Final value fees on international shipments with calculated domestic service.

I quote the ebay.ca help site at the following link http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html#fvf

If you list on eBay.ca and a Canadian buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using the shipping service that the buyer chooses.

If you list on eBay.ca and a US or international buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your international or express shipping service

Now this makes perfect sense if the domestic service is a flat cost to all buyers.  But, what happens if the domestic service is calculated and varies by buyer location... and an international buyer purchases your item with an expensive international shipping service?  Is the final value fee for shipping still based on the domestic service?  If so, how is it calculated? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I've never used calculated shipping, so perhaps another seller can answer your specific question, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were one of the reasons that the majority of eBay sellers use flat rate shipping.  According to a comment fairly recently by one of the eBay.ca staff, that number is something like 70% of sellers.

The advantage of flat rate shipping is that the seller has complete control over what shipping costs will be -- and as a result, how much protection the seller wants or needs, and how much in FVFs on shipping the seller wants to pay.  Given a choice, I think most buyers will pick the cheapest shipping, which in some cases is not appropriate for the seller's needs (e.g. expensive item going overseas).  As an example, on items over $250, I stipulate Xpresspost to the US and internationally, but usually discount the shipping within Canada to a flat $5 or $10, or sometimes free.  This works well because most of my buyers are in the US or overseas anyway.

Perhaps offering free shipping domestically is the only way to benefit from the FVF break if you use calculated shipping -- I don't know.  Otherwise, I don't see how eBay can come up with a domestic figure to base the FVF on if the sale is actually international.  Someone who uses calculated shipping may be able to give you some hints. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

For calculated shipping on your first domestic shipping, the cost used is calculated from and to your postal code.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
For calculated shipping on your first domestic shipping, the cost used is calculated from and to your postal code.

Thanks 'poco'!  Although I've never used calculated shipping, I figured eBay must have had some way of automatically generating a value for the domestic side.  Hopefully the OP will return to see your response. Cheers!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I have been keeping a keen eye on the thread and I am much obliged for the answer.  Ebay Customer Service wasn't able to provide an answer, or really even understand my question, so, many innumerable thanks!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

My understanding is that the FVF is determined by the lowest domestic shipping rate that you publish. Calculated shipping, I "think", means that there is no published rate. FVF would then be determined by what ever the buyer pays as there is no other rate to base the FVF on.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

My understanding is that the FVF is determined by the lowest domestic shipping rate that you publish. Calculated shipping, I "think", means that there is no published rate. FVF would then be determined by what ever the buyer pays as there is no other rate to base the FVF on.

That's incorrect. As poco stated in his post, the fvf would be determined by the postage costs from and to the seller's own postal code.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

How about when listing on eBay.com?  Again, I reference the eBay.ca help site at the following link http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html#fvf

If you list on eBay.com and a US buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using the shipping service that the buyer chooses.

If you list on eBay.com and a Canadian or international (non US) buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first US shipping service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your Canadian or express shipping service

Suppose the seller is based in Canada, the "domestic" service to the US  is calculated, but the eventual buyer is also based in Canada, and opts for an expensive delivery service.  In this instance, the seller has no home zip code in the US for a "from and to your zip code" calculation.  How our final value fees determined in this case?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Your scenario would not apply since the Canadian seller with a Canadian address cannot use calculated shipping options on eBay.com. On eBay.com calculated shipping does not have any Canada Post shipping options. All options are for USA based shipping services (USPS, UPS, FedEx). These would need a USA shipping address to calculate shipping from.

Now some Canadian sellers do sell on eBay.com and have a USA shipping address and can use calculated shipping.  They drive down to the USA to mail their packages or use a forwarding services to bring their packages to the USA to be shipping using USPS. They have an USA address to use so they can use USPS. I have not used these services so I will not comment further.

A Canadian seller listing on eBay.com and only having Canada Post shipping services available should not use USPS services since they are not able to ship that way.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply