Have you used Fedex to ship from Canada to U.S? I'd like to get feedback.

I was just checking a price on Fedex to the U.S., and comparing it to Canada Post and it appears to be a lot cheaper.  Has anyone else used Fedex and how was your experience?  My item right now would be $44.00+ with Canada Post and Fedex is quoting $20.98.  I'm wondering if there are extra charges for customs, or anything else.  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

One of the reasons Canadians detest couriers is that private companies cannot ignore shipments that exceed the "duty free" limit of $20 for imports to Canada.

Americans have it better, their "duty free" limit is $200.

If your item is lower than $200 (not including shipping), then FedEx may well be cheaper.

If it is over $200, duty and sales taxes will kick in. Unfortunately, FedEx has a nasty habit of charging these to the receiver AFTER the parcel has been delivered and signed for. If the reciever refuses the parcel, FedEx comes after the sender.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Is your real worry about loss or damage claims?

Because you can use Small Packet Air to ship up to 1 kg for $15.56.

This is not a Delivery Confirmed service, but the chances of loss in the mail is vanishingly small.

If you are worried about breakage, well, of course your first step is overpackaging. (I just got a comic book that had four sheets of cardboard taped together plus a plastic bag and a poly envelope. For a $2.99 purchase. How does your packaging for china compare to that?)

You could also look into shipsurance.com who have a good reputation as a one-off insurer at decent rates.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

No. I've never had breakages, and only one loss, but I was trying to find a cheaper way to get the items to a buyer. It seems as though Canada Post is just so expensive. Thanks for your suggestions, again.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

fedex also charges the customer brokerage fees,my sons girl friend purchased my son a t shirt the brokerage fees were more than the item was worth by the time it was all said and done,they might ship cheaper but its the customer that pays the difference,thats the way it is importing into canada using fedex i stay away from sellers who use gsp,fedex,and ups,i have never been charged brokerage or extra fees from usps
Message 5 of 5
latest reply