How to cope with troublesome buyers?

glossygirl83
Community Member
I'm sure all sellers have come up with their own way to deal with troublesome buyers. I find in the last month I have had quite a few buyers that are giving me quite the headache. I had a buyer today claim that they had a dress come with holes b/w the seams that they needed to be fixed. here is the email
Hi, I received this dress a few days ago and just realized when i put it on for an event this weekend that there are 4 large holes between the sequin band and the dress. I would like some kind of compensation for the defect. I brought the dress to the seamstress and she said it would talk $15 to fix. I think $20 would be a reasonable amount since I have to spend the time to get it fixed. Please advise. Thank you.
Now does anyone find it odd that they would take it to a seamstress before contacting the seller? and secondly this buyer has left negatives for their last 3 purchases. I don't know if it's a scam or if it's a leigtimate problem. I'm pretty good about finding any flaws before shipments... but what would you say to this buyer? what would you compensate? If we start offering refunds for the sake of DSR ratings more and more buyers are going to take advantage. I have another dress that's fine and can be exchanged.
In my head i think to myself if you purchased a damaged item from a store would you really ask to be comensated addtional money for having to drive down to exchange it? That's why I think it's a bit much, why do people online feel that they can get away with this sort of behaviour.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alyson
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I'd ask this customer to send it back for refund/return with the promise to compensate most economical return postage as well.

Until now all the customers I have given this choice decided to keep the goods.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

glossygirl83
Community Member
Yes! I started doing that, and i have found that most of the time they will keep the goods. However I guess just because of all his negative feedbacks it makes me a bit nervous that he's found a loop hole in the system. If he opens a dispute in paypal that the item is not as described.. how does paypal go about solving that issue?
However I did e-mail him with your advice that he could about either exchange the item for a brand new one or a full refund including shipping both ways... I guess I will have to see what he says about it!
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Once I had item not as described (I was buyer). PayPal wanted me to ship the goods back to seller to qualify for any refund. At my expense. The shipping would have been more expensive than the missing portion of order, so I just yelled at the poor schmuck at PayPal until they refunded the estimated loss from PayPal's pocket. It was just some $20 and she admitted they have some limit for this type of situation.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply