~~How Long Can A Package Sit At Customs~~

jaymor8
Community Member
I sent a package out on the 10th of November via Xpresspost, to the states. It still has not yet arrived and the tracking number registers as 'item has entered the destination country' on the 12th. I am assuming that this means it's at Customs. How long can I tell my lady it may take?

She's really peeved and wants me to investigate it or get CP to do that and I think the next request will be to refund her and keep the insurance for myself. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions??

Jackie...
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
You cant do any tracing until 30 days from shipping date has transpired.

I have had items sent Expedited take just over 4 weeks to deliver to the US.

Also USPS does not update tracking information until 24 hours after the goods have been delivered.
Malcolm

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Sorry Jackie I forgot to tell you what you can do about it.

This will buy you some time with your customer:

Tell her that you will contact CP tomorrow. Then the next day tell her you have contacted CP by telephone and they are to get back to you the next day.

Then email her late the next day and tell her that CP has contacted you and advised they are getting in touch with USPS and should have an answer within 48 hours.

By that time it will be the weekend and she will have to wait until Monday and she will probably have the item by then.

If not, tell her you didnt get a call back from CP and you will follow up. Then tell her CP hasnt received any response back from USPS and they will follow up.

By this time it will be December 10th and you can file a claim with CP and tell her that CP and USPS couldnt find the item and a claim has been filed.

Voila! Pass the blame where it belongs and show her how diligently you are working on finding her lost article.

Malcolm

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

brcyclesalvage
Community Member
Check the tracking # on www.usps.com it is usually more detailed than the CP website.

Ryan
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Thank you everyone for that advice. Both are terrific ideas and I will do both, too.

Thanks Malcolm and Ryan!!!!!

Jackie...
Message 5 of 33
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
On the canadapost.com site, after entering your # you can choose to have them email you when the item has been delivered.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Malcolm, your suggestions are beautiful! I'm going to print that out and keep it for posterity -- never know when that kind of bafflegab could come in handy. Did you ever think of running for politics?

Glenda

Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Glenda
I feel somewhat guilty as I am really an honest person however when I become the victim of badgering by some nincompoop who starts to compain they havent received their parcel after 3 days and they choose the least expensive shipping method, well its time to resort to double talk, delay tactics.

I have done this a couple of times and when the package arrives the people email me back and are so greatful for my extra efforts in following up with all the postal authorities and ensuring they receive their parcel.

Malcolm

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
LOL @ Malcolm. I actually think it's a clever purchase of time. I initiated it last night with my lady. I didn't hear back, so I guess it's satisfactory. I will email her tomorrow and give her phase 2.

Hey, if people are going to behave moronic, they will be treated moronic. She expects me to refund her now, while the package is still in transit. So eventually she'll have the product and the money? Nope....don't think so. Not this week anyway :))))

Jackie...
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Jackie
Good one!
Let me know how successful you are with my suggestion.

Maybe I should get a copyright on it and auction it on eBay. The thing is you can have fun with it as you see the your once upset customer think you are spending countless hours on their behalf.

What I also like about it (this is the phsycological thing about the method) you are transferring blame without blaming anyone.

You are suggesting at first that CP may be the problem and before the customer knows it it is their own postal system that not only must be responsible for possibly loosing the parcel but they are not responding to CP in a timely fashion (the ba$tard$).

Malcolm

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
LOL - oh was a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

Did you like that one? I made it up. It's my favorite ;)))

Jackie...

PS.... I agree with ALL of your posting!
Message 11 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Absolutely Love it. Copyright it, put it on a card and sell it.

Jackie, I think you just came up with the Candian PS Slogan. We should have it imprinted on those eBay "Thank You" cards eBay sent us in the Welcome Kit. That will make us stand out from our US counterparts and re-affirm what some buyers think about us.

Malcolm

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
I didn't get any kit :((( Is it nice? What's in it and what did it cost you, Malcolm???

Jackie...
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Jackie
I cant believe you didnt get the kit yet. There was an earlier thread and I think it was Darla that said to email her if you didnt receive it.

You may be sorry you asked however.
Malcolm

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Jackie
I know what happened to your package it is stuck at Canadian customs.

Let me call my USPS rep and I will get back to you...
Message 15 of 33
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
ROFL @ Malcolm. Aren't you on fire today 🙂 Keep em coming.

Were we supposed to submit something to ebay, to have that package sent? Why will I be sorry that I asked? Is it gay? Bottom line...will it cost me money?

Better check my contact info. I can't remember if I put a real or a bogus address in my account *wink*

Jackie...
Message 16 of 33
latest reply

aa-surplus
Community Member
I deal with customs all the time and this is my 2 cents.

If your items are worth alot then you should have a broker and this will end the customs issue, but if you ship small inexpensive items then you can have items held at customs for over 4 weeks. things you should note when shipping to the US or other countries, if you pack your own items for the love of god do not put them in a box that says may contain meat products or better yet never I say never use a box that has had a white powder like flour in it.. just my 2 cents

aa-surplus
Message 17 of 33
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
aa-aurplus - your input is much appreciated. I would have thought it obvious however, that shipping powder like substances could be problematic. LOL

My items are many, but each has a small value to it and especially when I hear tales of postal insurance only paying claims in the value of what I myself paid for any item, I fail to see then why customs should be placing it's perceived value on anything, not to mention taxing that amount through duties. The whole thing is a bizarre system who's control is in everybody else's hands but our own. It's frustrating. It's a hierarchy that I cannot comprehend and I never will.

Jackie...
Message 18 of 33
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Just to add to aa-surplus's list, don't mark the following on your packages either:

1) Caution - contains Plutonium triggering device

2) Handle With Care - Rare Tropical Plants

3) Live animals enclosed - open with care!

4) To Be Opened Only By Vaccinated Personnel

5) Private & Confidential - Jimmy Hoffa's Location

6) Declared Value - $1,000,000,000.00 (Carefully Laundered)

These statements may also cause some level of delay at customs.

Cheers!

Bill

Bill

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Or, how bout ~~Fragile - Handle with extreme care - petrie dish with bacteria samples enclosed~~

Muahahahahahahahahaha....and all that jazz 😉

Jackie...
Message 20 of 33
latest reply