Have any of you bought a "pallet" ?

chrispenner
Community Member
I am debating on buying a pallet and wondered if it is worth the $5000. what is your experience with it? anyone know?
Thanks!
Kathleen
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

hdwrench1
Community Member
A pallet of what???
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

chrispenner
Community Member
You can buy pallets of anything you can think of, electronics, clothing, cookware, you name it. here is a link that explains it.

http://eis.net/lib/start.cgi/vkpatel/listings.html

Kathleen
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
I have bought pallets before from a company in SW Ontario that specializes in returns from electronics stores. They never proved to be highly profitable. For the most part they tend to be salvage and the write-offs tend to be high.

I have also bought from a couple of liquidators in the USA. In all instances they proved profitable over time, if you are prepared to arrange the trucking and do the customs clearance.

My suggestions would be: liquidations - yes, salvage - no

Cheers!

Bill

Bill

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Treasure-pot's response is the most positive response I have ever seen regarding pallet purchases. Most of the posts I have read on the .com board are horror stories about people buying "5000 assorted dollar store items" and receiving a huge box of different coloured "10 cent" combs etc.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

can-import
Community Member
What did you expect from dollar store stuff???

I am thinking about buying pallets to... Would really like to hear about others experience.

Talking about pallets from Returns, Closeouts, Overstocks, etc... You know, stuff from wal-mart, zellers, sears, etc...

Houseware, Electronics, Computer parts, etc...

Would really appreciate your comments!
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

brcyclesalvage
Community Member
I just checked out that website. I just love this one

40,000 boxes of Like Tide Detergent available......75cents a 1 lb box.....take all deal

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
"Returns" are returned for a reason.

Zellers, Walmart, Sears. The Bay all accept items back from their customers for the flimsiest of reasons. A warning for returns from these stores - returned inventory often suffers more damage in the back of the store before being sold to an "Asset Recovery" company. By the time these companies sell it (generally you are not allowed to get to close a look at what you are buying) it is often near trash condition. For example, a friend purchased a pallet of assorted lamps in closed boxes on a shrink wrapped pallet. When the boxes were opened virtually all had destroyed glass shades or the bases were broken. $350 down the toilet.

Future Shop has their own techs go through all returns meticulously to determine what can be salvaged in store. If it can't it is shipped back to a central depot and accumulated until it can be sold by the truck load to an asset recovery firm in St Catherines. You may think you are buying a valuable pallet of assorted stereo or computer hardware but most of it is only valuable as a door stop or boat anchor. Sears, The Bay and Zellers don't have the expertise to check these things out in the stores and the asset recovery places know it. That's why Future Shop pallets sell for $300 - $500 (depending on the mix) and Sears/Bay/Zellers pallets sell for almost double that amount.

My last comment would be that you have to be a serious risk taker if you are going to buy pallets from asset recovery companies. Be prepared to lose money on some pallets, break even on most and make money on the odd one. You should also have a van available to haul a lot of stuff off to the dump.

Bill

Bill

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
I went to that web site posted. I like the 60,000 hooded sweatshirts. Imagine the bath the person took who is sitting with these unsold sweatshirts. Yikes!
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

gencollection
Community Member
brcyclesalvage (745 )(view author's auctions)
15/10/03 9:36 AM (# 6 of 😎

I just checked out that website. I just love this one

40,000 boxes of Like Tide Detergent available......75cents a 1 lb box.....take all deal

hehehe....i also think this one was cool...

Who's gonna take it and start making money with EXCEL 🙂
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
"Like Tide" . I'm sure its JUST like tide thats why some company was forced to dump 40,000 boxes it was so great.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

mevans_cda
Community Member
I went to one of those asset recovery places to check them out, perhaps even the same one Bill is speaking of in St. Catherines. They have a huge warehouse and you can look inside the pallets to get an idea of the contents. Bill is exactly right - products are returned for a reason and it's an awful chance you're taking. Many of the items have a sticker that indicates the reason for return such as the switch on a lamp is not working, or pieces are missing or broken ... lots of different reasons. But unless you have the time, know-how and willingness to go through the whole pallet and fix what needs fixing, you're probably not going to make money. Some will just be garbage and you hope that the percentage of "throw-away" items is not too high but these companies make no guarantees and they don't even sugar-coat it much. You could do well enough over time, but it wouldn't be my first choice on a source for products to sell.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

can-import
Community Member
Then what would be a good source for products to sell? I need more ideas! I dont want you to name wholesalers or places where you go exactly... but would like some ideas!

Thanks
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
I suggest going to the AMSD show. I went to the last one in Las Vegas and it was a mecca for Ebay sellers. Ebay even had a booth set up and I had time to talk to some of the developers in my catagory. Thousands of companies showing products. Surplus inventory/ Clearouts/ Special purchases/ Dollar store items etc. One Item that I found at the last show was 1,500 nice picture frames with a clock for 38 cents each. Too cheap of an item for me to sell on ebay (tried it and got $5.00) so I cleared them out quickly at a flea market to other vendors.
FOR SURE worth checking out this show.

http://www.merchandisegroup.com/merchandise/index.jsp
Message 14 of 14
latest reply