G&M post this regarding cross-border shopping

"Forget patriotism -- shop at the .com: Eagle-eyed on-line shoppers who have been looking for DVDs or books for Christmas may have noticed something peculiar: In some cases, the same item seems to cost less at Amazon.com than it does at the Canadian version of the website, Amazon.ca. Of course it does, you say -- but that difference disappears when you convert the U.S. price into Canadian dollars, right? Not always. For example, if you buy the Shrek 2 DVD and the third Harry Potter movie together at Amazon.com, it will cost you $43.93 U.S., or $52.76 in Canadian dollars, and that includes shipping costs. The same bundle at Amazon.ca - with free shipping - costs $68.98. The major difference? Tax. The Amazon.com price doesn't include PST or GST. But isn't it your duty as a patriotic Canadian to pay those taxes? Sure it is - and you go right ahead. I'll be shopping at Amazon.com."
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

ospreylinks
Community Member
Well, if the goods are shipped from the US, will you not also pay duty and GST when they land? Is that taken into consideration of your comparison?

Jeff
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Jeff
NAFTA has meant that many of the items crossing the border between Canada, the US and Mexico are duty free and those that may be charged a duty are done so at a very minimal rate. The conditions have to do with the material and workmanship in what is being imported being mostly from one of the NAFTA countries.

I used to go shopping in the US and stay o/n for 2 nights to avoid paying duty. That was before NAFTA. Now I simply go for the day and declare what I have purchased and pay tax on it which is less expensive than even one night's accomodation let alone 2 nights plus meals etc.

Patriotism? To heck with the retailers who rip us off. I can buy a Black and Decker corded drill in the US for $9.99 compared to paying $34.95 here for the same drill. You remember Black and Decker, that great Canadian company!

Same with clothes. I can but mens dress pants in NY for $18 made in Canada where as the same pants here are $85.

I have been shopping across the border for over 20 years and I am heading down on Monday with the family to do some Christmas shopping. I'll spend about $500 buying $1,200 worth of stuff and pay $75 at the border in tax.

Some places are taking Cdn at par so even if I fork out another $50 in exchange, I am paying about half what I would had I shopped here (even buying Canadian made goods).

Malcolm
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Oh, Lord.

I won't even shop at WalMart.

Ann
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Who is talking Wall-Mart?

Many Cdn retailers took advantage of the high duties we imposed on the importation of goods. Few of those companies are in business today. Examples include Beaver Lumber and Eatons who took advantage of Canadians and thrived on nothing but pure greed.

Canadian lumber and even finished products crossing the border into the US selling at 50% of what we paid for our own goods here in our own country.

I lived in Atlanta and shopped at Home Depot (before they were in Canada) and bought Canadian made picnic tables made with Canadian lumber for $18 while those same picnic tables sold at Beaver Lumber for $59.95.

Merit suits made in Montreal selling in Eatons for $450 while available at Burlington Coat factory for $129.

I support my local businesses as I want them to survive and be there for me up to a point. But when an ice storm comes along and that local business charges $4 for a loaf of bread when a few days ealier it was $1.59, then that business hasnt been the type of neighbor I want in my backyard.

Or when the local gas station is the first to raise its price and the last to lower it every week, well its time to take some business away from him and hopefully force a change in ownership.

Patriotism and supporting business is fine so long as it isnt all one-sided with the consumer giving all the support and the merchant taking advantage of a captive audience.

Malcolm
Message 5 of 5
latest reply