How to do a refund to Russia past 60 Days?

Hi All,
I have run into a dilemma and not sure how to deal with it.

A customer from Russia purchases an Item on Oct. 5th 2009. Today (January 26 2010) I get a message from him informing me that the package has not shown up. As the item is inexpensive and went by mail the fastest way to deal with it would be to do a refund. So I go to PayPal and try to issue a refund but since the transaction is past 60 days they will not allow a refund. So next I try to send the guy his money but PayPal will not allow accounts in Russia to receive money only send it. So I do not know what can be done at this point.

Not sure if he can leave feedback a this late of date or not either. But just trying to do right by him.

Thanks in advance,

Gehres
Gehres

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Your buyer can't leave feedback after 60 days.

But just trying to do right by him

That is good of you (no sarcasm).

The only thing I can suggest, offer the buyer a credit for future purchases or offer to send them US Cash by mail.

Other possibility which has some baggage would be to offer to pay for something on their behalf but this is fraught with PayPal SPP problems.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Recped,

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought of sending him another but since it has gone missing once I hesitate strongly and will maybe do that as last resort only. Sending cash creates a similar problem.
Gehres

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Out of curiousity, which service did you use to ship? Lettermail? Light Packets?

It is curious that he would take so long to let you know the item hadn't arrived.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You could always send him the money by the dreaded Western Union.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You could always send him the money by the dreaded Western Union.

Why dreaded ? I love WU.

Today I did 2 international bank transfers at M&T. It took well over 30 minutes to do them and each costs $40, takes 3 days to receive. Everything is communicated over the phone, and because I was sending both to China, everything had to be spelled out. Then I was doing one WU at Walmart - 5 minutes, cost $14, money available in 30 minutes.

The only thing better than WU is PayPal, but unfortunately not many factories in China take it 🙂

OP, lettermail is more secure than parcel for very simple reason - the mailslot may not be able to fit parcel but will always fit letter. There is much higher chance of neighbor stealing parcel, but not letters (if the person has mailbox). If it was just a few dollars, ask him if he has mailbox for letters and send him the cash or postal check in secure envelope.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
I also find it strange that you were informed so late in the game, you have no real proof that the parcel was lost

Mind you I don't have all the details, to me it seems bad practice to refund without proof, or word gets around like buy on ebay and say you never got your item and get a refund

seems other countries had major problems like Italy for one, not to knock them but it seems only like 20% receive there package.

Thank God for the new settings under "BUYER REQUIREMENTS"

YOU CAN DISABLE CERTAIN COUNTRY'S NOW 🙂

Was getting tired of refunding or resending to Italy & so have many sellers if you notice in there listings, WILL NOT SHIP TO ITALY

one does not really know if it's customs or the buyers .

anyway kinda strange you were not able to just send funds via email.

Have a good Day 🙂
T.J.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

seems other countries had major problems like Italy for one, not to knock them but it seems only like 20% receive there package.

Thank God for the new settings under "BUYER REQUIREMENTS"

YOU CAN DISABLE CERTAIN COUNTRY'S NOW 🙂

Was getting tired of refunding or resending to Italy & so have many sellers if you notice in there listings, WILL NOT SHIP TO ITALY

one does not really know if it's customs or the buyers .

I just had to answer this, I send lot of orders to ITALY, have NEVER had any items NOT get to their destination.

And a number of sellers in my sector have chosen not to sell to ITALY, which has been great for me. They are some of my best customers.

Just my 2 cents 🙂
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi All,
I have run into a dilemma and not sure how to deal with it.

A customer from Russia purchases an Item on Oct. 5th 2009. Today (January 26 2010) I get a message from him informing me that the package has not shown up. As the item is inexpensive and went by mail the fastest way to deal with it would be to do a refund. So I go to PayPal and try to issue a refund but since the transaction is past 60 days they will not allow a refund. So next I try to send the guy his money but PayPal will not allow accounts in Russia to receive money only send it. So I do not know what can be done at this point.

Not sure if he can leave feedback a this late of date or not either. But just trying to do right by him.

Thanks in advance,

Gehres

I'd call Paypal and ask if they can over-ride the refund process. I suspect they can.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply