First time ever 24 hrs with no sales... 36 now ... Anyone else in the DVD business

I don't really wanna know why people think they are having bad sales just want to know if they are...

I am cetain it is only ebay because I always have sales on amazon...

I was doing 10-15k a month in sales every month until about 3 or 4 months ago for yeas now I am doing 2-3k a month ....

SAD

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

First time ever 24 hrs with no sales... 36 now ... Anyone else in the DVD business

Funny you mention it.

I had no sales yesterday & one on saturday. This usually never happens on a weekend.

Not concerned YET as Omniture traffic is about the same last month & sales are up so far this month.

Sales are also up for the year, but this is the first time i have really worked the store.

Was probably a little too complacent in the past.

I never complain about lack of sales as i am the Master of that Domain.

Be prepared & get ready as i think there will be a lot of promos over the silly season.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Unless I'm seeing something wrong, didn't you have a sale last night at 11:36pm and one today at around 11am as well?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

My mistake, three on saturday, i mentioned one in a previous post.

You got me excited for a minute, but i double checked & nothing yesterday & nothing so far today.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I had one today after my post for $9.. Yesterday i think it was already sold just paid for

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Ya I am revamping my entire store to push the sales and do a few things no other dvd sellers do to try and bring me to the top but I know what is kinda hurting me and that is charging taxes but in my extremely busy life i have no time to go over 5000 sales every year to input my own taxes ..

Prices i usually get better pricing then most even if they have the same wholesaler because I buy 100's even 1000's of the same title ...

Example Whole sale order Olympus $7.99 got them for $5 because I bought 200 copies..

My Pricing is for the most part very competitive and I am certain between me charging taxes and maybe something to to with ebay being so full of movie my sales are dropping ..

Time to be inivative and turn this horse and buggy back on to the yellow brick road

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I aim for about 10 cards sold per day and September has been subpar so far.

Over the last six days, I've sold... 7, 32, 12, 0, 5, 0.

Thought things were taking a turn for the better after those first three days. Had my hopes and dreams squashed over the next three.

Trotted some new inventory out to try and shake things up, but man oh man it is slooooooooow.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Slow again today with no sales.

This doesn't happen very often.

Three hours to go, hopefully something happens.

Maybe time to list some auction items to drive traffic to the store.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It's just ebay being ebay. 

About  2 months ago I had my sales go crazy for a few days. Since then, it's been painfully slow. So, I'm thinking it's me. I start revising my listings, including items that I don't normally......whatever. 

So I go to search for my item....and it's not there.  My belief is that ebay has once again changed up their search and results. WT hay is he talking about? you may ask. Here is my example. 

go to ebay.com, go to the digital cameras section. easiest way is to just search 'digital camera' then click on the category to the left.

Search for J30

what comes up? 

For me, it comes up with a Nikon J1, and somewhere in the description it says a 10-30mm lens

what did I expect to come up? For me it has always been the Fujifilm J30 camera. It's an older 12mp camera made by fujifilm.

So which matches the search better? 

J30 = Nikon J1 with 10-30mm lens? 

or 

J30 = Fujifilm J30

Without getting into the intricacies and nuances of my example, the point I am trying to make is that this search does not, IMHO, come close to matching up with the correct item and in my experience this has not been the case before. Historically when I searched for an item, it would match up the text first.. It seems glaringly obvious that something has changed in the search.

This is in addition to them deleting being able to search for cameras by brand. (yes, you can put canon in the search, but you can't filter 12mp cameras by, say, Canon, Sony and Panasonic. which you used to be able to do)

So now my cameras are buried underneath 100's of these cameras, and there is NO easy way to find it. The only way you can find them is to search Fujifilm J30. So if someone wants a cheap older 12mp camera, they will not find it easily.

My overall point is that it appears that ebay's search results have been changed yet again to weigh more on different factors. Maybe the poplularity or age determines the relevance. Maybe price does. Point is, it looks like they may have signinficantly changed the search results and this can be impacting  results.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I'm not in the DVD business, but aside from a huge spurt in late August, sales have been painfully slooowwww. 

I tend to agree that eBay's search system has changed, and probably not for the better for many.  Or maybe it has something to do with those "1 Million Free Listings" eBay keeps offering.  

I have a feeling that unless you're able to splatter thousands of listings all over a category like certain big commercial sellers I probably don't need to name, you're going to end up mixed in amongst the thousands those sellers are able to list, like a little black dot in a kaleidoscope.  Not to mention that we're selling from Canada... 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You're right Rose.

I think we all knew this year would be a bumpy road.

In my category If one is just starting up & about to sell mainstream product exclusively on eBay they will be unsuccessful.

The competition is just too fierce for unestablished sellers.

I have given the same advice to Newbies that contact me offline, keep selling on eBay but find alternate venues to sell your product.

Pierre is very good at predicting trends & i would think he would say there will be a lot of promos over the silly season.

All we can do is prepare ourselves.

Must be tough for the full time sellers.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I'm not in the DVD business, but aside from a huge spurt in late August, sales have been painfully slooowwww. 

Or maybe it has something to do with those "1 Million Free Listings" eBay keeps offering. 

Exact same thing for me. August has been busy, especially the end of the month. A few sales at the beginning of September, but since the promo started: not ONE sale! Since the promo ended last Wednesday, bingo! I made a sale the day after that. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply