Fraud E-mail... Please Read and Be Aware >>

souranial
Community Member
Hi everyone!

I just recieved an e-mail from a very poor attempt of being eBay. If anyone receives the below message, please disregard it. I happened to know the hosting service where this theif was hosting his fake eBay sign in page so I gave them a call and they are going to take care of this by tomorrow. In the meantime, nobody follow any instructions in this e-mail (it was such a bad attempt at stealing our information that Im sure none of you have or intend to even take it seriously).

Anyays, just giving everyone the headsup!
Happy Monday everyone!

Regards,
Daniel

Dear eBay User,

During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we could not verify your current information. Either your information has changed or it is incomplete.

As a result, your access to bid or buy on eBay has been restricted. To start using fully your eBay account, please update and verify your information by clicking the link below :

https://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?VerifyInformation

Regards,
eBay Inc.

***Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail As You Will Not Receive A Response***

Copyright © 1995-2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Please forward this to spoof@ebay.ca as well so that if they intend to press charges they can really put an end to these useless excuses for human beings.

I still get around 10 fake PayPal emails per day telling me my PayPal account is about to expire in 5 days. Somedays I get over 30 and this has been going on now for about 3 or 4 months.

Malcolm
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

souranial
Community Member

I know what you mean! Those e-mails have never stop!
I will take your advise and forward the e-mail to spoof! Boy those guys at spoof have their hands full!

I guess you should always verify with eBay about an e-mail that you get regarding login, signin, and other personal information. Thats probably the saddest thing for humanity to this point. 😞

Daniel
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Daniel
We had a spammer trying to get into our server to use it to spam people with the types of email that you just received.

You see even though you sourced the ISP to where it was being hosted, these spammers usually go through 9 or 10 servers (different hosts) and do it illegally so the one you received the spammed email may from is probably just the last one in the entire link.

Often when it is investigated, they will see that it came through another company, another host and they will then take it back to them and place the blame on that business, then they will produce their records and find that it originated from a different server and so on.

That why I suggested you bring it to eBay's attention as the chain of these things is usually pretty long and very hard if not impposible to check back all the way to their source.

Most of the ones looking for personal information pretending to come from eBay or PayPal originate out of Russia, as I have been led to believe.

Last week we just happened to see all these 'enquiries' onto our server (47,000 in 45 minutes) and we were able to block him.

He tried again using a different address and we blocked him again. This went on for a couple of hours and he finally gave up.

We ran a series of reports and could see the number of different systems being used before he arrived at ours.

Thats were we feel we have more control over our system because we do everything in-house and not have an outside 3rd party watching over our site and our listings.

Malcolm
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
I don't think even a moron would have fallen for that email. It's poorly written and makes no sense. I hope it was forwarded to spoof@ebay.com. I have to hand it to ebay, they are pretty good at investigating these idiots.

Jackie...
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
Although not Ebay related, I received a new scam letter today....

Dear U.S. Bank account holder,
We regret to inform you, that we had to block your U.S. Bank account
because we have been notified that your account may have been compromised by outside parties.

Our terms and conditions you agreed to state that your account must always be under your control or those you designate at all times.
We have noticed some activity related to your account that indicates that other parties may have access and or control of your information in your account.

These parties have in the past been involved with money laundering, illegal drugs, terrorism and various Federal Title 18 violations.
In order that you may access your account we must verify your identity by clicking on the link below.

Please be aware that until we can verify your identity no further access to your account will be allowed and we will have no other liability for your
account or any transactions that may have occurred as a result of your failure to reactivate your account as instructed below.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

https://www.usbank.com/account_verify/cgi/index.htm

Before you reactivate your account, all payments have been frozen, and you will not be able to use your account in any way until we have verified your
identity.

Okay, first of all, I don't have a US bank account....
and second I believe if my bank wished to communicate with me they would identify themselves maybe with their name and logo....

What a jerk.... kind of reminds me of the joke of the newfie computer virus.... "You have just received a newfie computer virus. We are not too technologically advanced, so please just erase all of the files from your computer. (no disrespect to the Newfoundlander folk on this board....) only in this case, it would be you have been a victim of a computer email bank fraud. We are not too technologically advance, so please just send us all of your money.....

Jeff
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

souranial
Community Member
Jeff,
I was ROFLMAO when I read your post! The same thing happend to me! You would thinkg that a bank could state the name of a person who's account is beinc shut down as it shouldnt be something that is being sent out in bulk! I got the same kind of message telling me that my computer will stop working within 3 days unless I enter my IP address. Yeah, uh-huh, whatever!

Regards,
Daniel

Message 7 of 7
latest reply