Ebay deals holiday sweepstakes

Did anyone else get this invite in your ebay inbox?  I went to click to enter and I got a huge message come up that said the website was dangerous, and would transfer personal information to an unknown source, so the webpage was blocked by microsoft.  So either the sweepstakes is a scam, or there is something wrong with the page.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Yep - I got the same thing.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I gave all my information, I guess I got scammed..

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Beware of phishing emails.

If you have responded... change your password, or things can go crazy when someone hacks in to use your ID.

Many times they use one one day listings that are too good to be true....

If the email looks strange

and

(1) If it says   eBay.. forward it to spoof @ebay.com

(2) If it says Paypal ... forward it to spoof@paypal.com

and eBay or Paypal will respond and let you know if it is real or NOT

Always be careful....  Your ID and associated information are critical to your using eBay or Paypal....

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@renfrewite wrote:

Did anyone else get this invite in your ebay inbox?  I went to click to enter and I got a huge message come up that said the website was dangerous, and would transfer personal information to an unknown source, so the webpage was blocked by microsoft.  So either the sweepstakes is a scam, or there is something wrong with the page.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to confirm that this is legitimate - eBay Deals is hosting a Sweepstakes from Nov 1 to Nov 14, as outlined in the email. Visit here for full details: https://promotions.mardenkane.com/ebay/joytoyou/register.cfm

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Always be careful

If it is from eBay... there should be a copy  in eBay Messages.

If it looks like it is from Paypal...always check  the Paypal account to determine if the claims in the email are real. 

I used to respond to questions about eBay listings and sign with my real name as well as my eBay ID.

Today  I answer signed with my eBay ID only.

People  that forward phishing email  are getting very good at what they do...  and if they ask a question they do not get my real name.

An email from eBay or Paypal  will most likely have a real name associated with it..

A few months ago  some phishing emails appeared with my real name.....

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

One "tell" is that phishers will address you as "customer" or "member", while eBay/PP  will call you by your real name -- not just your ID.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Please tell us you are kidding. Please.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thanks Kalvin, but if everyone gets a warning message when clicking on it, then no one will enter it.  My browser won't allow me to go on, it just blocks it completly and the only thing I can do is close.  I figured since it was in my Ebay inbox that is was safe, since I have never gotten scam messages in my ebay inbox before.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Kalvin I just clicked on the link in your message here, and got the same message stating that the website is unsafe, and not to proceed.  I can't proceed because the only option it gives me is to close the window to cancel.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

edsel613
Community Member

after I hit enter - it says page not found

@renfrewite wrote:

@renfrewite wrote:

@renfrewite wrote:

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

edsel613 wrote:

after I hit enter - it says page not found

The post you quoted was made in Nov 2013 so more than likely that page was deleted a while ago.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply