How many days?

sunshine2426
Community Member
Hello everyone,I would just like to know how many days do you all list at auction?
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

How many days?

girlie_susy
Community Member
I generally list for 7 days. More exposure that way. I hardly list for less than that. If it's a 10 cent listing day or something, I list for 10 days to get the added exposure and so my listings don't end the same day as everyone else.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

Hi Sunshine,
I usually list for 7 days too. On the 5 cent listing day we just had I listed some at 3,5 and 7 days. I have found if I have them all end on the 7th day they don't do as well because so many things are ending that day. Sometimes I list for fewer than 7 days if I want the listing to end on a certain day of the week.
Judy
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

katiusciav
Community Member
for me...it ALL depends on when the auction will end...i won't let an item end on monday or tuesday night, and NEVER during the day-unless its a weekend. and even then, make sure it doesn't end too early for the other people three hours behind us. i always aim for an item to end at 9pm or later on thursdays, friday or saturday nights-they have always been my best nights..
Kat
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
You used to be able to start a 1-day auction and turn it into a 14 day auction without worrying about relist fees. I say 'used to' because I haven't done it since before Christmas so I don't know if eBay still allows it but the process is as follows:

By revising your 1-day auction with at least 12 hours left, you could turn it into a 3-day auction.

By doing the same thing with at least 12 hours left you could revise to a 5-day auction and again to a 7-day auction. This process while tedious can give you a maximum of 14 days exposure (or 24 days if you want to pay for a revised 10-day listing) with one insertion fee.

I mention it here due to your previous post regarding many watchers and no bidders. The above only works if your item has had no bids. Once there is a bid eBay doesn't let you revise the duration anymore but if you got a bid chances are you may get more (or at least sell the item).
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

whoscloset
Community Member
I list 7 day auctions to end every night of the week.

i won't let an item end on monday or tuesday night

I find those are my two best nights for sales followed closely by Sunday.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

katiusciav
Community Member
really..? maybe i'll experiment again with that..:-)
Kat
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

girlie_susy
Community Member
hey orbit, that's an awesome tip! i'm going to try it for my next round of listings! Thanks!! 🙂

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

sunshine2426
Community Member
Lately it doesn't matter what day it ends it's dead!LOL
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

That's a nice trick, but I don't think eBay allows it:

>>Fees and Limitations
For a 10-day listing, there is an extra charge. All other durations are not subject to this additional charge.
Note: For eBay Motors Vehicle categories, the 10-day duration is not usually recommended.
For a 1-day listing you must have either:
A feedback score of 10.
A feedback score of 5, and have a PayPal account and accept PayPal as a payment method.
Notes: If your account does not meet these requirements, you will not see the 1-day option when listing your item.
Changing the duration of a listing - In general, you are not permitted to change the duration of a listing. The only exception is extension to a 10-day listing, for which there is an extra charge. For additional information, please see the Circumvention of eBay Fees policy.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
I usually go with a 10 day auction. I usually start my listing on Thursday evenings and then this means they end on a Sunday evening. This allows the auctions to run through 2 weekends. My theory is that there are more people looking for something to do on a Sunday evening while there relaxing before work the next day. It's just a theory.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
From http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/duration.html

"Changing the duration of a listing
If you have listed an item and wish to change its duration, you may be able to Revise Your Listing."

From http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/edit_listing.html

"Time left before the listing ends
More than 12 hours

Did the listing receive bids?
No

What you can revise

--->* Revise any information except the selling format.
* Remove the following optional features only: Buy It Now, eBay Picture Services, Reserve Price, 10-day listing.
* Add optional features to increase your item's visibility (for example, bold).
* Add or change a Gallery picture.
* Add or change pictures using eBay Picture Services.
* Reduce the start price of your item. (You will not receive credit for the difference in your insertion fees.)"

As I stated earlier, I have not tried it since Christmas but it used to work and I ran many auctions this way without ever getting a reprimand. I actually borrowed the trick from Skip McGrath. I guess if you want to try it you can call your level of powerseller phone support and ask if it's ok or not because as with all information pages on eBay there are different contradicting views.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

"Changing the duration of a listing
If you have listed an item and wish to change its duration, you may be able to Revise Your Listing."

Yes, as long as it is to extend it to ten days and pay the extra listing fees. Otherwise it is considered to be fee avoidance. That's pretty clear and not contradicted by the passage you quote.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

whoscloset
Community Member
Ann is right.

There was a U.S. PSer who designed a program that would automatically extend your listings if there weren't any bids within 24 hours of it's end. Many started using it and ebay supposedly received complaints. A few months back they revised the rules and while you might technically still be able to do it...it is now considered fee avoidance.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

bestshowtime
Community Member
The best when you are offer first -3 days, +2 days(5 days), +2 days(7 days) and if you think that you have a lot of customers(watchers) 10 days!!! But your auction will be total just for 10 days. Extra-0.40$ for last 3 days(total-10 days)!
In my experience you will have more buyers in first 5 days because people like shorts auctions then you will have just watchers who compere price on this item!:-)
But remember that you are get more money for you item if somebody start bidding in last minute on the end of 10 days!!!
:-):-):-)
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

How many days?

bestshowtime
Community Member
Hello everyone,I would just like to know how many days do you all list at auction?
If you go in my auction you can use everything for your auction page. I will never report you to eBay like some powersellers. Welcome to use my experience and good luck!!!:-x
Message 16 of 16
latest reply