Free shipping should not get 5 stars automatically here is why

Big glitch in ebay DSR.

I had to rate a transaction and for shipping cost, the system put an automatic 5 stars because it said shipping was free. It was free in the US but not free to ship to canada but still read the US information only.

I think that the system should also read the international shipping also. I dont know if this was a glitch or not but it just goes to show you how DSR is flawed.

The transaction was fine i had no problem with the shipping price but still....

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I am a Canadian seller.  My listings state Free S&H within Canada.  I list the S&H charge to the States and other countries are asked to contact me for quotes.  I am making sales to the USA.  It seems to work fine and I've never gotten a complaint.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I agree. but ebay's rating system is a joke anyway. Even with free shipping they could ship 2 weeks later and because it is "free" you have no right to complain or "rate" them on it. I had 1 item that was free shipping that took 3 1/2 weeks to get here (an it was from within the same province). They got a 5 for shipping. Item was great except for shipping. only recourse is leave them a negative which based soley on shipping they did not deserve but they sure did not deserve a 5 for shipping either.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

stevephinn2012, shipping DSR has two separate ratings, shipping charges and shipping time.

electric-pixel is complaining that ebay rates Shipping Charges DSR automatic 5 even when shipping to him was not free.

I agree, it's poor programming.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Actually, that's not correct.  DSRs for shipping cost and shipping time (meaning only the time the seller took to get the item out the door) are rated separately.  

Sellers have to state a "handling time" in their listings, which you should take into account before buying, especially if shipping is stated to be free.  If a seller sends an item by lettermail, you should be able to determine the date it was dropped off at the Post Office by the cancellation stamp.  If the seller used online labelling, there should be a confirmation emailed to you when the label was prepared and/or linked to your item on eBay.  You can then leave "shipping time" DSRs according to the date the seller shipped, not for the time the Post Office took to deliver it. 

The issue from a seller's point of view is that buyers very often confuse shipping time with delivery time in this way, leaving low DSRs for "shipping time", when the problem is actually due to delays by the Post Office (or other delivery service), bad weather, postal backlogs, etc. over which sellers have no control.   

Is it really fair in any case to expect to be able to complain about something you got for free if the seller did get the parcel into the hands of the Post Office within his stated handling time? 

Chances are the seller used a lower level of service, like surface parcel, not air -- which is completely understandable.  Shipping anything by air over 500 grams within Canada is getting very expensive (there is no "small parcel" service within Canada).  If you need or want an item quickly, it's best to look for a seller charging the normal air parcel rates. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Big glitch in ebay DSR.

I had to rate a transaction and for shipping cost, the system put an automatic 5 stars because it said shipping was free. It was free in the US but not free to ship to canada but still read the US information only.

I think that the system should also read the international shipping also. I dont know if this was a glitch or not but it just goes to show you how DSR is flawed.

It shouldn't be like that so it could be a glitch.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

If you offer free shipping in your listing—and we can confirm the buyer didn't pay for shipping—you will automatically receive a 5-star rating on your shipping and handling charges detailed seller rating.

Apparently there is also a glitch that if a buyer gives you feedback using the ebay mobile app, an automatic 5 star is not giving even though all of the requirements have been met.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Big glitch in ebay DSR.

Hi electric-pixel,

Mind dropping me an email with the item number so I can take a look at this for you please?

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It shouldn't be like that so it could be a glitch.

I agree that it should be a glitch... OR... if the seller is from the US and used the GSP program, he will get an automatic 5 stars even though he should not. 😞

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Correction to my previous post (forgot an important part):

I agree that it should be a glitch... OR... if the seller is from the US, specified free domestic shipping AND used the GSP program, he will get an automatic 5 stars even though he should not.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply