How do you know when someone is selling you something fake-I bought a case and it was fake?

I bought a case and thought it was an original -as the seller led me to believe. When I contacted the seller they were sorry about your luck your out of time...I wasn't but  didn't push the issue. What really bugged me was that it was from BC. If it was china I could understand. But a fellow Canadian. Wow I hate sellers like that and it really makes me not want to purchase anything again on eBay. I really hope people like that get the message because your customers wont come back

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

How do you know when someone is selling you something fake-I bought a case and it was fake?

What is the item number?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

It is over 45 days since you purchased this case so nothing can be done with ebay or paypal.

Posibility of chargeback if you paid by credit card if you phone the 1-800 number on the back

of your card.

You have already left positive feedback which you cannot change but you can do a follow up

with your feedback.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

If you mean this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171022648776

How can you call it a fake...the listing states "100% Brand New Generic  item" and "Brand:Unbranded/Generic"

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

No it had OEM . When I worked retail OEM meant originally came with a set or in a computer bundle etc. it didn't mean fake. I didn't pay 6 $ . I paid more. I find the miss use of the language appalling . I have bought for years on eBay and have never had a seller like
BNIB Iphone 4 4S Lifeproof Case - PINK - 100% Waterproof (181170968565) | 41 | 100.0%
Sale date: 10/07/13

This was the add - see the life proof ?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

No I did not mean my Mac computer case which I love. And I love the vendor thank you .
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Btw I find it creepy you know that ???? How ?
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Are you saying that it isn't made by Life Proof?

Or that it is made by Life Proof but your concern is their use of the word OEM?

OEM does have a meaning other than being part of a computer bundle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

My problem with this whole deal is - as stated in the add it was listed as a life proof - it is not . It broke within two days of receiving it- I put that down to my bad, but when a friend pointed out what to look for in the packaging and it proved to be true- it was a definite fake - the cover had iPod instead of iPhone - this was pointed out to me much later. I can understand if I purchased it overseas . But this was listed in Canada under  and he is doing it again . When I emailed this vendor they basically said kiss my butt too late . Well sorry but when you rip someone off .... I will be in your rear view for a while

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Being CDN has nothing to do with it. Cdns are honest? Why do we have courts, police, and jails?

Creepy? You publicly bought something on a public site. Pierre is a crafty dude. Once on the internet, always on the internet.

You can always try to file a SNAD as the 45 day limit is just a guideline.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Well here's a tip for you.....

"US Seller" or "Canadian Seller", sellers who use these terms are usually hiding the fact that their goods are from China and they are just another middleman taking an extra cut.

Price! When you see a brand name new item selling for much less than normal retail, in this "case" (ha ha), about a third of retail, it's often an indicator of something wrong. Either it's a fake (or a reject or a return) or stolen goods.

In any event, if your seller is not co-operative simply open a Not As Described claim, fortunately because it was shipped from Canada the cost to return won't be too high and it's possible the seller may pick that cost up (under pressure from eBay).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Price! When you see a brand new item selling for much less than normal retail, in this "case" ( ha ha ), about a third of retail, it's often an indicator of something wrong.

Pretty sound advice to all buyers.

Wish they would come here first so they can be pointed in the right direction.

Still sad that so many are still being taken.

I know the regulars are tired of seeing these words directed towards dishonest sellers, but again " Karma Baby."

Yes, do as recped suggested & file a INAD.

Good luck.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

There are great deals and there are bogus deals.

I was sitting on eBay when parts for my table saw showed up. The guy was parting out his saw and didn't care. Great deal.

There was a Toyota MR2 on autotrader at a bogus price. It was up for weeks, not there now. I guess someone "bought" it. Every possible red flag was there. I bet they got a couple hundred replies. Bet they got a whole load of Western Union deposits, payemnts, you name it. It was bogus in every way, still, people would have sent money.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I think we all remember the Western Union Money Order Scam on eBay a few years back.

Boy a lot were taken in with those.

I think eBay eliminated WU Money Orders before they eliminated Money Orders in general though i stand to be corrected.

I still think sellers can accept Money Orders but cannot mention them as payment in their listings. Again i stand to be corrected.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

You are right, MOs are acceptable. I could not cash them, couldn't deposit them.

The WU scam is still alive and kicking on CL and autotrader. It is also Moneygram through Canada Post.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

And here's another red flag I noticed in the listing.  This seller is advertising a 100% waterproof, shockproof case, yet he/she felt obliged to include this disclaimer -- yes, in red typeface no less -- which I interpret to mean the seller expected to have problems with this product: 

"Seller DOES NOT reimburse for water damage, cracked screen or any other damage resulting from improper handling or misuse."

Caveat emptor.  Still applies (sadly) 2500 years later. 

Personally, in addition to trying an INAD case, I'd be tempted to report the seller for policy violation.  The listing as a whole smacks of misleading description.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply