Emergency Room Heater

With the ice Storm and possibility of some people being without power for an extended period of time I thought I would post this video I found on another site about how to make a candle powered room heater.

Now in Canada using three or four of these in a room would be more practical and I wouldn't leave it sitting on anything made out of paper like this chap does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHqBcZqNzE

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Emergency Room Heater

Kool video .... Note to people do not run a Gas powered gen in closed qaurter or your barbecque ... If your running a Gas Gen put it outside run extention cord through window cover of area around cord coming in to prevent cold from coming through ...

Times may be tough for some right now but still remember to use common sense bundle up and it will be over soon .. I went through this 2 years in a row at temps of minus 30 and had to send my wife and kids away both time well I stayed and got some heat in the house and kept water lines from bursting and the one year I actually gutted and repaired my furnace but  I had 2 winter no powe for 24 hrs at a time in minus 30-35 C

Where there is a will there is a way remember we did not always have houses with furnaces and electricity and survived just fine ...

ON THAT NOTE .. on the new one buddy said we had our Ipads charged ... WHAT .. You have no power in the cold of winter but you have a charged ipad ... LOL silly silly people ...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Emergency Room Heater

One horror story from a few years ago a guy had one of those propane stoves you use when you go camping and during a power failure he put in on top of his kitchen stove forgetting that the burners had been turned on.

When the power came back on it blew up.

Luckily no one was at home at the time.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Emergency Room Heater

people lose there minds when they get cold I think .. I mean you hear stuff like severe whether warning for Toronto -14C ..

Honestly -14C I put a sweater on and go shovel my driveway for an hr then do an oil change and bring my kids out to play for an hr in my track shoes but I do wear gloves and put my hood up ...

I think to myself I am only a 600km or so from Toronto are they really so far they need to act like we are in different worlds..

-14C is a very nice day to me  I also hate the heat though ..

I was checking out some of the places without power it is not even that cold right now so thank god they will be ok and maybe some people will make the best of it and go back to when Christmas was really about family and friends and pull ot the board came and light some candles and maybe a little propane heater to make some hot coco or even over a fire if you can ..

When I was a kid which was only 20 years ago Christmas was alot better then it is now .. I don't ever remember complaining on Christmas about give or wqanting to leave my family and go to my friends .. It was all about family and the simple things..

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Emergency Room Heater

@brandeentertainment wrote:

people lose there minds when they get cold I think .. I mean you hear stuff like severe whether warning for Toronto -14C ..

Honestly -14C I put a sweater on and go shovel my driveway for an hr then do an oil change and bring my kids out to play for an hr in my track shoes but I do wear gloves and put my hood up ...

I think to myself I am only a 600km or so from Toronto are they really so far they need to act like we are in different worlds..

-14C is a very nice day to me  I also hate the heat though ..

I was checking out some of the places without power it is not even that cold right now so thank god they will be ok and maybe some people will make the best of it and go back to when Christmas was really about family and friends and pull ot the board came and light some candles and maybe a little propane heater to make some hot coco or even over a fire if you can ..

When I was a kid which was only 20 years ago Christmas was alot better then it is now .. I don't ever remember complaining on Christmas about give or wqanting to leave my family and go to my friends .. It was all about family and the simple things..

I hate when people compare their adaptations to other's. It's so ignorant.

If you live in the north pole(or any other normally colder areas), -50 to -75 celsius is going to feel NORMAL to YOU.

If you live in Toronto where your body is used to +20 to -1, anything out of that range will feel totally messed up.

Also you seem to be fit and healthy, but many of us have severe pains (ie. hips, elbows, joints, headaches) when the temperature dips below freezing.

Not every person is adapted to live at the same temperature as you, so stop comparing please.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Emergency Room Heater

I can't see YouTube here at work but if that is the one with the flowepot and the tealight, don't bother.

Although the flowerpot will act as a heat sink, you won't get any more heat out of the tealight than you would without it. That basic physics- Law of the Conservation of Energy, if I remember high school science correctly.

You probably would do as well to close all your drapes, move into a single room, and stay together to share body heat. Put the baby in a sling or Snugli.

Never leave an open flame unattended.

Remember that an open flame uses oxygen, so crack a window --w hich would of course also negate some of the heating power of a candle.

If you are using a fireplace to heat your home, keep in mind that the greatest amount of heat comes from the coals not the flames. The sooner the fire can be banked down, the sooner your home will heat up.

But the exterior wall of the chimney will be releasing heat to the outdoors. That's why 18th century homes usually had the fireplaces in the centre of the house. Heat sinks again.

I used to sell woodstoves and had quite a bit of safety training. Our insurance was very stiff about that.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Emergency Room Heater

I have a fireplace in every room except the bathroom and kitchen.

BTW if I am trapped in a snow drift in my car at -40c with only candles for heat should I open my window 😉

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Emergency Room Heater

How many chimneys does that require?

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 8 of 8
latest reply