Emailing Past Buyers

faerywishes
Community Member
Could someone tell me if I am allowed to contact all my past buyers through email about a contest I am holding this month? Or can I only email those that have agreed to receive my newsletter? I have tried to find something in the help, but I guess I am not very good at it as I'm not able to find it.

I would really appreciate the answer.

Thanks & Have a Wonderful Day!!:-x
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Emailing Past Buyers

lina-mallows
Community Member
We had customers before we ever sold on eBay.

We sell items in our store that we do not offer on eBay.

You do not work for eBay. eBay provides you with a service you pay for.
eBay does not own your inventory.
Outside of the services eBay provides, governed by their terms of use, what control does eBay really hold over you, or anyone else for that mater?

PLEASE read between the lines for the answers.

And if you, or anyone else chooses not to sell on eBay....what if anything regarding eBay's nonsense should one be concerned about?

There is a BIG world outside of eBay. Enjoy it!

P.S. The mere mention of CONTEST crosses into Federal, and Provincial territory. So, however well intentioned- PLEASE SEEK LEGAL ADVICE.
eBay itself has strict rules regarding contest/lotteries/giveaways as many of these are forbidden in some US STATES. Canada has Quebec laws to deal with- and it is not too dissimilar to the US issue.

HAPPY CANADA DAY !!! (pretend the text is BIG and RED!)
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Emailing Past Buyers

Once you have contact information it's between you and the buyer as Ebay cannot prevent you from further contacts.

However you can only send 1 unsolicited email per year per customer not to be considered a spam.

But I get more that 1/yr from legitimate US companies (Microsoft, Microchip, etc) I never subscribed to any newsletters with, so I guess that legislation is not enforced.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Emailing Past Buyers

faerywishes
Community Member
Thank you so much dipmicro. I really appreciate the info you provided. I will rethink when it would be most advantageous to send.

Have a Wonderful Day
Message 4 of 4
latest reply