Grrrr.... Just venting about NSF cheques

I know I've been pretty lucky - I've been selling on eBay since 1999 and this is the very first returned cheque I've had, but boy, do I feel personally affronted!!
Buyer is now NARU and her email addy bounces - guess I'm gonna eat this one 😞

Que sera ...
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

ospreylinks
Community Member
Does she have an address on the cheque....

Is there any other way to contact her via phone, etc.

Jeff
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

This also happened to me....loss over $280 with service charges. I know his both his phone # and address (no answer when I called), any ideas what I can do about it. I have wrote eaby twice regarding his fake personal info, and they haven't emailed me back and don't seemed to want to do anything about it. Love to at the very least have him kick off.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

fenian
Community Member
A couple of things that have worked for me in the past. (1) you can have your bank place the cheque with his bank for collection. If he deposits enough to cover the cheque or more, it can be scooped for the cost of a bank fee. These characters don't always realize that a dishonoured cheque can be processed this way, and forget to place a stop-payment on it. (2) If you live in the same general area, you can go the "small claims" route, although this is time-consuming. (3) You can have a notary prepare a "bluff" letter advising that issuing an NSF cheque in payment for goods and failing to make good on it constitutes an offence, and that information will be filed with the office of the Attorney General for the province in which he resides, as a first step to legal action. The letter should provide a last chance to cover both the cheque amount and all your costs. Notaries have some good template letters for these situations, and the fee is fairly nominal. Keep the Board posted on how you make out.......and good luck! ..... Michael
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Rosane, my bounced cheque is only $25, and as such I don't consider it worth while to persue it further - I have a box # address but there is no phone listed under either name on the chq., and of course as eBay has NARU'd the buyer I cannot get a phone # from them. For $280, though, you should try everything you can. Michael offered some excellent suggestions. Is your deadbeat in Canada or the US?

Ann
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
If you are in Ontario, there are very, very, very few independant Notaries. Notaries in Ontario are pretty much only lawyers, unlike some other Provinces.

If your customer is in the US, a letter from a notary wont mean anything as anyone with a clear record can become a notary for about $10 (I was one in Georgia as an example).

For that matter, for a habitual fraud artist or someone bouncing cheques anll over the place, a letter from a lawyer will mean absolutely nothing.

Writing an NSF cheque in Canada is not a crimincal offense and is of no conseqeunce to the Attroney General. It is a civil matter between 2 parties.

This is different from US law which treat the writing of a cheque where funds are not available, as a criminal offence for fraud. In Canada, a cheque is treated simply as a Promissory Note.

Sending the cheque out on collection by way of your bank through the customer's bank as suggested by Michael is an excellent suggestion and the best way to proceed.

You should give your bank instructions to put the cheque out for 30-day collection (typically they will put it out for a 10-day collection only).

Small claims court will do you very little in terms of actually collecting the money and will cost you about $75 to file, plus your time, parking etc etc etc..

What you will end up from going the Small Claims route is a judgement against the buyer which you can use to attach to his assets or income but you will still have to find the person, where they live, bank and work.

In all likelyhodd, you will get default jusgement as the person will not attend Small Claims Court to defend the action. So no money, just a piece of paper confirming that you were ripped off and the other person didnt defend the action and you are out of pocket at least another $75.00.

I can also tell you that I started a Small Claims action over a year ago and my trial date has been set for Spetember 17th, almost a full 18 months from when I filed to get my day in court.

You can also turn your NSF cheque over to a commercial collection agency. They will likely charge you 50% of what they collect but they will be more aggressive than you will be and better at finding where your customer resides, banks and works.

50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

I would try sending the cheque out on collection first and then consider the collection agency. Remember, if the collection agency doesnt collect anything, you pay them nothing and you can always turn the cheque over to a 2nd collection agency.

Just haveing a series of collection agencies going after him may be a way of getting it paid or getting some personal satisfaction that he is not being allowed to enjoy what he got from you without paying some sort of a price,in this case harrassment from collection agencies.

Malcolm

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
As Malcolm inidcated, Small Claims Court is really a waste of time, doesn't guarantee payment, but the judgement will show up on the offenders credit bureau report...(so they still get to write bad cheques, just have difficulty getting a loan or credit card).

And in terms of collection of funds, once you get the judgement, it really again falls to you to track them down and get payment (much the same as you are doing now).

Honestly, if it is for a small amount, in terms of time and costs, you are probably just best to write it off as you will probably never recoup the value of for the time wasted trying to get your money.

Just my 2 cents....

Jeff
Message 7 of 7
latest reply