HAS ANYONE ELSE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE?

katiusciav
Community Member
i got this message today from an ebay member as follows:

Hello!
My name is Anna, I'm a manager of Gamepost company (http://www.gamepost.ru/). We buy and sell software products in USA and Russia.
But we've got problems with selling our products to the USA, 'cos most of our clients prefer paying throuth paypal.

But russian paypal accounts can't recieve transfers. I hope, that sometimes this problem will be solved, but now we need partners to accept paypal transfers from our clients.

The point of this job is the transferring of money sums to our partners and clients in Russia.
Work process includes 3 steps:
1) receiving the transfer (on your Paypal account),
2) getting cash and
3) shipping money to our partners. (through MoneyGram or Western Union)
Your commission is 10% from the sum, that comes on your Paypal account.
The sums are minimum $ 1500, usually more.

If you are interested in this job please email me: gamepostjob@pop3.ru
Please don't use reply from ebay
Sorry if you were not interested

Anna

i don't really understand it? is it a scam??
Kat
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

This has SCAM written all over it. Sounds similar to the scams that NBC have been highlighting on their investigative reporting shows. Delete it and don't reply.

Andrew
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

for_baby_and_you
Community Member
SCAM !!! SCAM !!! SCAM !!!

Kasha

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Forward it to ebay. If this stuff is coming through ASQ they should deal with it.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
i was just about to ask that...shouldn't i forward it to ebay...and i think i will do just that...
Kat
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I can't believe the scammers are only offering 10%.... I guess they are trying to SOUND legitimate! LOL

Andrew
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
so i just received an email back from ebay stating that anyone trying to solicit transactions outside of do so to try and obtain user id's and passwords--never would have thought of that one...i'm very naive...when it comes to scams/frauds/etc...i'm pretty good at detecting them, but horrible at figuring out WHY. i would never be able to think up a 'scam'...i just don't have the brain for it...:|
Kat
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Kat, I remember when the fax machine first appeared in our office and replaced the Telex. Everyone was so exited and eager to use the new technology. Immediatly there were faxes from Nigeria stating about how you could make 5 million quite easily..... That was over 25 years ago(approximatly) and that particular scam is still on the go. The names and places may have changed but the game still remains the same. Unfortunatly the internet makes it easier for these guys to reach alot more people.... and make alot more money.

Andrew
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

sunshine2426
Community Member
Scam, never got that one but many others, just delete it Kat 🙂
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
That bloody Anna has been around for a while emailing TONS of people. You should see the numbers of people asking about her on the Selling board. eBay's done nothing about this witch. It's highly possible the people didn't report her or didn't report her properly or that she keeps opening/stealing IDs. I don't know.

Kat, you can't tell why this is a scam? Are you serious?

First clue - Russia
Second clue - money for doing nothing
Third clue - using your PayPal account to transfer funds
Fourth clue - send them payments by Western Union or Money Gram (no way to recover your funds)

Can you say money laundering? And on top of that, when/if you get a payment it will be from a stolen credit card which will then have a chargeback done on your account. They send you $2000. You send them $1800. They then do a chargeback on you for $2000. You lose everything and if you don't have the funds in your account, PayPal closes your account till you repay them. If you don't repay them, they come after you legally. Ruin your credit and your business.

Because of the laundering aspect of it you could be in trouble with law enforcement agencies too. PayPal could even want to sever ties with you permanently. Not just freeze your account till you repay what you owe them.

It's a nightmare and a half. They appeal to people's greed and foolishness. Money for nothing? SURE! :^O Multiple payments of at least $1500 - cha-ching! WooHoo!! Ya, until you start losing your shirt and everything else you own! Who knows, these guys may even be involved in identity theft.

You got that right Andrew! I went through that early stage as well. It amazes me that people fall for it. I can't for the life of me see how. Some things are so transparent and to me, this is one of them. Very sad indeed. 😞 Imagine the numbers of people that fall for this? Only a very small percentage of people report. The rest are so ashamed they suffer silently. In can absolutely devastate people's lives. It's awful but in many ways they brought it on themselves.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
NO Sunshine!! Do not just delete it. You have to report it to eBay so they can do what they can to get this person off the site. They rip off many unsuspecting foolish, greedy people. The only way to try to stop them is to report them to eBay.

Deleting them does nothing. It's not a spoof, pretend/fake eBay email. This person is using eBay accounts, either their own or hijacked ones to send this crap via the eBay email system. You have to report them so eBay can do something. It seems like they're doing nothing but they have to be reported so they can. If nobody reports them eBay doesn't know and can't do anything about it.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
debbie-i knew it was probably a scam...what i don't always know automatically is the details involved in the scam...you know the whole process from a to z...but i do know when to detect them...i've never fallen prey to any of them, no matter how good they were.
anyways, you're hilarious debbie-your posts crack me up...:^O
Kat
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

sunshine2426
Community Member
I always report and then delete it Jakeeangel 🙂
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Of course it's a scam. They deposit money in your paypal account from compromised credit card or paypal accounts. You western union it to someone they designate. When the charge back comes what is your recourse? Your resposible for all of it.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
Just don't western union it back:-)
Kat
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

lmobf
Community Member
I get these two or 3 times a day somtimes. Seems to depend on what you are selling at the time.
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I just received the exact message. Reported it. It seems to be making the rounds.

Andrew
Message 17 of 17
latest reply