Ebay Seller Protection is a Flippin Joke!

My story: Buyer was making me offers to make a deal outside of ebay on an item ( with proof in my inbox ). I declined the offer because I thought I was doing the right thing and all while being protected by ebay, keeping the sale in the system and honestly paying a commission to ebay for the exposure of the item.

The buyer has now claimed he has not received the item that I sold through ebay... ( by the looks of it, it seems this is happening frequently ). I get a little email from ebay stating that the money ( total sale ) is going to be refunded to the buyer out of my PayPal account with NO dispute or resolution as a seller. What the heck is up with this? There would have been a better dispute process if I sold the item outside of ebay with my shipper . Why am I paying a commission/ selling through ebay? Why discourage sellers from making deals outside of ebay? 

This is how you treat your paying customers ebay? Keep it up ebay and you are going to lose another honest seller and buyer forever and will never earn another cent from the sale of my stuff!

FYI: The exact same thing happened to me several years ago under a different user name and lost allot of money because a buyer claimed they did not receive MY ( they still are mine, unpaid ) items, which forced me to never to deal with ebay again.... here we are, five years later and the same things are happening! Shame on me for ever coming back.

Why can't sellers see a history of a buyers habits, in particular- claims they do not receive merchandise? Don't you think this would be the right thing to do for sellers ebay? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

The buyer has now claimed he has not received the item that I sold through ebay..

Did the customer pay?

Did he open a formal Dispute through eBay/Paypal?

Did you ship with a Delivery Confirmation number?

If you can show that the item was received by the buyer, and the only way you can do this is by giving eBay/PP the Delivery Confirmation number, then the customer's claim will fail.

The 'off-eBay' stuff is irrelevant to the Claim.

Has the money been removed from your PP account? Is the money being Held instead?

I've had money held recently which was released when the buyer agreed that the problem had been resolved. Of course, that was an amicable transaction.

You can also Report members from the Site Map, if you think something sketchey is going on.

Hindsight but, it is often worthwhile to upgrade shipping to DC if there is a questionable customer. Odd that a buyer wanted to go off-eBay, usually it is the seller who wants to avoid eBay fees. Since PP Buyer Protection is almost as strong as eBay Buyer Protection, the off-eBay sale doesn't actually protect the seller, but many seem to think it will.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Odd that a buyer wanted to go off-eBay, usually it is the seller who wants to avoid eBay fees. Since PP Buyer Protection is almost as strong as eBay Buyer Protection, the off-eBay sale doesn't actually protect the seller, but many seem to think it will.

I remember having one buyer a long time ago who wanted to make a deal off eBay.  Of course she also wanted a cut price because she knew I would not have to pay eBay fees.  There would have been absolutely no benefit to me if I had agreed to do so.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Unless you have delivery confirmation, neither you nor paypal know if your buyer did or did not receive their item so you will always lose a claim in that situation.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I currently have a case pending that I will shortly escalate. A buyer in Finland with 2 Feedbacks (one mine and one from another Canadian coin dealer) opened a non delivery case with both of use. As many Canadians, items were shipped light packet due to cost. Both items (mine and the other seller's) were in the $28.00 dollar range. The buyer is obviously scamming. When I confronted him with the fact that he also did the same thing to another seller, he left me negative feedback. Are you saying Ebay should rule in the buyer's favour?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Are you saying Ebay should rule in the buyer's favour?

Unforunately the answer is Yes.

As long as you don't have  a tracking number,ebay is always on buyers side.

I had a case last yera,when a buyer from Russia got the postcard and claimed that he didn't.

Surely Paypal  proptly refunded him.I did my own research on a buyer and found that he listed "lost" postcard on Russian auction site(similar to ebay).

How do I know,that it's my card,-by some stain and dirty spots on a front.I did find this person on Russian postcards related website  and  started a discussin ,on which he promptly replied.He  admitted,that  a card was well received,but refused to repay.

Anyway,I contacted ebay with all the information,links to Russian auction etc..,that answer was "pretty simple,the case is close and there is nothing  ebay can do about it.

Now I know what is a seller protectionmas long as you don't have a tracking No,there is no protection at all and it is a reason,why I'm selling some more expensive postcards somewhere else.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I don't agree. The difference in this case is that the buyer did the same think to two sellers at the same time.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

I currently have a case pending that I will shortly escalate. A buyer in Finland with 2 Feedbacks (one mine and one from another Canadian coin dealer) opened a non delivery case with both of use. As many Canadians, items were shipped light packet due to cost. Both items (mine and the other seller's) were in the $28.00 dollar range. The buyer is obviously scamming. When I confronted him with the fact that he also did the same thing to another seller, he left me negative feedback. Are you saying Ebay should rule in the buyer's favour?

Escalating a case that you will lose? That is not smart. Every sale cannot be a perfect sale. Separate business from personal and let it go. Escalating, you will lose the case and end up with a case closed against you. Takes a year to drop off. For what, a few dollars? Not worth it.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

By  PP & ebay policies,no tracking NO,-no seller protection.In this case ,it looks like  a real scam,but  again,by their policies sellers cannot prove anything.I had few cases over all years,and PP and ebay always were on buyers side.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

That's a ridiculous statement and a defeatist attitude. Personal? Seriously? BTW. There are more details in a separate thread posted here about this case should you take the time to read. If at least some of the sellers don't stand up to buyer fraud, nothing will ever change. For the very few items that I have lost shipping over the many years, I've usually provided refunds. I'm well versed in Ebay's policies and intricacies. This is an obvious exception. Secondly, the other seller that is involved with this buyer (also a case) has successfully won a case against this same buyer using a different account with similar circumstances. To assume and ALLOW automatic outcomes in cases and to just "write off" such as these without some sort of common sense prevailing is irresponsible and ultimately makes this market place come under even more criticism. Be it you or any other buyer or seller shouldn't take an attitude of "oh well" when being blatantly defrauded. Should we allow the practise of people stealing from a store while the security personnel watch on a camera and say "oh well"? Ebay has fiduciary responsibility to it's customers (that would be us) to make every effort in making the environment a safe one for both the buyers and the sellers. Automatic closing of cases based on a criteria of "buyer paid so we take his word" when there is evidence to the contrary breaches that responsibility.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

CoinHunter, you are making business, personal. I refuse to do that. My loss experience is within budget.

my sales are higher than budget. My losses are lower than budget. I am personally happy.
Photobucket
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You might see it that way. I'd like to make a conscious effort to voice my opinion of displeasure when facing something blatantly wrong.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply