Has anyone purchased Items that the seller clearly does not own?, and through contacting, has admitted this, and tries to switch items?

gordellis
Community Member

recently purchased two watches on best offers, approx 12th Aug, 2012. Through contacting with seller, I have found out that he has, and is selling watches that he does not even have in his possession. I know I can place cases on him for my transactions, but is there anything further that can be done?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Has anyone purchased Items that the seller clearly does not own?, and through contacting, has admitted this, and tries to switch items?

leb17
Community Member

Hi...

Has anyone purchased Items that the seller clearly does not own?

Yes, there are a lot of sellers on ebay that sells items that they don't own or even have in possesion of the item, they are called "Drop Shippers" but they must list the item location correct, if not then they are in violation of ebay listing policy and can have marks put on their record.

The only thing that can be done is, pay for the item, if not received by the 43 day file a INR (Item Not Received) claim with PP (PayPal),

If the item on the listing is not the item thats on the listing, you can file a SNAD (Significantly Not As Describe) claim with PP.

NOTE: both claims above MUST be filed no later than 45 days from payment with PP.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It may be that he risked listing anticipating an order from his supplier. Ask point blank if he can ship or not. If not, refund.

Even if shipping is a go , open that dispute on day 43.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hello 'gordellis',

Other than opening cases, "is there anything further that can be done"?  Like what, having him publicly disembowelled in the town square?  Drop-shipping, though most unwise, is not uncommon.  It does not mean you will not get your items.

If the items do not arrive at all, or are not what appeared in the listing, you have 45 days from when you paid to file those claims.  If it comes to that, do so no later than day 43.  The following link will tell you about it, although I've a hunch you are familiar with it already:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

And, as I'm sure you know, you have 60 days in which to leave feedback. 🙂

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Seller does not appear to be a dropshipper as we interpret.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

In addition to dropshippers, there are those (myself among them) who have items "on consignment" to sell for others. We do the work and the consignor gets part of the profit.

Sometimes the eBay seller is silly enough not to have the consigned item in his control. This can get messy all around.

As suggested, ask the seller if he can send the item as described on Monday. If he says yes, wait for arrival.  If he says no, ask for a refund and a Mutual Cancellation.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply