Feedback extortion????

mcmdinc
Community Member
Here is a scenario...
Customer buys a product - in the listing it states that I provide a full refund (minus shipping) if they are not completely satisfied.

They received the item today and sent me the following message
----------------------
hi, i bought a hammock from you and it just came in the mail. It doesn't fit my car. i mean...the length and width is fine but the straps won't go around my back seat headrest. I hate to leave negative feedback. It will cost me a fortune to mail it back to you. What do you suggest i do?

----------------------
What the heck? NEGATIVE FEEDBACK - because it will cost a fortune for postage to return it?

I do not have any issue with the refunding the product.

I welcome any thoughts on how others would handle this.

Thanks
Matt
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Feedback extortion????

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
First off, anyone buying a hammock for their car needs to shake his head. Everyone knows hammocks are for motorcycles 😄

Seriously though, if I were you, I'd ask how come he doesn't know anyone with a truck or some other way to get the hammock home. Refunding a purchase for something because it doesn't fit in his car would be like refunding a buyer because they can't carry their new fridge home on their pedal bike.

Tell him to upgrade from a SMARTCar or borrow a truck OR find a local mover/freight carrier to bring the hammock home for him and ask them to bill you for it. Paying his moving bill for such a small item is probably better than refunding the whole purchase price.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
Oh and one final thought... refunding his purchase is all well and good but if he had his heart set on the item and is ticked that he can't use it you'd probably get the negative feedback regardless of how you accommodate him.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

katiusciav
Community Member
i wouldn't let him threaten you with a negetive. it isn't your fault it doesn't fit. you don't deserve a negetive. just restate your terms that you listed on your auction page, politely and firmly. he should have read your terms, and by bidding, he agreed to them. he's breaking his end of the deal, not you
Kat
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

katiusciav
Community Member
ask him what he thinks YOU did wrong to deserve a negetive? did you misrepresent the item? did you fail to state your terms? i would stick to my guns. you can't let buyers bully you around.
jmo
Kat
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

Can that not be reported as feedback extortion or would eBay side with the buyer as seems to be the norm?
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

jakeeangel
Community Member
No. Feedback extortion has to be blatant. Give me my money back or give me a free item or I'll neg you! What was written above can be interpreted a number of ways. Unless it's black and white the eBay CSR's won't understand it. 1 + 1 must = 2.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

Matt,
Stick to your stated terms. You might want to include the following sentence in your reply:

I hope we can reach an agreement, I'd hate to have to exchange negative feedback too ...

;-)
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

I would offer a small coutesy refund to cover his delivery costs to get the item to his home.

Find out how far away he lives then you can estimate what a cab ride would costs - then base your offer on that.

Cheers,

TIM @ FTL
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

I think the responders to this have missed the point. The hammock is for inside the car ... look at the product. He says it does not fit properly in his car ...
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

for_baby_and_you
Community Member
NO NO NO NEVER argue with customer who want to give you negative !!!!! NEVER EVER !!! This is your feedback and this is the most important thing in this whole eBay business...

Tell him to cross his address and write "RETURN TO SENDER" beside yours - this way he will not pay to send it back. Canada Post, USPS and all other services will do it for free... they don't advertise it but this service is free for all on line purchases.
Don't try to explain anything....

Kasha

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

The last post is a joke, right?
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

katiusciav
Community Member
I couldn't tell..? ?:|
Kat
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

whoscloset
Community Member
I hope so.

Monique

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

mcmdinc
Community Member
For those who posted comments, I am posting the final outcome...

Based on your input, I asked the client to explain why she felt negative feedback would be warranted.

She replied that she purchased the product not realizing that her car did not have rear seat headrests to attach my product to. By leaving neg feedback she felt she could alert others before buying and ensure they have rear headrests. ??? (no disrespect to blondes on this PSer board... but clearly I forgot to check the client's about me page to confirm her hair color...LOL)

She finally left positive feedback 12 days later and put an end to this issue.

Thanks for the input on this board! It helped me focus on the situation and guide the customer to closure (and a chuckle!).

Matt
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

katiusciav
Community Member
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH matty...i'm blonde!! and i'm the one who suggested to ask her why negetive feedback was warranted...glad you did...probably made her look again at what she was doing and realize it wasn't really warranted. glad i could help! lol!! blond or not!!;-)
Kat
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Feedback extortion????

*stealthtech*
Community Member
dont get me started ?:|

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=500021938&tstart=0&mod=1181051312492

:_| Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com

Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com
http://pages.ebay.ca/theme/mystoryarchive/sean.html

Message 17 of 17