EBAY WANTS ITS SELLERS BACK

Interesting article in the Webpro news http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/01/09/ebay-wants-its-sellers-back

Makes Feedback and Payment Policy Changes

Early last year, eBay inflicted some damaging policy changes that sent many sellers running for the hills. Now, they apparently are changing the rules to remove negative comments left by customers towards the sellers.

A couple months ago I talked to a number of eBay sellers, and all but one of them told me that eBay's feedback policy was their biggest frustration. It now seems that eBay has decided to hear the howls of disgust from its users that have been going on for the majority of the past year. Ecommerce Journal reports:

The move to change the Feedback policy was prompted by numerous requests made by the cross-border sellers who received negative comments from customers while there wasn’t actual fault with the merchants. Now eBay will be removing feedback if: the listing meets the Customs Requirements and/or the seller receives a negative or neutral Feedback comment, which references customs delays or customs fees. Merchants in turn are obliged to advise the buyers that import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility.

There was also a lot of frustration about eBay's payment policy. Many were enraged by the favoritism showed to eBay-owned PayPal. eBay will reportedly now be adding Moneybookers and PayMate as acceptable methods of payment starting next month.

eBay users have been quite vocal in their displeasure with the famous auction site. It seems unlikely that many of them that have been so passionate will be willing to go back to eBay just because they finally acknowledged these issues. But the brand power that eBay carries does pull a lot of weight. Are you (or were you) an eBay seller? What do you think?
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

fenian
Community Member
What I think is that they should scrap the entire ridiculous DSR system. In my experience, I've encountered overseas buyers who thought that a "1" was good - (in the sense of "that seller is # 1)and given all "1s" across the board. Any system that says a "4" is "good" then can suspend a seller who gets DSRs below 4.1 is just plain WRONG. I'm a fan of just having "would you buy from this seller again - yes or no" as a supplement to feedback ......but don't get me going on feedback..........!!
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

100% behind you on the DSR thing. and the feedback system is a joke. how come I can't leave neg. feedback for ebay on this?
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Too little, too late.
The ship sailed long ago. eBay hasn't jumped the shark yet- but that time is coming. And, it will happen.

As for feedback removal- if the buyer DOES NOT mention Custom's or additional fees- the NEGATIVE would remain. Unless there were other feedback violations.

So- in the end- this is a very narrow additional window of opportunity being given for feedback removal.

HOWEVER- I would be a whole lot happier if NO FEEDBACK would be permitted respecting shipping charges- when eBay encourages, and the item is listed with FREE (which is ISN'T!!!)
SHIPPING!

eBay most certainly knows when an item listed has FREE SHIPPING- yet will still permit the buyer to leave any sort of DSR they wish respecting the NON EXISTENT SHIPPING charges!
Common sense be damned! eBay permits it.
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
I read the announcement about the Custom's and Cross Border information that needs to be placed in ones listings and decided I'm not going to worry about it because it means changing more than 2500 listings yet again.

And...I made a New Year's Resolution regarding eBay...actually two. The first is to remain positive and the second is...NO MORE REDOING LISTINGS.

Most certainly 2008 was a year of doing and redoing and redoing and redoing. No more!

Have a good one!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Hi Susan,

I agree with you ! With all the policy changes had to redo all listing a few times last year. Hope we won't have to make changes again this year.

Frederic
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

The changes are still nowhere near what they should be.

If you read further on in the provided link a lot of people have joined the eBay bashing party and have used the pedastal to promote their own sites.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Surely there is not much else that can be taken out of my listings!!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
Good Morning Susan

Do buyers even read the item description anyway? 😉

Colleen
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Colleen,

That is the million dollar question!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Personally, I would not include the extra info as it's a "negative" connotation and only makes buyers aware that there could be a customs problem.

Most Americans are blissfully unaware of any customs issues due to their $200 importation limit.

Here we ensure the declared value is under the limit or we split into multiple packages.

We have never, ever, received a complaint re customs from our buyers - so why throw that in their face on a listing?

Cheers
Bernie
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

eBay isn't going to get people back when their only response to issues is 'tough luck'
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I would not include the extra info as it's a "negative" connotation and only makes buyers aware that there could be a customs problem

exactly my feelings when I read it
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

margeo29
Community Member
I have been battling eBay ever since they changed the feedback system and introduced the DSR which is absolutely ridicules.

# 1, I am a customer of eBay’s and they certainly treat me like dirt. They couldn’t care less if I closed my store and started a online store. My cost on eBay is approx. $250.00 a month and they treat me like dirt and threaten to suspend me all the time; I have a warning on my site right now and they will not tell me what it is about.

# 2, I buy far more on eBay than the management team that owns eBay and once again eBay treats me like so much garbage.

Why doesn’t eBay implement a DSR rating system for their customers to post a 1 - 5 star posting on how they treat their customers.

Just a thought? When I do leave eBay sellers on eBay will lose about a customer who spends $6,000.00+ a year and eBay will lose approx $3,600.00+ a year. Don
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I have been battling

Therein lies your problem.

They couldn’t care less

They do care. However, they can't adapt their modus operandi to every single seller. Some will stay, some will go and others will come.

It's the same with our customers. Some we just can't please and they wander off to the competition. We do care but are just not willing to accommodate some of their requests.

We have never been treated like dirt, even when our eBay fees were only $250/month.

Why do you get threatened with suspension "all the time"? Surely because you are violating policies. Phone PS support and they will tell you what the "warning" is about.

It's a mere assumption and, besides, what difference does it make?

Why doesn’t eBay implement a DSR

Run it by them. You never know; stranger things have happened.

eBay will lose approx $3,600.00+ a year

Not necessarily. Many items sold on eBay are unique and if not purchased by you, will be bought by someone else. A competitor leaving a marketplace is often an opportunity for someone in waiting.

Cheers
Bernie
Message 15 of 25
latest reply

... you know... there is that deal that eBay struck with CanadaPost where you can buy those eBay boxes at cheap prices with free shipping...

I wonder if we ALL BOUGHT those boxes from CanadaPost and left negative feedback for them if CP would put pressure on eBay to change their ways???

if 300-500 of us did it in the next week or so, we could really change the DSR of CanadaPost..

of course, we'd be pissing off a (almost) innocent victim but would be making a point..

anyone with me on this?
mike at selltoronto dot com
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
I would think that if that amount of neg feedback was left they would cancel them.

I for one use them weekly and really like them.
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

I use them all the time and would hate to see them gone.

Not such a good idea.
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I wonder if we ALL BOUGHT those boxes from CanadaPost and left negative feedback for them if CP

Just hope that no one ever does this to you!

Cheers
Bernie
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Well as the stomach turns, eBay's just ended quarterly income was down 35%. The projection for the next quarter is break even or a small loss. After that it gets pretty ugly.... but most analysts are just guessing what 2 quarters out will look like, but we do know it certainly won't look pretty in the US.

There's a good chance eBay's credit instruments will be rated as 'junk' by spring due to all that debt piled up trying to take over the internet financial transation gateway business... Luckily there are lots of alternatives now to take PayPal's share as soon as they can.
Message 20 of 25
latest reply