Does This Looks Like a Scam

First time posting here, but the email from this customer on a laptop that they purchased from me seems like they are using another credit card and will file a chargeback eventually for an unauthorized transaction. See what you think and provide me with your comments.

Item #140258069248
I bought this item for a friend visiting me from France, I used his credit card for the account but to confirn the new account info, I need to wait till Tue for his Bank in france to confirm the cradit card account so we can pay for the item !!!
Please wait till Tue for this to take place and them we will pay for the computer and hope it is mailed and received before he returns to France on the 31st. OVERNIGHT MAIL or FEDEX.
THANk YOU

If that's the case, what's the best thing to do in this situation.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I would get on to .com live help and explain the situation, and see what they say,

I would really be leery about that transaction, it goes against all paypal protection.

I would call paypal's 1-800-number and talk to one on their agents they are pretty good to deal with, and see what it is you need to get from this person, to make sure it is safe Loré
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The guy who is buying it, seems alright.

It could be true.

I would still call paypal and see what you need to make sure you are protected
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
It's the request??? for OVERNIGHT MAIL or FEDEX that should be the BIG RED FLAG.

It sounds more like the person using the card is waiting to see if it is reported stolen.
I am trying to grasp the "I bought this item- I used his credit card for the account"- and I am waiting to see if it works.

This absolutely 100% looks like a scam.

RUN !!!!!!!!!
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Looking at the auction-
WHY didn't the person purchasing the item didn't simply pay for it with their PRE-EXISTING means of payment- and then get reimbursed by his friend?

You could suggest an e-check payment. Suggest that they get the money, and deposit it in their bank account.
Again, the less contact with a credit card related payment- especially no in the name of the cardholder, can't be a bad thing.
And what about the possibility that the friend says HE (the buyer) was not authorized to use the credit card. Too complicated- and too many RED FLAGS.

THIS IS $1000 item- asking questions is a GOOD thing !!!!!

I can see about $400 in OTHER recent purchases made by this buyer- how did they pay for those? Had they ANOTHER credit card on file with PayPal again I ask- again, I ask, why not use that one?

Of 22 items I can view- There is a trend, representing 12 items purchased, toward SMALL value- UNDER $10 items. Is this a way of booting FEEDBACK numbers?

I don't know, this may be 100% legit- but for you this is a BIG TICKET item- and caution is never a bad idea. Once sent- the laptop is gone. Trying to recover anything, if this is a transaction that goes bad, will be difficult, if not impossible. PayPal may protect the buyer- but you would likely be out on a limb.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I would personnally ask the buyer to pay with a money order or western union (hes going to pay with Paypal with an uncomfirmed address and to ship to different address no seller protection from Paypal on this one). If you want to risk loosing a laptop and $1000.

Good Luck.

Frederic
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

While the user in question does not have anything noteworthy in their feedback, the problem of not having a confirmed address to ship to should govern your decision because you have no protection.

If your listing states that the buyer must have a confirmed Paypal address, then you can cancel the sale but you will need the buyers cooperation to reclaim the FVF.

Personally, if I wasn't confident, I would wait for payment and see how it's being paid for, if I still didn't feel comfortable, I would refund the payment and advise the buyer that as a result of US Customes delays of at least a week and usually longer, you cannot meet the customers delivery date.

amp
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I was eventually able to work it out with the buyer for them to pay with their own credit card and confirm the address with Paypal. They don't need it until August 31st, so that's not a problem either.

Thanks everyone for your comments and input, $1000 value purchase was a concern for me because the email did really sound like one from a scammer.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

so what's our cut 😛
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

because the email did really sound like one from a scammer

If I wanted to scam someone or use stolen CC, I would not make a beep until item in my hands not to raise the red flag.

The biggest scammers of all are lawyers, patent trolls, real estate agents. And some of my suppliers 😉
Message 10 of 10
latest reply