FYI....CANADA POST EXPEDITED...

katiusciav
Community Member
i sent a package out on april 12, and still not received by the buyer. as i was saying before, they now allow you to open claims much earlier than they used to, so i opened one (this is usually done more for the buyer, so they can have an actual ref. number and can see that i'm trying)...anyways, i got an email from canada post stating that they were going to refund the amount since it was still not received after 20 days. apparantly, they only used to refund after 30 days (business of course), but now its 20 days according to her. so if you have an outstanding item sent expedited approaching 20 days...open up those claims! i know myself from experience that the package will probably arrive any day, and that this timeframe for canada post isn't overly surprising...but at least they're STARTING to recognize there's a problem, and trying to remedy it in their own way...
Kat
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

lmobf
Community Member
Thanks for the information on the time changes Kat.

Regards
Ken
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Why ship through the post?

I have had to make numerous claims to keep my customers happy. They have never lost anything I've shipped. They just can't track it and take sometimes a month to deliver it.

In my listings I post:

"TO THE CONTINENTAL U.S. IT AVERAGES 10 TO 12 BUSINESS DAYS. THIS IS THERE ESTIMATE, (canada post/usps) AND COULD TAKE LONGER DUE TO CUSTOMS DELAYS. TO THE U.S. TRACKING IS MORE OF A CONFIRMATION OF SHIPPING AS UNFORTUNATELY THE USPS DOESN'T UPDATE THE TRACKING INFO. UNTIL IT GETS TO YOUR LOCAL DELIVERY AREA. WE SHIP AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE TO REDUCE THE DELIVERY TIME."

Invariably I get an e-mail asking or threatening to reverse the transaction because they haven't received the item after 5 days.

I reply by quoting the listing info as well as that Paypal has confirmed to me that they have the provided the tracking info. to them. Which they have.

It takes a lot of explaining why 15 days later it is still in Canada getting sorted.

CP over the last 3 years have doubled there rates while decreasing there delivery times. i.e. California 4-6 days to 10-12 days by expedited post.

I suffered through that with my costumers so that they wouldn't have the erroneous charges of the couriers.

Recently it has come to my attention, which I have taken advantage of, that FedEx doesn't charge any fees on items valued at less then $200.00. Other couriers are probably the same.

In any case FedEx Ground charges pretty much the exactly the same rate as Expedited Post. With complete tracking and 1/3 the delivery time. They also offer next day pickup at no charge.

I started to ask my customers after they had purchased my items if they would like FedEx delivery instead of the post at the same fee. 100% said yes.

I am in the process of offering FedEx as the primary option to U.S. customers in all my listings.

This is for U.S. shipments. Within Canada the post is O.K.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
In any case FedEx Ground charges pretty much the exactly the same rate as Expedited Post. With complete tracking and 1/3 the delivery time. They also offer next day pickup at no charge

what sort of items??? i use cp because other courier companies are too expensive to ship my items compared to cp. the only items that come close to the rates are oversized items...smaller items are much more expensive to ship through fedex. if cost wasn't an issue, you'd be sure i wouldn't be using cp...
Kat
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

what sort of items??? i use cp because other courier companies are too expensive to ship my items compared to cp. the only items that come close to the rates are oversized items...smaller items are much more expensive to ship through fedex. if cost wasn't an issue, you'd be sure i wouldn't be using cp...
Kat

To get favourable rates with couriers, you need to be shipping larger packages. My best discounts with Fed-Ex kick in at 20+ lbs. You probably will not see any wonderful rates if you are generally shipping under a few lbs each package. Canada Post still offers the best rates in that category. Sad, but true.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
A silver level PSer can get 40% off posted UPS rates...which makes shipping anything over about 1 kg less expensive than Canada Post Expedited to the U.S.

Monique

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

A silver level PSer can get 40% off posted UPS rates.

Thanks for the post whoscloset. Is this a promotion run by UPS in conjunction with eBay or are you referring to, in general, the amount that a silver PS would ship, could qualify for that sort of discount? I am currently using Fed-Ex and yes, I am quite happy with the service and yes, I am a silver PS but no, i am not receiving 40 points off posted rates. Not a lot less but, less. Much thanks.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I was able to negotiate 40% with UPS back when I was shipping about $400/week. It is completely separate from the recently announced ebay rate.

Monique

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Thanks Monique. Time to give them a call and see what they can do for me. Then bounce that number off my Fed-Ex rep and see who wants my business the most. Enjoy the day.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

pixelbarrel
Community Member
Don't your US customers end up with a FED EX or UPS Brokerage charge? That thought has stopped us from using anything other than Canada Post for the US.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
hi pixel-ups is anything valued at 20.00 or more, fedex is covered for those fees anything 2000.00 or under (i think that's the amount). ups also offers a custom clearance shipping fee that takes care of brokerage fees...
Kat
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
There are no UPS brokerage charges provided your item is valued at less than $200.00.

Monique

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
HUH? that's funny, i just confirmed on the phone a few weeks ago that anything over 20.00 is subject to brokerage fees with ups, which is precisely why i chose fedex instead??
Kat
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I've used UPS for 3 years...shipping tons every week. Never had a problem with brokerage fees provided that items are less than $200.00 in value.

Incoming, yes....outgoing, no.

Monique

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
its no surprise i got that answer...if you've been doing it for three years, then it probably is 200.00!
Kat
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Monique is bang on. It's $20 into Canada and it's $200 into the USA. I have heard the $20 amount into Canada MAY be raised sometimes in the not to distant future but for now, $20 it is.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
It'd be nice if these companies actually trained their CS reps. 😉

Monique

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
that's a whole other thread...
Kat
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

pixelbarrel
Community Member
Thanks for the info. Perhaps we'll do a price comparison and check it out.
Message 19 of 19
latest reply