Hi there.. newbie here. So how does the bidding work? No matter how many times I bid I am instantly outbid by $1. What up!!

2012attila5557
Community Member

The detailes are basically it..  I bid, click to comfirm; instantly the price appears a dollar more and I am told to be out bidden.  Irepetead it several times just to make sure.  I am sure it's one of the ropes but I am just not familiar with it.

Please help!  I love the helmet and bidding is over in a few hours.  Thanks!!

Desperate preplexed

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi there.. newbie here. So how does the bidding work? No matter how many times I bid I am instantly outbid by $1. What up!!

Don't panic.

Most experienced bidders only bid once. That one time they will bid their maximum, having accounted for the shipping cost to Canada.

Eg- An item shows a "winning bid" as $7.00. You bid $8.00 and the bid changes to $9.00 because I bid $35 on the item. With the $10 shipping to Canada the seller has advertised, this is well worth my while.

If you are willing to pay $36(plus shipping) bid that. You will now be the "winning bid". But if another buyer comes along and bids $40 - and there are no further bidders- he will win at .....

No, not $40 but at $37.

There is little point in "nibble bidding". Bid once, bid late, and bid your maximum.

If another bidder bids more , he is paying more than it was worth to you.

PS, I mention shipping because a lot of new eBayers don't realize that if there is no FIRM price in the listing for shipping to Canada, the seller can charge whatever she sees fit. And with Delivery Confirmation (another story) shipping from the USA starts around $25.

If the seller does not specifically give a Shipping and Handling fee for Canada, Contact her before bidding and ask for a quote for USPS (yet another story) shipping to Canada.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

leb17
Community Member

Hi...

Just to add...don't place a max bid ie..$8.00, place a bid like $8.03 or $8.57 or $8.98 have a better chance of winning but not always 100% sure.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You are oubid because another member has placed a higher one. Ebay bids in increments to that member's max bid...

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/bid-increments.html

Put the item on your myebay watch list and observe the bidding. As the end nears be ready to place a bid for the max you are prepared to pay.  Its called sniping and experienced bidders will place in the final 10 seconds. Use 2 windows , one to refresh for time and the other ready to place bid.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

PS .. what you see is not necessarily an indication of the outcome. As i said , experienced members bid late. If a $100 item is showing at say $25. , may in up at 60,70 or more. Your MAX win or lose.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Here is the automatic bidding process.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply