed to go in early June, but I understand it's been moved back a couple weeks.

Live Auctions on eBay.com are being retired at the end of 2008, I believe. We've never had Live Auctions on eBay.ca, so I don't know anything about how it is run, I'm afraid.

Hope this clarifies.

Miriam
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Miriam - I thank you for jumping in here with a response.

HOWEVER- I take great issue with what you are saying.
If I am to understand correctly- a SELLER may list AND PAY for ANY NUMBER of listings- WITHOUT RESTRICTION!

HOWEVER- eBay will NOW "limit the display of duplicates from the same seller".

THIS IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF BS I HAVE SEEN TO DATE!

You can BEST MATCH all you want- and place items wherever you want in the defined search. HOWEVER- RESTRICTING the number displayed- that is ONE STEP TOO FAR!

OK- everyone reading this- now's your chance- DO YOU AGREE that eBay is going too far- to the possible point of breach of contract, and restriction of trade?
Is this a matter for the Competition Bureau?

If I pay to list an item- I expect that item to be displayed.
Where under the BEST MATCH system is not the issue.
JUST THAT IT BE DISPLAYED !!!!!
What is the sense of having unlimited listing- READ AS A CASH GRAB- if eBay WILL NOT DISPLAY THOSE ITEMS ("eBay...will limit the display of duplicates from the same seller").
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Something is very ORWELLIAN here.

Miriam writes "new improvements in Finding"

FOLLOWED BY:- "advancements in Finding will limit the display of duplicates from the same seller"

IMPROVED FINDING MEANS TO LIMIT DISPLAY OF DUPLICATE ITEMS.

If this were true, and accurate as stated- what idiot seller would waste their time, energy, and money ever placing a duplicate listing on eBay?
This certainly can't be a gateway to more listings- or revenue.

THEREFORE- the REMOVING of any RESTRICTION on the number of IDENTICAL items a seller may list, has the effect of IMPROVEMENT by reducing ITEM exposure, and therefore eBay revenue, vis a vis reduced seller listing.

Orwell would be proud!

Welcome to a brave NEW eBay!
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
I just popped over to the ANNOUNCEMENTS-
and found this little gem"

"Also, the number of listings from any one seller will be limited to 10 per page, unless the only available listings that remain are from the same seller. This change ensures buyers have a variety of sellers to choose from"

Maybe I have no clue what's going on here- but this is micromanagement to the point of suicide.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

"OK- everyone reading this- now's your chance- DO YOU AGREE that eBay is going too far- to the possible point of breach of contract, and restriction of trade?"

Actually, in this specific instance, I fully agree with eBay's position.

Restricting the number of identical listings by the same seller to ten on the first page gives a change to all other (smaller) sellers to have their item seen.

It is fair, it makes a lot of sense and there is nothing illegal about it. I am not sure why anyone would object. .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
pierrelebel would you like to hazard a guess what an "IDENTICAL ITEM" is?

Is it the title- simply change ONE WORD.
Is it the item's category- and price- too vague.
Many similar- though not identical items would fall into this situation.

So- WHAT EXACTLY IS an IDENTICAL item?
And- how will eBay determine this?

As for 'advantaging' NEW sellers????
Aren't these sellers the exact same group that eBay/PayPal have always stated that the most problems arise from?

Proven sellers are not eBay's BIGGEST problem. NEW sellers clearly are.
So, anything that promotes these NEWEST sellers, can't be a good thing- right?
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

"So- WHAT EXACTLY IS an IDENTICAL item?
And- how will eBay determine this?"

Only eBay can answer that question. Have you asked them? Customer Service? Live Help? Rodney on Thursday? .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

boneshakerscards
Community Member
I agree that lifting the limit on identical listings is nothing more than a money grab by Ebay to make more listing fees and boost the listing numbers when they show their records to stock holders. My first question would be of course why someone would waste their money listing identical items over and over again. If I have 10 units of an item (or card in my case) I make one listing and list the quantity of the item as 10. That way I'm only paying 1 listing fee instead of 10.

To Pierre:"So- WHAT EXACTLY IS an IDENTICAL item?
And- how will eBay determine this?"
In my personal case this could mean the same item, but different serial number. A lot of rookie cards coming out lately are all serial numbered out of 499, or 999, or 1999. In this case, I could see someone make a different listing for each different serial #. Same item, yet different # on it.

This would be the only reason why I could see someone make several 'identical' listings of an item, just because it is a limited edition and does have different serial #'s on them. If someone was to have 50 out of those say 499, they might want to make a different listing for each. Still a waste of money if you ask me though, but that's the only thing I can think of!
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I agree that lifting the limit on identical listings is nothing more than a money grab by Ebay

Why then have some sellers been requesting this change for years?

Keep in mind that at the same time as this "money grab" eBay have now allowed Choice listings which means lower listing fee revenue and fewer listings for eBay.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 19 of 19
latest reply