Huge Increases in Some Canada Post Rates and Service Cuts

I just heard on CBC radio that early in 2014 the letter rate will go from 63 cents to $1.00 or $0.85 if you buy stamps in bulk. Nothing was said about the heavier letters or U.S. and international rates but they are likely to drastically rise too.

Also over the next 5 years home delivery will end completely being replaced by super-group mail boxes and 8,000 jobs will be eliminated.

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

kashka
Community Member

I guess paying out those employee performance bonuses last year for the corporation going in the red for the first time didn't work out...And I bet the CEO will still keep his half mil salary and probably get a bonus for this new change..

Seriously..you can't make this stuff up...lol

http://www.thestar.com/business/2012/10/06/canada_post_pays_bonuses_to_7402_employees_despite_financ...

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

@kashka wrote:

I guess paying out those employee performance bonuses last year for the corporation going in the red for the first time didn't work out...And I bet the CEO will still keep his half mil salary and probably get a bonus for this new change..

Seriously..you can't make this stuff up...lol

http://www.thestar.com/business/2012/10/06/canada_post_pays_bonuses_to_7402_employees_despite_financ...

You didn't mention this part....

"This year Canada Post, however, did not pay a corporate team incentive, which is paid across-the-board to all 56,000 employees"

Nice twisting of stats by the Toronto Star, why didn't they use the headline "Because of financial pressures less than 15% of CP employees received a bonus in 2012".

I have no doubt that CP has quite a few useless slobs working for them just as I'm sure there more than 15% of their employees who work very hard.

If you need to motivate your employees to be more productive giving them less money isn't going to get the results you want.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 55
latest reply

@widgetc wrote:

I just heard on CBC radio that early in 2014 the letter rate will go from 63 cents to $1.00 or $0.85 if you buy stamps in bulk. Nothing was said about the heavier letters or U.S. and international rates but they are likely to drastically rise too.

Cost of using stamps will rise around 35% for most weight classes of lettermail.

Letters are to get a stamp rate and a metered rate.

There will be no rate change in January as originally planned.
Instead the new lettermail rates start March 31, 2014

First rate shown is if you use stamps, second rate shown is for using metered mail, last is the
2013 cost with percentage increase if you use stamps.

Canada
30g  - 0.85  / 0.75 from 0.63  (up 35%)
50g  - 1.20  / 1.15 from 1.10  (up  9%)
100g - 1.80 / 1.60 from 1.34  (up 34%)
200g - 2.95 / 2.60 from 2.20  (up 34%)
300g - 4.10 / 3.65 from 3.05  (up 35%)
400g - 4.70 / 4.15 from 3.50  (up 34%)
500g - 5.05 / 4.45 from 3.75  (up 35%)

USA
30g  - 1.20  / 1.15 from 1.10  (up  9%)
50g  - 1.80  / 1.60 from 1.34  (up 34%)
100g - 2.95 / 2.50 from 2.20  (up 34%)
200g - 5.15 / 4.52 from 4.36  (up 18%)
500g - 10.30 / 9.05 from 7.60  (up 35%)

International
30g  - 2.50 / 2.20 from 1.85   (up 35%)
50g  - 3.60 / 3.19 from 2.68   (up 35%)
100g - 5.90 / 5.19 from 4.36  (up 35%)
200g - 10.30 / 9.05 from 7.60  (up 35%)
500g - 20.60 / 18.10 from 15.20  (up 35%)

Info source: Canada Post website

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

The question is:

Will the Harper government approve those increases - by law first class mail must be approved by Parliament - less than two years from the next federal general election?

Any bets?

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

I'd bet they will be approved. Canada Post may be an important service to people in the mail order business but for the vast majority of voters it's a non-issue.

For another segment having taxpayers pick up the tab for their losses would be even less popular.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 55
latest reply

"The Government of Canada has informed Canada Post of its intent to provide temporary pension relief from the need to make special payments, including solvency payments estimated at $1 billion in 2014 alone."

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whenever Canada Post made an announcement for any postal increases, it is set as in stone, never mind if they didn't have approval from the government!  That is how they operated!  Is there ever any "not approved" in the past?  Nah!!

I always wonder why do they or any companies need to increase every year, why not give us a break for a few years before increase again?

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

"Whenever Canada Post made an announcement for any postal increases, it is set as in stone, never mind if they didn't have approval from the government! "

I am sorry but that is incorrect.

Back in 1994, Canada Post proposed a small rate increase from $0.50 to $0.52 (domestic medium size and first class mail to USA) and from $0.88 to $0.90 (first class overseas).

They even printed the (Christmas) stamps for distribution to the post offices in October 1994.

The government rejected the rate increase and Canada Post had to destroy the stamps already printed and arrange for printing of $0.50 and $0.88 Christmas stamps - available in post offices on November 3rd.

So yes, the government of Canada has been known to reject postal fee increases, even a two cent increase!

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

Since there is a suggestion of 35% increase across the board, I am all for it, but would like something in return:

1) remove prehistoric 20mm thickness limit on FCM

2) add trackable barcode

3) speed up the service to 2-3d between major urban centers even coast to coast.

Basically, align service level with same service from USPS. I believe my suggested changes will not require lot of technology investment since CanadaPost already has most in place and they were just milking "upgrades to parcel services".

Write to your MP for government to make the price hike conditional.

I think if CP aligns the FCM service level with USPS, it will create major boom of small ecommerce in Canada and will put CanadaPost in the black for the next 5yrs without having to think about additional source of revenue. Companies like Futureshop, who currently offer free ship over $20 would be able to offer unrestricted free ship.

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

It was very hard to run online bussiness in Canada due to high shipping fee. We will see, it will be even harder. Somebody sell portable steam sauna for around $100 in USA with free shipping. You know what kind the case in Canada, shipping fee cost you $58, ebay and paypal handling fee cost you $20. You have no way to compete with US seller due to hugh delivery fee.

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

lettermail in canada does not bother me as i do not use stamps so the increase is very easy to absorb but for US and International the increase is huge as I can not use lettermail as my post office does not allow it so I have to use light packet.

OUCH

Change to Light Packet service

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

did no notice till i posted but the 150 grams that is awesome for me but still the rest is a big increase

Message 15 of 55
latest reply

"lettermail in canada does not bother me as i do not use stamps"

???

I am confused.

If you do not use stamps, what do you use to pay for your lettermail postage within Canada.

PayPal postage is not available for such service and this is where rates are scheduled to go up 30%-35% effective March 31st

Message 16 of 55
latest reply

Double Ouch !

Due to the increases in Small Packet Air I will have to eliminate items over 250g to International Destinations.

Jerseys, sweatshirts & some shirts will no longer be financially feasible to ship overseas.

Oh well, not all doom & gloom as the percentage of my International Sales over 250 are minimal.

The other increases I can live with.

I can imagine this is going to hurt a lot of sellers.

Message 17 of 55
latest reply

BB, where do you see the increase for "small packet"? I am having trouble with the inert changing of terminology people are doing.

Photobucket
Message 18 of 55
latest reply

Having problems finding the increased rates again. Should have bookmarked the page.

I know it comes into effect on January13th.

I know International Small Packets over 250g are between just over nineteen & twenty two.

Of course it depends on the zone.

Found Brandes link which is accurate

Message 19 of 55
latest reply

That is what it is now.
Photobucket
Message 20 of 55
latest reply