Help in identifying bird sculptures from the Dominican Republic please.

Hello Everyone!

I would like to know if anyone knows anything about these bird carvings. I know now it is from the Dominican Republic (D.R. inscribed under the base). It is heavy. I thought at first that it was an Inuit sclupture made of soapstone.  But it is not made with soapstone (I think). Does anyone have any idea what kind of material it is made of, the artist and also its probable value. I have not found another one on EBay or elsewhere. Sending you the pictures.The big bird is approx. 8 inches and the smaller ones 6 inches. Thank you all.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Have you googled the name on the bottom? That could be the artist.

I think Google also has a spanish language service. No idea how to find it, but it may turn up different information than the American version we are used to.

If you find something, you can use Google Translate to change the Spanish to English.

Google will also wash your windows, advise you on your diet, spay your cat and teach you how to tango.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you femmefan! The name that we see is the name of a city in the Dominican Republic "Puerto Plata" 1995. The second similar bird I had bought before this one just had D.R. as an inscription and thought that this was the artists' initials. But no! I found out by the Puerto Plata name under the second bird  that finally D.R. was Dominican Republic.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If they are unsigned, nice as they are, it probably isn't worth the time you would spend researching.

At least in terms of profit. If you like them and want to keep them, research is fun.

The small size says to me that they are tourist items. Just right for packing in a suitcase.

You could try googling 'dominican republic ceramic factory' and see if you can find the manufacturer.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hi femmefan!  I did what you said, but nothing came up that resembles these birds. Maybe I will find something later on but for now, like you said, I have so much other reseach to do. I don't believe that they are worth very much either or I would have found something by now. Thank you again for your help. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply